Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Frank Mir was granted exemption for testosterone into Junior dos Santos bout

Quote:
Frank Mir was granted exemption for testosterone into Junior dos Santos bout
Quote:

The acceptance of testosterone replacement therapy in mixed martial arts continues to be a growing issue, and yet another very high profile UFC fighter has been approved for the treatment.

According to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer, Mir applied, and received a therapeutic use exemption for, the treatment for his fight with Junior dos Santos at UFC 146.

Kizer told MMATorch that Mir applied for a therapeutic use exemption in March, citing an abnormally low testosterone level, and has complied with the tests required by the NSAC to date. That includes passing the post fight drug test from the event as was reported earlier this afternoon.

Mir ultimately lost to dos Santos in their Heavyweight Championship bout on the card last weekend, with the Champion stopping him in the second round by TKO.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

LOL Wut?
afterglow is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Frank Mir was granted exemption for testosterone into Junior dos Santos bout

and yea... The quotes got screwed up, but I cannot get them to work right in that post for whatever reason.

The guys are using this ****in loophole.

Kizer should be ****in canned for this shit.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: Frank Mir was granted exemption for testosterone into Junior dos Santos bout

Makes you question his supplement use, but TRT won't win you fights.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He should've gottin a chin implant instead.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Flexb
GQ Smooth
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglow View Post
and yea... The quotes got screwed up, but I cannot get them to work right in that post for whatever reason.

The guys are using this ****in loophole.

Kizer should be ****in canned for this shit.

Loophole for what? There is no advantage because a fighter or anyone needs testosterone to treat low levels. It's only a disadvantage if a fighter has low levels and doesn't get treated while facing a man with healthy levels.

People just don't get it. And previous poster is right, TRT doesn't win you fights.

Also, more and more men on all facets of life are using TRT, not just fighters lol it's becoming a very popular and successful therapy.
Flexb is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexb View Post
Loophole for what? There is no advantage because a fighter or anyone needs testosterone to treat low levels. It's only a disadvantage if a fighter has low levels and doesn't get treated while facing a man with healthy levels.

People just don't get it. And previous poster is right, TRT doesn't win you fights.

Also, more and more men on all facets of life are using TRT, not just fighters lol it's becoming a very popular and successful therapy.
I guess loopholes isn't the proper wordage, but it seem highly suspicious with more and more doing it.

Why are they all using it?

I can see someone like Hendo using it because he has been having to cut weight since he was a kid, which apparently has been linked to low T levels, but have all these guys been doing that?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Flexb
GQ Smooth
ESB Addict

Quote:
I guess loopholes isn't the proper wordage, but it seem highly suspicious with more and more doing it.

Why are they all using it?

I can see someone like Hendo using it because he has been having to cut weight since he was a kid, which apparently has been linked to low T levels, but have all these guys been doing that?

I'm sure some are abusing it but it's not true TRT if someone is abusing it, I would call that juicing straight up.
TRT is something a doctor monitors very closely and won't allow patients to abuse it seeing as they're tested every 3-6 months. You're only prescribed enough to get you through till your next doc appointment. Ya, a patient could get some more off the street in order to jack his test levels through the roof but again that's straight up juicing and not TRT, plus once he gets tested in the UFC, his levels are gonna show he's cheating.
I guess some idiot are claiming they're on TRT when they're just juicing but your blood tests will show what's goin on in the end.
Flexb is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
He should've gottin a chin implant instead.
His chin held up fine. He took a lot of heavy bombs from the best puncher in the UFC. It was the 20 or so pounds of needless muscle that slowed him down and made him a stationary target that were the problem.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
His chin held up fine. He took a lot of heavy bombs from the best puncher in the UFC. It was the 20 or so pounds of needless muscle that slowed him down and made him a stationary target that were the problem.

When exactly hasnt he been a stationary target?
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
When exactly hasnt he been a stationary target?
He's never been mistaken for Clay Guida, but Mir is WAY bigger and slower than he should have been. He bulked up for Lesnar and never lost the mass. Against Junior he needed to be as mobile as possible. It was a terrible style matchup for him anyway, but he made it worse for himself by coming in bulky.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Mir is big and slow, full stop
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Mir is big and slow, full stop
Yes, but he is bigger and slower than he should be.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

1) When in his entire UFC tenure was Mir quick enough to deal with JDS?

2) How was he supposed to train to attain this speed at this stage of his career

3) How would being smaller and quicker, when he's normally between 250 - 260 have help him over come the striking disadvantage he faced in this fight?

Last edited by Stoo; 06-01-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #14
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Look man, I'm not even disagreeing with you here. I've already said that JDS is a terrible matchup for Mir regardless, and that Mir is always going to be big and slow.

But I'll answer your questions anyway.

Quote:
1) When in his entire UFC tenure was Mir quick enough to deal with JDS?
Probably never.

Quote:
2) How was he supposed to train to attain this speed at this stage of his career
Well, I'm not an expert on the subject. All I know is what I saw in the cage. And Mir looked very bulky. He's always going to be a big guy, but the bigger he is, the slower he is going to move. His game is based on technique, so it's not like he desperately needs the little boost of physical strength the extra mass might give him.

But this isn't just for this fight. I get the sense that Mir made a conscious decision in his career to bulk up a few fights ago, after being overpowered by Lesnar. Mir is a smart guy and he certainly knows a hell of a lot more about the subject than I do, so I don't claim that my opinion is the be all and end all. But I wonder what a 10-15 pounds lighter Mir would move like.

Quote:
3) How would being smaller and quicker, when he's normally between 250 - 260 have help him over come the striking disadvantage he faced in this fight?
It seems to me that his problems against JDS were always going to be a) taking Junior to the ground, b) his gas tank, and c) his chin. When it comes to successful takedowns, every little bit of speed and explosiveness helps. When it comes to keeping someone like Cigano on the ground and working for submissions, cardio is very important. Extra bulk won't help Mir's chin, and will in fact worsen it by slowing him down and making it easier to find.

And just in case you jump at me again, I still think JDS wins 8 fights out of 10 against any version of Mir. He's basically the worst possible style matchup for Mir. A heavyhanded, accurate puncher who only wants to stand and trade and who nobody can put on the ground.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I really dont understand this logic. It's like say that Rashad Evans should have come in with longer arms against Jones.

Mir has never had much speed, I dont get how you can drop 15-20 lbs on muscle when you have regularly been topping 255 on the scale for the past 3 years or so
When in his entire UFC tenure was Mir quick enough to deal with JDS?

How was he supposed to train to attain this speed at this stage of his career

How would being smaller and quicker, when he's normally between 250 - 260 have help him over come the striking disadvantage he faced in this fight?

I really dont understand this Haggis, it sounds like an excuse or something.
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum