Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
john doe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default glen johnson....take a look

we all know johnson waqs bute's sparring partner for a while, so he knew how bute fought and what to expect before their fight...

well i just rewatched the froch-johnson fight, and the bute-johnson fight....and must say that johnson fought completely different in the 2 fights...

in the froch fight he is very agressive, always trying tocorner froch, never giving him any space to move around, basicly he is on him like a fly on shit...he put alot of pressure on froch...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Gfjae8bWI&feature=BFa&list=PL49457802CFC5FDC1[/ame]

then i watched the bute-johnson fight...and in this fight johnson fights at a distance, not wanting to trade much with bute or get in close...he more less just sits on the outside and boxes....why does he do this? does he know something about bute that others dont? is there something he was afraid of against bute that he wasnt against froch?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAvH68a6pLQ[/ame]

basicly from what i can see between the 2 fights, is johnson respects bute and his power and does not want to get clipped too often, but in the froch fight its almost like johnson doesnt respect his power and just walks through the punches to get closer...
john doe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: glen johnson....take a look

Glencoffe probably could've trashed Bute, but didn't because Bute is one of his best friends.

How cute.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
bamboleo
Still Proud to be Butard
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
Glencoffe probably could've trashed Bute, but didn't because Bute is one of his best friends.

How cute.
Have any1 else told you, "you sir are an Idiot"?
bamboleo is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboleo View Post
Have any1 else told you, "you sir are an Idiot"?
Buttards, when I told them their hero was a hometown joke.

Turns out I was right.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Badbot
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
Buttards, when I told them their hero was a hometown joke.

Turns out I was right.
True dat !
Styles make fights and being good buddies Glen didn't want to go to war with Bute.
Itīs not like Bute went after Johnny boy.
Badbot is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
john doe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

well from the looks of him from the 2 fights, looks like he was either paid to take an easy night vs bute, or he felt something in sparring with him that he didnt want to get into
john doe is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

The different has to do mostly with styles. With the Froch fight, Johnson knew that he had to back Froch up, seeing as he's not nearly as effective going backwards, and didn't give him many clear openings up top as he advanced at his own pace timing overhand rights and combinations. Against Bute, however, Bute is the better defensive ring general, and was able to offset Johnson's high guard attack by circling and walking him into body shots (which Johnson's guard didn't readily let him see, especially from a southpaw angle), and pushing him back into the ropes with pressure followed by short hard shots on the inside; Johnson himself is not nearly as effective going backwards either.

The Johnson win is what got me sold on Bute being a solid fighter, regardless of their history as sparring partners, but of course, triangle logic doesn't work in boxing and Froch's approach perfectly exploited Lucian's weaknesses.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
john doe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
The different has to do mostly with styles. With the Froch fight, Johnson knew that he had to back Froch up, seeing as he's not nearly as effective going backwards, and didn't give him many clear openings up top as he advanced at his own pace timing overhand rights and combinations. Against Bute, however, Bute is the better defensive ring general, and was able to offset Johnson's high guard attack by circling and walking him into body shots (which Johnson's guard didn't readily let him see, especially from a southpaw angle), and pushing him back into the ropes with pressure followed by short hard shots on the inside; Johnson himself is not nearly as effective going backwards either.

The Johnson win is what got me sold on Bute being a solid fighter, regardless of their history as sparring partners, but of course, triangle logic doesn't work in boxing and Froch's approach perfectly exploited Lucian's weaknesses.

interesting post, i dont think i could disagree with anything you wrote...

i just found it interesting how johnson looked like he wasnt giving an effort, maybe just a bad night?

a solid fight from bute that tome shows his ability is the bika fight...he went to war

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VRDJA9pjvY[/ame]

and he handled him pretty well, even compared to ward...

i think when bute fought froch he was really expecting a gentlemans fight and not a hurricane of punches, he got cought early and pretty much paniced and stayed flat footed throughout the rest of fight
john doe is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum