Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic fights you saw differently than most people

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Duran/Leonard I can understand but Arguello/Pryor?
It was a good fight, sure (as was Duran-Leonard) but Pryor-Arguello was too one-sided to be great. It boggles my mind to see that some have Arguello pulling even after 13. He was way behind. For every shot he landed, Pryor landed four or five.

Good action though, don't get me wrong there.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
1_man_army
The Knockout King
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1883

I percieve Chavez Taylor 1 differently to most people. I think Chavez was looking to work him to the body and get Taylor out of there in the championship rounds. Whitaker put on a great performance early on, built up a lead but Chavez kept playing the long game and stuck to the plan even when it looked as if it might not work, it's a complete testament to Chavez's self-belief that he was still following the plan until the very end. Chavez never gets the credit he deserves for his own performance that night, a masterclass in determination if nothing else, he just kept going no matter what.

I have no issues with the ending either but that is another topic entirely.
1_man_army is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I few I think.

I thought leonard deserved to beat hagler.

I thought holmes deserved to beat spoon.

I think the final 11 rounds of pac-jmm 1 are one of the finest display's of boxing in the fw division.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I score it 7 - 5 Ali. A lot of people mention the clinching,but it was hardly illegal,was it ? Ali still did enough to earn the victory. And of course,Tony Perez's flash bout of Tinnitus in the second round tends to get forgotten.

This fight does tend to get an undeserved bad press in my opinion. Okay,it may not have had the signifigance and drama of their first bout or the sheer savagery of the third,but it was still a pretty good bout on it's own merits.
I had it 6-6.

It was a different era. Clinching was usually held against a guy on the scoring. Aggressivness was rewarded. Ali changed that. By mid fight most of Ali`s flurries were fluff.

Clinching when your hurt is smart. Clinching after almost every exchancge ruins a fight.

The sport needed Ali to win that night. The economy of boxing needed him to win.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Against Frazier it did have a big effect on the fight. It wasnt just standard clinching. It was Ali pulling the back of Frazier`s head down and in so Joe couldnt work inside.

Ali did that 112 times in 12 rounds. Eddie Futch complained to Tony Perez during the fight about it and Perez promised that he would penalize Ali but he never did.
I saw the fight on closed circuit TV with poor sound.

Frazier could have been given a draw.

Frazier should have just started hitting Ali in the cojones ever time Ali tried that sh!t......after about 50 times Ali would have probably stopped.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Well, a lot of people think that-

Barrera beat morales in their first fight, not me

Marquez beat Pacquiao in their first fight, not me

Quartey beat DeLaHoya, not me

Hagler beat Leonard, not me
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_man_army View Post
I percieve Chavez Taylor 1 differently to most people. I think Chavez was looking to work him to the body and get Taylor out of there in the championship rounds. Whitaker put on a great performance early on, built up a lead but Chavez kept playing the long game and stuck to the plan even when it looked as if it might not work, it's a complete testament to Chavez's self-belief that he was still following the plan until the very end. Chavez never gets the credit he deserves for his own performance that night, a masterclass in determination if nothing else, he just kept going no matter what.

I've always thought that Chavez deserved more credit for the Taylor fight. It's boxing's misfortune that the 15 round limit was abolish, for there would have been no doubt at all as to who would have won...if...referee Green hadn't made his monumental error in judgement in that premature stoppage. If he hadn't stopped it, Chavez would have clobbered Taylor within the next round..the 13th. Once again, this fight is a glaring example of the stupidity of the 12 round limit.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #23
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I thought Foreman ruined Kenny Norton. Ruined him and we wouldn't be hearing much from that guy any more, aside from an opponent type or undercard or regional fighter type.

Perhaps things would have went that way if they would have stuck him in against the guys that were the big hitters, but his matchmaking did not do that. They did a masterful job rebuilding and prolonging his career. Then again, Norton got the title shot based on 2 Ali performances and was not a case of cleaning out the top 10 to get his shot in there.

I just thought the way he was overwhelmed in there against George would never ever see a rematch and I thought Ken was going to be in Joe Roman type company for the rest of his career.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #24
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I few I think.

I thought leonard deserved to beat hagler.

I thought holmes deserved to beat spoon.

I think the final 11 rounds of pac-jmm 1 are one of the finest display's of boxing in the fw division.
Just the last one is really unique luf.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I admit the fist time I saw Chavez/Taylor I though Meldrick got a raw deal. Then I watched it again and I could see that he really took a brutal beating.

It wasnt like Chavez landed one lucky punch and scored a flash knockdown. He put it on Taylor. His entire face was a mask of pain.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #26
1_man_army
The Knockout King
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1883

Quote:
I admit the fist time I saw Chavez/Taylor I though Meldrick got a raw deal. Then I watched it again and I could see that he really took a brutal beating.

It wasnt like Chavez landed one lucky punch and scored a flash knockdown. He put it on Taylor. His entire face was a mask of pain.
The first time I watched it, the biggest warning sign to me that Taylor was in serious trouble was when Meldrick threw that wild hook out of desperation, missed it completely and fell down from its momentum. It was such a glaring sign that he was done by that point in the fight.
1_man_army is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

i thought ali fought well against berbick....nobody else seems to think it though
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #28
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The first time I watched it, the biggest warning sign to me that Taylor was in serious trouble was when Meldrick threw that wild hook out of desperation, missed it completely and fell down from its momentum. It was such a glaring sign that he was done by that point in the fight.
True.

Taylor was landing those showy slappy types of flurries but at the same time Chavez was landing short, precise inside punches that just busted the kid up. Even in some of the rounds Taylor won he came out of it in worse shape.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
jont
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I thought that the Riddick Bowe-Holyfield rematch with Fan Man was going to end up in Bowe taking control of the last rounds...I felt that Bowe was coming on strong in the fight but most posters seem to think that Bowe was the one who benefitted the most from the extra time afforded the fighters from the interference, I think that Holy got a big break...I think that if Fan Man had not shown up that Bowe was going to be kicking some ass in the coming rounds
jont is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #30
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

I totally agree. I saw this fight years later and expected Chavez to fight way worse than that. There are some rounds in the middle of the fight where he cuts the ring perfectly to get to Whitaker. Sweet Pea should've won that night, but Chavez fought the mexican style perfectly and has nothing to be ashamed of. Bad style match up against an ATG.

Edit : sorry I misread the post and tought you talked about the robbery against Whitaker. I agree Pea was robbed but enjoyed Chavez work in some rounds.
Brownies is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum