Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
drunkenspaniard
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Hagler's Greatest Trait

just read a post about wasted talent and it made me think about boxers who were actually very dedicated. In thinking about that, I began thinking about Marvin Hagler. What do you think Hagler's greatest trait as a boxer was? His ring IQ, ability to box and brawl, commitment to training, being a "switch-hitter", his jaw, etc.

For me I would have to say that it was his determination. The man seemed to have an iron will that would not bend despite everything that got tossed his way, and I think that it was this that helped shape many of his other traits. What do you think was Hagler's greatest trait?

[Moved over here upon suggestion of a different user]
drunkenspaniard is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Hagler's Greatest Trait

His shiny bald head.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

The Petronellis knew he was something special when he came back to their gym after an initial lesson showing unusually marked improvement, and he told them, "I've been practicing!" (Maybe, "in front of a mirror.," although I don't recall off-hand whether or not the precise quote included that.)

Antuofermo had better conditioning (Vito ran at least five miles a day even when not in training), and guys like Antuofermo, Hamsho and Minter didn't take a back seat to anybody with respect to conditioning, chin and physical strength. Marv had superior cut resistance to all three though, and stopped all of them on cuts.

What I really think set Marv apart from them was not just cut resistance, but his right jab, possibly the consistently hardest P4P jab in history, clearly the hardest southpaw jab that's ever been seen. He could deploy it on the move, as he did with Bennie Briscoe (and "Flash" Gordon always defined 'class' as "the ability to move and deploy the jab"), or use it as an offensive weapon which could hurt opponents and knock them out at any time.

It can certainly be argued that he did indeed have the greatest chin in boxing history. Straight punching trumps punching that's not straight (a key reason why he was beating up Vito in their rematch even before the butt), and the only criticism I read about him during his prime in one publication was "average foot speed." But I think that powerful right jab of his was in reality what Liston's left jab was supposed to be, something which actually was responsible for knocking world class opponents out.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

his thorough understanding of the Italian language, there's just something about Italian fighters!!!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I liked his "rhythm Boxing" as exampled in the early rounds against dangerous puncher Tony Sibson - by throwing softer but quicker punches off the back foot Marvin Overlayed his "rhythm" on Sibson, which bred in Sibson a defensive hesitancy which then enabled Marvin to Plant himself and put more power into his accurate shots, Marvin employed this "Rhythm Boxing" a number of times when up against a supposedly dangerous puncher, he bought it out extremely late against Duran to seal the decision, When i think of Marvin i remember him on the way to the Ring...hooded Cowling cutting its way to the ring like a sharks fin....The Beat of Destruction already running through his mind.....
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Not letting McCallum put food on the table for his sprogs. Evil bald bastard.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The way he pronounced Vito's last name as "Antuoferm-i-o"
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

He was great guy and solid person, a black Italian and I love the way he speaks in broken English these days
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
The Petronellis knew he was something special when he came back to their gym after an initial lesson showing unusually marked improvement, and he told them, "I've been practicing!" (Maybe, "in front of a mirror.," although I don't recall off-hand whether or not the precise quote included that.)

Antuofermo had better conditioning (Vito ran at least five miles a day even when not in training), and guys like Antuofermo, Hamsho and Minter didn't take a back seat to anybody with respect to conditioning, chin and physical strength. Marv had superior cut resistance to all three though, and stopped all of them on cuts.

What I really think set Marv apart from them was not just cut resistance, but his right jab, possibly the consistently hardest P4P jab in history, clearly the hardest southpaw jab that's ever been seen. He could deploy it on the move, as he did with Bennie Briscoe (and "Flash" Gordon always defined 'class' as "the ability to move and deploy the jab"), or use it as an offensive weapon which could hurt opponents and knock them out at any time.

It can certainly be argued that he did indeed have the greatest chin in boxing history. Straight punching trumps punching that's not straight (a key reason why he was beating up Vito in their rematch even before the butt), and the only criticism I read about him during his prime in one publication was "average foot speed." But I think that powerful right jab of his was in reality what Liston's left jab was supposed to be, something which actually was responsible for knocking world class opponents out.
Good post...and all true.
But whenever I think of Marvelous, it's how determined he was...
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Now that he speaks Italian, we MUST ask him how he pronounces Vito's last name today! (Or at least get a youtube clip showing him saying it then and now.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Determination or mental toughness.

He had an ability to take a setback and get stronger from it.

He also like Joe Louis was a master of adjustments and was much more effective in rematches.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #12
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Integrity,,,,,,

A man of integrity is respected.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #13
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

His chin.
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post

Or Tony Sibson's as SIMPSON !
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #15
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Determination or mental toughness.

He had an ability to take a setback and get stronger from it.

He also like Joe Louis was a master of adjustments and was much more effective in rematches.

Exactly
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum