Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #31
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Yes, he could have been a top 5 p4per if he had remained unbeaten while continuing to fight elite fighters all the way thru his 1st retirement from 1982-87 (Howard bout in 84 aside)... imagine wins in a Hearns rematch & Duran rubber match at 154 lbs in 1982-83 followed by a Hagler win at MW no later than 84 ?

I`m not saying he`d win all or even one of those fights but if he did then who could grudge him all the accolades ?... red rooster perhaps ?
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #32
Mr Valleyboy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1 View Post
Marvin, for all his toughness, seemed to have a bit of a weak psyche.
Im not so sure He went through so many wars and came out on top. I think that for one he had a dislike of Ray and even some envy which no doubt put him off his standard game plan and Ray def got into his head (prob the only opponent who did)
Mr Valleyboy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Posts: 2,325
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

First of all... he is an all-time great.

No doubt he could have doen even more. He retired in '82. Came back for one fight in '84. Came back in '87. I know he had a detached retina but he could have came back sooner and stuck around after the '84 comeback. From '84 (Kevin Howard fight) - '87 (Marvin Hagler fight) he could have done a lot at WW, JMW, and even MW.

Had he stayed longer at 154 and done a little more at 160 it would have definately helped.

He beat Benitez KO15 in '79 for the WBC WW belt

He lost a close decision to Duran in '80 but regained the title with an 8th round KO just 5 months later

He won the JMW belt by stopping Ayube Kalule in 9 rounds in '81

He won the WBA WW belt by stopping Thomas Hearns in 14 rounds in '81

He retired in '82. In '84 he stopped Kevin Howard in 9 rounds but was knocked down in the fight.

In 1987 he beat Marvin Hagler by SD to win the WBC and Lineal MW title

Let's imagine what he could have done between the Howard and Hagler fights-

He may have faced the likes of:

Marlon Starling, Donald Curry, Lloyd Honeyghan, and Mike McCallum (JMW) before taking on Hagler. After Hagler, fights with Barkley and Nunn would have been exciting. Eventually a rematch with Hearns would have to happen....

Their fight in '89 ended in a draw (for the WBC/WBO SMW belts) but most felt Hearns won. Had Leonard had these fights prior to Hearns... would he have done better vs. Hearns (late '89 or early '90)?
Hookie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #34
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bournemouth, England
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

NO chance! Leonard could have fought anytime from 83 onwards but opted to stay safe & wait! Kalule pounded on him enough for Ray to know his Sugar $$$ brand would be extinguished if he'd dared too risk his neck against any of the prime bigger boys & hand picked journeyman Kevin Howard removed all doubt in Leonards mind that he could cut the mustard at the higher weights.hence Leonard could'nt quit the sport quick enough straight after the Howard debacle & said he did'nt want to embarrass himself!

He was crafty enough just too haunt ringside at all the major fights giving winks & hints about a comeback but he never had ant intention of doing so & especially not against an opponant who was still dangerous & uncomplient by way of the demands that Leonard became infamous for when he did decide the time was right to challange an older & slower Hagle! Shot Hearns! 37yr old Fatboy Duran! Weighed crippled titleist in lalonde for 2 joke title's.

What a load of crap that Leonard could have been greater than he was! The one time Leonard went in with a live opponant he got thrashed & decked twice for good measure by Norris! No way Leonard wins anytitle from 83 onwards & no one knew that more than Leonard or he would have come back as he craved the attention & limelight that was now being reflected onto others but he was'nt going to risk his $$$ brand & Howard put the fear up him big time & he could'nt flee the scene fast enough & that tells you everything about his chances of future glory & leonard should know!.
duranimal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #35
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,681
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
NO chance! Leonard could have fought anytime from 83 onwards but opted to stay safe & wait! Kalule pounded on him enough for Ray to know his Sugar $$$ brand would be extinguished if he'd dared too risk his neck against any of the prime bigger boys & hand picked journeyman Kevin Howard removed all doubt in Leonards mind that he could cut the mustard at the higher weights.hence Leonard could'nt quit the sport quick enough straight after the Howard debacle & said he did'nt want to embarrass himself!

He was crafty enough just too haunt ringside at all the major fights giving winks & hints about a comeback but he never had ant intention of doing so & especially not against an opponant who was still dangerous & uncomplient by way of the demands that Leonard became infamous for when he did decide the time was right to challange an older & slower Hagle! Shot Hearns! 37yr old Fatboy Duran! Weighed crippled titleist in lalonde for 2 joke title's.

What a load of crap that Leonard could have been greater than he was! The one time Leonard went in with a live opponant he got thrashed & decked twice for good measure by Norris! No way Leonard wins anytitle from 83 onwards & no one knew that more than Leonard or he would have come back as he craved the attention & limelight that was now being reflected onto others but he was'nt going to risk his $$$ brand & Howard put the fear up him big time & he could'nt flee the scene fast enough & that tells you everything about his chances of future glory & leonard should know!.
Nice.

I like the way you think.
ETM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #36
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
First of all... he is an all-time great.

No doubt he could have doen even more. He retired in '82. Came back for one fight in '84. Came back in '87. I know he had a detached retina but he could have came back sooner and stuck around after the '84 comeback. From '84 (Kevin Howard fight) - '87 (Marvin Hagler fight) he could have done a lot at WW, JMW, and even MW.

Had he stayed longer at 154 and done a little more at 160 it would have definately helped.

He beat Benitez KO15 in '79 for the WBC WW belt

He lost a close decision to Duran in '80 but regained the title with an 8th round KO just 5 months later

He won the JMW belt by stopping Ayube Kalule in 9 rounds in '81

He won the WBA WW belt by stopping Thomas Hearns in 14 rounds in '81

He retired in '82. In '84 he stopped Kevin Howard in 9 rounds but was knocked down in the fight.

In 1987 he beat Marvin Hagler by SD to win the WBC and Lineal MW title

Let's imagine what he could have done between the Howard and Hagler fights-

He may have faced the likes of:

Marlon Starling, Donald Curry, Lloyd Honeyghan, and Mike McCallum (JMW) before taking on Hagler. After Hagler, fights with Barkley and Nunn would have been exciting. Eventually a rematch with Hearns would have to happen....

Their fight in '89 ended in a draw (for the WBC/WBO SMW belts) but most felt Hearns won. Had Leonard had these fights prior to Hearns... would he have done better vs. Hearns (late '89 or early '90)?
same can be said had he fought Hearns in 1987 when Tommy was fighting better. He tried to get a win over Hearns when Tommy was looking washed up in that Barkley,Kinchen era, but Tommy adjusted well and had heart to change his style a little and persevere. Ray fought Hearns when Hearns was transitioning into a better defensive and slower paced fighter, when Tommy was going more rounds in his fights. Regardless, the fight does not really hurt or help him as much as helps Tommy. Ray showed a lot of heart in that fight taking a lot of punishement.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #37
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,095
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

he would have success in the early 80s with easy wins over Stafford N McCrory but when presented with higher order competiton, namely a vastly improved hitman, hits the wall, gets ko'd

tries his luck against Hagler, gets ko'd again. end of career
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #38
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Nice.

I like the way you think.
Duranimal is very colorful with his commentaries. Whether he's ranting or raving, he has a passion for the sport that bleeds out of written text, and that's rare.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #39
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: March for Revenge
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 1887
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Duranimal is very colorful with his commentaries. Whether he's ranting or raving, he has a passion for the sport that bleeds out of written text, and that's rare.
Colourful guy.

Does anyone give Leonard credit for taking on Norris? Just curious.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #40
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,095
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
Colourful guy.

Does anyone give Leonard credit for taking on Norris? Just curious.
I give Terry credit for signing to face leonard, a prohibitive favorite!

Sugar lacked the right stuff to get in there with the slicker, quicker guys like Nunn. He was a little more confident about his chances going in with Norris but it was of no matter that Norris was not an established commodity like Sir Micheal for it was Terry's SPEED that carried the day en route to an effortless win.

Terry reminded me of a young Ali as his fists frequently stung Leonard and then floated away from harm in the manner of a butterfly.

No doubt a win over Norris sounds a lot more impressive than a one sided loss
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #41
Jacquot
Cruiserweight Paper Champ
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Anyone who thinks a twenty something to early thirtysomething Leonard "gets knocked out a couple of times" is kidding themselves.

It all turned out for the best for Leonard anyway. He had so few miles put on him during that time that he gets to live his 50's and 60's not punch drunk.
Jacquot is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #42
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,039
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Leonard wouldn't have lost the first Duran fight had he used the same tactics he used in No Mas. Hell yeah, he could have been greater.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #43
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

on the fence with this one...don't like leonard but respect him. respect oscar more, who took on the most dangerous fighters possible, win or lose. leonard fell short of that. i think duranimal takes it a bit too far but leonard did manipulate events to his advantage and avoid certain dangers
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #44
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Leonard wouldn't have lost the first Duran fight had he used the same tactics he used in No Mas. Hell yeah, he could have been greater.
I'm no expect. But i'll never understand this.

In the second fight, two of the judges had Leonard up by 2, and one had him up by 1, and his fans make it seem like he pitched a shutout.

Ray wanted to fight Duran's fight the first time around. But I also believe it was Duran's night, and he wasn't gonna let Ray fight any other way than the way he wanted him to in Montreal.
afterglow is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #45
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,681
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Sugar Ray Leonard have been even greater than he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglow View Post
I'm no expect. But i'll never understand this.

In the second fight, two of the judges had Leonard up by 2, and one had him up by 1, and his fans make it seem like he pitched a shutout.

Ray wanted to fight Duran's fight the first time around. But I also believe it was Duran's night, and he wasn't gonna let Ray fight any other way than the way he wanted him to in Montreal.
Good points.

The fight in New Orleans was hardly a whitewash.
ETM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013