Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 736
Default Matt Hatton splits from Bob Shannon

Matthew Hatton has split from Bob Shannon after loosing two of his last three fights. A shame because I thought they made a good pairing and seemed to have a good relationship
CamR21 is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592
Default Re: Matt Hatton splits from Bob Shannon

Matt wouldn't have won either of those fights with any trainer, do you know his reason for leaving?
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Klitman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Strange one, considering the quality of his last 2 opponents (canello and brook).

He could have had roach in his corner for both fighs and still lost.
Klitman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundy View Post
Matt wouldn't have won either of those fights with any trainer, do you know his reason for leaving?
I don't mate but this is what Shannon had to say:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
CamR21 is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Article Link - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to ***********.com or provide a link to the original article.

Manchester’s Matthew Hatton, the younger brother of Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton, is looking for a new trainer after splitting with Bob Shannon. Shannon guided Hatton to the EBU and IBF International welterweight titles and was in his corner for an unsuccessful vacant WBC light-middleweight title fight with Saul Alvarez in California as well as the recent domestic showdown with Sheffield’s Kell Brook.

Shannon hooked up with “Magic” prior to his non-title fight with Mikheil Khutsishvili in February 2010 – a fifth-round TKO victory. They followed this up with a decision win over Gianluca Branco for the EBU 147lb title, which Hatton successfully defended against Yuriy Nuzhnenko and Roberto Belge, a point’s win and third-round KO respectively, before dropping a wide decision to Alvarez in March 2011. The 31-year-old bounced back with a win over Andrei Abramenka last August before losing over 12-rounds to Brook at Sheffield’s Motorpoint Arena in March of this year.

Hatton suffered a broken nose early in the Brook fight, but his canny defensive ability plus fitness helped him negotiate the championship distance while frustrating “Special K”, who had hoped to register a KO win over his rival.

The fighter, who holds a 42-6-2 (16) record, contacted Shannon to thank him for his efforts, but admitted that he is looking for a new training team as he bids to have a final push at title glory. Shannon phoned through to *********** to wish his former charge well and reflect on their time together.

“I am feeling a mixture of pride and disappointment,” said Shannon. “I feel proud of what I did with Matthew, but I am disappointed that he’s moved on as I wanted to take the next step with him and get back to the European title or even help him win his first British title belt.

“Matthew did me the courtesy of contacting me to break the news. I am sad to see him leave my Fighting Fit gym, but I wish him nothing but the best because he’s a great, lovely lad who is a real warrior. People have given Matt a bit of stick over the years, but when he was with me he picked up a major title and the only reason he lost to Alvarez and Brook is because they had a bit of an edge in natural talent.

“Matt was fit for those fights, he had a plan and it was just unfortunate that those lads were so good, but it is a testament to his desire and pride that he took on two boys who look like they’re future superstars on the international scene. I think that the fitness work we did held in him in good stead in those fights during tough moments.

He added: “I feel I went that extra yard at all times with Matt, he thanked me publicly for working with him on certain things such as his balance and timing and I feel he is a better fighter for his time in my gym. It was a real pleasure to work with him – I enjoy him as a person and as a fighter because you don’t get many better than Matthew Hatton.

“Of course, I am devastated by the news, but what can you do? I will concentrate on working hard to make sure that my other lads Denton Vassell and Matty Askin have a great year. You know how boxing works, hopefully a few lads will walk into my gym in coming months looking to start a journey with me or find new inspiration in a career that has stalled.

“I’m always happy to take on a lad on as long as he has sat down with his current trainer to thrash things out and both parties have decided to make the difficult decision to split. It is a tough business, so us trainers all have to make sure we do right by each other. I’ve advised Matt to now speak to other trainers with my support and blessings if his heart is set on a change of scene.”
CamR21 is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
wallworkjake123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - My prediction on which UK trainer Hatton will pair-up with.
wallworkjake123 is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
anklespanker75
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Wouldn't be surprised if Ricky trained him
anklespanker75 is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
duagre
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

that's disappointing. I thought they were a good pairing. It looked as though Shannon was getting the best out of Hatton.
duagre is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Mike Hunt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Shannons not delivering the victorys Matt deserves so goodbye Bob.
Mike Hunt is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Strange one that. Shannon had Matt boxing very well especially compared to what he was like before. Be interesting to see who he gets in because Bob was a very good match for him.

Speaking of Matt's ex trainers what Lee Beard up to not seen him since Guzman dropped him.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klitman View Post
Strange one, considering the quality of his last 2 opponents (canello and brook).

He could have had roach in his corner for both fighs and still lost.
I think Matt is looking for the easiest route to a world title, at this stage in his career I dont think moving away from Shannon will help, he's just short of World level!
rampant is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3166

he could go to the ingles
ashishwarrior is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Wasn't really expecting that, good luck to both.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Is he really blaming Shannon for those losses?

It had nothing to do with the trainer, he just happened to come up against guys that are a lot better than him.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
bratwurzt
Whore
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamR21 View Post
Matthew Hatton has split from Bob Shannon after loosing two of his last three fights. A shame because I thought they made a good pairing and seemed to have a good relationship
Shame...I thought they were tighter.
bratwurzt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum