Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #31
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Great\very good fighters with very unorthodox or sloppy punching method

Acelino Freitas as well.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #32
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Great\very good fighters with very unorthodox or sloppy punching method

Antonio Cervantes

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2tmaeXm1yY[/ame]

Truly awkward
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Cervantes is what kalule would have lookd like with the physical advantages and hardiness of Monzon, but no finesse.

He's one of those fighters who sort of veers between precision and unorthodox slop round by round.His speed varies as much fight by fight as anyone i've ever watched as well.
lora is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Cervantes is what kalule would have lookd like with the physical advantages and hardiness of Monzon, but no finesse.

He's one of those fighters who sort of veers between precision and unorthodox slop round by round.His speed varies as much fight by fight as anyone i've ever watched as well.
Imagine a fight between the cool, precision punching of the flat-footed Arguello against the unorthodox, all over the place, precision counters of Cervantes.

To top it off, both had stamina, KO power, and very sturdy chins.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #35
Philly-Tough
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Who are the most notable fighters in this respect...the fighters who were very effective outside of the textbook norm, or who often made unusual punchpicking choices

Joe Calzaghe is an obvious recent example.

Jones jr with his emphasis on left-hooking, often leaping in or thrown from odd angles.Largely dispensing with a jab.

Galindez and Azumah Nelson favouring of punching in bunches with very telegraphed wide powershots, when they were quite capable of throwing straighter and more precisely.

Marciano, Roldan, Mugabi, Moon....fighters who's offensive output mostly consisted of accurate clubbing bombs with all their bodyweight behind nearly every shot.

Jung-Koo Chang and Pryor for clubbing sloppy, odd angled volume punching.

Doug DeWitt and Marvin Johnson for really unusual combination punching choices.

Erik Morales and Chris Eubank for boxer-punchers that varied widely from fight to fight in terms of sharp textbook precision and pure slop.Or even from round to round.

Who else did you find to have unusual punching approaches?.
Can you give me any examples of Morales please? I've seen his whole career set and don't recall this offhand. I'm not the most observant of course
Philly-Tough is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #36
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

You'll see him pushing and looping his jab and right\falling in after them, overextending throwing off-balance odd angled rights etc in most of his fights Philly.Usually when he starts trading and going to war.cuffs and slaps with the hook as well.

Of course it's mixed in with a lot of properly delivered straight shots and clean uppercuts and isn't necessarily meant as a criticism of him as he was effective with it, but he's not a tidy fighter imo.More of a hybrid.
lora is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #37
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Tough View Post
Can you give me any examples of Morales please? I've seen his whole career set and don't recall this offhand. I'm not the most observant of course

For me Morales could qualify just because his balance could be bad as he over-reached with his shots at times.

Granted, he was young and relatively inexperienced then, but snippets of the Zaragoza fight show it, as do many instances throughout Barrera I.

Again, especially with the Barrera example, it's perhaps more appropriate to give credit to the guys making him lunge and go off-balance. Still, he took the bait.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #38
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You'll see him pushing and looping his jab and right\falling in after them, overextending throwing off-balance odd angled rights etc in most of his fights Philly.Usually when he starts trading and going to war.cuffs and slaps with the hook as well.

Of course it's mixed in with a lot of properly delivered straight shots and clean uppercuts and isn't necessarily meant as a criticism of him as he was effective with it, but he's not a tidy fighter imo.More of a hybrid.

Yeah, what he said.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #39
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Timothy Bradley is the first name that springs to mind that hasn't been mentioned yet. Maybe that's because he hasn't proven to be of the great/very good variety, but I'd still throw him in since his contemporaries Froch, Montiel and Darchinyan have been included. I think Bradley's technique is often very poor, just sloppy clubbing punching where proximity, volume, and bad intentions make up for a dire lack of precision, technique, and power. He is effective but technically bad, much like Joe Calzaghe.
The way I've been looking at them, I consider Bradley a very good fighter, with a shot at greatness soon. Unifying major titles twice, taking 0's three times in a row in two divisions and setting himself apart from a division full of "good" solid fighters. A division very deep in good fighters, Kotelnik, Peterson, Khan, Alexander, Holt, Judah, Maidana, I feel Bradley set himself apart from them, really. He can adjust, fight well at different ranges, has the mental and physical fortitude to go along with it. I've grown pretty fond of thinking of him as a notch above good. I'm very interested to see how he fares with Pac and deals with his biggest shot to date, but, more importantly, I am grossly offended and intensely disturbed by your current lack of an avatar.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #40
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The greatest unorthodox uncrowned champ...

HEROL GRAHAM

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1kUSBJAXg[/ame]

btw... this is a great fight!
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #41
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
Gene Fullmer - king of crude. He actually had no style. His jab was like a swipe, but if you got into a clinch with him you had better hold tight to both arms because if one was free he would be hitting you on the top of the head, the kidneys, etc. For all his faults though, what a fighter!

Scartissue
I think Fullmer was better than alot of people yesterday and today have given him credit for being.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #42
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:

This.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #43
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Cervantes against that japanese fighter (Kadota, not sure if I spelled it right) was incredibly sloppy !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #44
darling dame
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Thanks Lora your very insightful boxing Don!!!!
darling dame is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #45
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

carlos palomino threw every punch real well, except for his straight right. he waved that one, didn't fire it from the shoulder.
greynotsoold is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum