Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
WildStyle
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Need some help selecting boxing gloves

It's been awhile since I've boxed recreationally, and since that time, I've had some hand problems, etc. Basically, I'm not the pillar of health anymore. I broke my right hand a few years back punching an inanimate object and I have cysts in the palm of my left hand. I never had any problems with hand injuries or whatever when I boxed in the past but now I'm almost 36, and my body just ain't the same, so I need some good protection. I'm looking for gloves that I don't have to lace up and offer good hand protection.

I would also like suggestions for wraps and any other protection (knuckle pads??) that I might be able to use to ensure that I don't break my hands when I start back up. I would also like some hand wrapping techniques that would help absorb any punishment, places online or retail shops where I might be able to find these things. Are there any videos online that show how to wrap fragile hands? I'm looking to buy 14-16 ounce gloves.

Thanks
WildStyle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Need some help selecting boxing gloves

Hi WS

How are you damaging your hands on the bag or in sparring?
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
WildStyle
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Hi WS

How are you damaging your hands on the bag or in sparring?
Neither. They are non-boxing related injuries. I just need to protect them. I know how to punch and all...that isn't the issue.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Any wraps should be fine as long as they are wrapped properly.

Also, tape up the wraps afterwards. I broke my right hand due to something falling on it and found alot of discomfort till I started taping my wraps. I found it offered alot more stability and support.

Thats my two cents, someone with more knowhow should advise you on gloves.
oibighead is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
Neither. They are non-boxing related injuries. I just need to protect them. I know how to punch and all...that isn't the issue.
I see. Well the first thing to do is to take some power off your punches whenever you hit something (mainly heavy bag) you'd be surprised at how many people I have seen with hand issues going 100% on a heavy bag.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ud54cZly8o&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/ame]

Here's a video for how to wrap.....go 4 x times round the knuckles to give yourself more protection.

For gloves which fasten with Velcro instead of lace, I use Everlast TA 14 google them they are quite nice offer very good padding and for knuckles and the wrist.

I got a nice black pair cost me about 40 last year.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Jordan_Davies
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 12201

Quote:
I see. Well the first thing to do is to take some power off your punches whenever you hit something (mainly heavy bag) you'd be surprised at how many people I have seen with hand issues going 100% on a heavy bag.

Here's a video for how to wrap.....go 4 x times round the knuckles to give yourself more protection.

For gloves which fasten with Velcro instead of lace, I use Everlast TA 14 google them they are quite nice offer very good padding and for knuckles and the wrist.

When I first started i used to do 6 times around the wrist and go mad on the nuckles always thought that if i went through the fingers that it would prevent me from making a fist and then the wrapping would fall of the knuckle inside the glove. just wished the trainer wasnt so busy and taught us how to do it

This method gives your fist a lot more stability and is surprisingly more comfortable. I really need to start back soon
Jordan_Davies is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
WildStyle
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Awesome. Have you ever worked with gloves that have that Gel technology? I know Everlast and some other companies make those...are they any better and more technologically advanced?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
Awesome. Have you ever worked with gloves that have that Gel technology? I know Everlast and some other companies make those...are they any better and more technologically advanced?
Sorry haven't tried those yet.....I'm buying a new set next week I may try them and let you know how they go. My buddy uses Grant gloves and he swears by them....

If you wrap and use a decent glove and MOST IMPORTANTLY keep your hand closed when you impact you should be OK....

Also you need to some exercises to give your hands more strength....try squeezing a tennis ball.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_Davies View Post
When I first started i used to do 6 times around the wrist and go mad on the nuckles always thought that if i went through the fingers that it would prevent me from making a fist and then the wrapping would fall of the knuckle inside the glove. just wished the trainer wasnt so busy and taught us how to do it

This method gives your fist a lot more stability and is surprisingly more comfortable. I really need to start back soon
LOL.....its easy to make a mistake when wrapping your hands.....I have tried ALOT of methods but I like this the best.

Also when you have a good wrap you'd be surprised how much more confidence you get in your punches.....a bad wrap can fug up your hands something rotten.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
WildStyle
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Sorry haven't tried those yet.....I'm buying a new set next week I may try them and let you know how they go. My buddy uses Grant gloves and he swears by them....

If you wrap and use a decent glove and MOST IMPORTANTLY keep your hand closed when you impact you should be OK....

Also you need to some exercises to give your hands more strength....try squeezing a tennis ball.
Yeah, I used to work out like a madman...but I have basically been out of the gym for about a decade, so, my body has kind of gone to shit health-wise. I'm not fat, and only weigh 10 lbs. over what I did when I was active, but I'm just older now. lol

After I broke my hand in '08, I didn't get surgery, and it didn't heal back 100%. Or, rather, it didn't heal back 'perfectly'. So, I'm just trying to do what I can to reduce the risk of injuring it again. And, yes, I don't plan on going all out on the heavy bag--even if I get nice gloves and wrap my hands and such. But, I just wanna be able to do it...because I love it and miss doing it.

Thanks mate
Old 06-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #11
Chairman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Blue ones are nice.
Chairman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing