boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default What would a clean, well-managed Tony Tubbs acheived?

How would he have faired against the late-stage champion Holmes? Would he have had a chance against Tyson? Could he have made some bigger dents in the 1990's heavy scene? Thanks.

Last edited by China_hand_Joe; 12-22-2006 at 03:24 AM.
Seamus is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: What would a clean, well-managed Tony Tubbs acheived?

I don't think that even the best version of Tubbs could have done much against an 88' Tyson, but he certainly could have had a much better career despite himself.

Tubbs was a naturally gifted boxer, who during the 80's was probably 2nd only to Larry Holmes. His physical conditioning and lifestyle habits prevented him from reaching greater heigths, but the potential was certainly there. Tubbs could stick and move fairly well for a heavy man, and knew how to put combos together. In 1991 against Rid**** Bowe, Tubbs showed up in the best condition that he had been in years. He was a reasonable weight and was fighting fairly actively leading up to that point. Some felt that Tony had bested the younger less experienced Bowe, but fell short of getting the decision.

In my mind Tony Tubbs had the makings of one of the best fighters of the 80's, and had he stayed in ideal condition could have surpassed the accomplishments of men like Tim Witherspoon and Mike Weaver. He also could have posed as a potential threat for an aging Holmes anywhere around 1984-1985. As it stands however, Tony ended up like so many of his peers in the ill faded 80's class who lacked the discipline to put asside their private life for the better of their profession.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Great post, mr. magoo.

Tubbs was to titlists as Bert Cooper was to contenders.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Skill-wise, especially defensively, Tubbs was tremendous.
The old man is still out there outboxing young guys up and down the country.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Sonny's jab

vCash:

The fat man had good handspeed, but I thought he lacked power.

I dont know how much cocaine use effected his career.
Do these guys give up training because they like to do drugs ?
Or do they use drugs because they already gave up training ?

Drugs seems to be a convenient excuse. Cocaine doesn't make a man 30 pounds overweight.

Let's imagine Tubbs had the neccessary discipline and desire, like a Marciano.
Let's also imagine Greg Page and Tim Witherspoon with Marciano-esque discipline and desire.
I'm not sure Tubbs would be better than 1-1 against them in that scenario, and would probably drop to 0-2, but those fights would be more watchable.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Tubb's had the potential and talent to have had a career quite a bit better than what he had. I reckon he was at a similar level to Page, Witherspoon, Weaver and Thomas in terms of ability, but from those three only Page achieved less.

Tubb's weight and drug ravaged lifestyle was always a big problem although regarding his assets: he did posess lightening handspeed, was a skilled boxer, could punch and also moved pretty well also: in tip top shape (a rare commodity he'd maybe have given Tyson a tougher fight, at least he'd have had a good go).

He would always lose to a peak Tyson and Holmes, Thomas and 'Spoon a slight edge as well: that's no shame as they were fine fighters. In shape Tubb's hold his own in any era (except against the ATG's) and would be a potentially very good contender.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
Tubb's had the potential and talent to have had a career quite a bit better than what he had. I reckon he was at a similar level to Page, Witherspoon, Weaver and Thomas in terms of ability, but from those three only Page achieved less.

Tubb's weight and drug ravaged lifestyle was always a big problem although regarding his assets: he did posess lightening handspeed, was a skilled boxer, could punch and also moved pretty well also: in tip top shape (a rare commodity he'd maybe have given Tyson a tougher fight, at least he'd have had a good go).

He would always lose to a peak Tyson and Holmes, Thomas and 'Spoon a slight edge as well: that's no shame as they were fine fighters. In shape Tubb's hold his own in any era (except against the ATG's) and would be a potentially very good contender.
This is how I see it.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Not a whole hell of lot more than he actually did.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Probably could have achieved a great deal more.Only Page probably had more natural ability, and he reported gave Larry Holmes fits in sparring. I could definitely see him giving Tyson hell, but probably coming up a tad bit short.
Titan1 is online now  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
How would he have faired against the late-stage champion Holmes? Would he have had a chance against Tyson? Could he have made some bigger dents in the 1990's heavy scene? Thanks.
Possibly, could have upset Holmes, and even Tyson, if he managed to avoid the bombs.Probably would get kayoed late, but it would be a heck of a fight.I could see him edging Lewis, Holyfield, and Bowe, though Foreman would be a problem possibly.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

About as much as he did if his contemporaries also have the benefit of clean living and dedication.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He had top flight talent... Here he schools a resurgent Page.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1TERW-jxg&feature=relmfu[/ame]
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He's overrated by some because he had that relaxed style, a fancy dan poser with fast hands and little power.
They call it "top flight talent".

Tubbs was pretty good. He achieved what he achieved. Yeah, he probably would have beat Witherspoon if he was in shape. But on the other hand, maybe he would have been beaten by Bruno in London.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #14
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Tubbs beat Greg page but so did joe bugner.

Tubbs got a crack at a belt holder for outpointing just one rated fighter who was coming off a loss. He had talent but no more than say Quick tillis. I think Tubbs was the weakest of all the belt holders who did the least of any of them to be afforded some of the kudos he gets for extending a youthfull Bowe in his step up fight.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Tubbs was a skilled fighter. I think his lack of conditioning is somewhat overstated, I mean look at Buster Mathis Jr, he was just fat and rolly, but he could box and fight a bit. Tubbs was always pretty quick, but Im sure he could have prepared himself better for some fights because of his mobile style, but overall I think he did pretty well.

I think he probably could have extended his career a bit more after the Bowe fight if he was not using drugs so much but it seems the entire 80's heavies were somewhat similar. Skilled but inconsistent for a variety of reasons, ie drugs lack of conditioning and also Don King, he played a major role in manipulating fighters mentally. He did a number on guys who really didnt even want to fight by fight time because of a bad deal or lack of preparation caused by King.
salty trunks is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum