Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #46
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: punching with light weights anyone here do it? (Floyd Mayweather does it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donizhere View Post
I didnt need help, i was looking for experiences/thoughts with using light weights shadow boxing,
NOT warnings from people who cant be bothered to do something.
No. You wanted to be reassured that you were right about your thoughts on the subject. That didn't happen. Now you're upset.

Quote:
i just hate comments from ppl who dont do something and claim they know it all,
Like I said earlier, you don't need to jump off a bridge to discover it's a stupid thing to do, you should know from life experience and your own knowledge it's stupidity. It's not difficult to work out that throwing around weights that's pretty much attached to your arm is dumb.

You say it's for endurance, endurance in what? If it's endurance in holding your arms in a defensive position explain to me why you have to punch and not just hold your hand in this static position? If it's endurance in punching you need to throw more punches to build that endurance and for that you need the correct resistance i.e. bands. There's no good reason whatsoever to hold weights when you shadow box.

Quote:
to which my reply is Floyd Cotto Kostya tsyzu do it and have done it for years.

Which is more evidence than someone sitting on a computer talking bs. Anyone can talk.
I'll quote it one more time so maybe you'll understand -

Quote:
Is this seriously meant to prove your point, your repeated appeal to authority argument? You've been told multiple times it's just dumb. As you were told a page or two back, somebody can become good in spite of what they do not because of it.

Unless you're saying Mayweather is in the position he is in now purely because he holds weights when he throws punches your argument is null.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #47
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675
Default Re: punching with light weights anyone here do it? (Floyd Mayweather does it)

Personally, I've never met a boxer who doesn't use this type of drill. It's not a "Mayweather" or "pro" thing. It's just another drill. Simple as that.
3 rounds, mixing 8, 5 and 3 pound weights.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #48
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
It's not difficult to work out that throwing around weights that's pretty much attached to your arm is dumb.
There's no good reason whatsoever to hold weights when you shadow box.
That's a hell of a thing to say. Especially after your long winded post. Very hypocritical in the very same paragraph bro. "you should know from life experience and your own knowledge".
If your experience on hand weight drills as been negative, fine. We don't all respond well to every drill.
But for you to say in absolute that it is "stupidity" and "dumb", is just plain ignorant.
My personal experience has been extremely positive. I've been doing this specific drill for almost 3 years. I don't want to go into details on how throw them correctly because my method works for me. It works for those I can teach personally, but it might not work with those reading this on a forum.

Also, jumping off a bridge only seems stupid to the close minded. I've jumped off plenty of bridges in my younger, crazy days and they are all still great stories to tell (granted, the bridges go over the ocean)
JDK is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #49
donizhere
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post
That's a hell of a thing to say. Especially after your long winded post. Very hypocritical in the very same paragraph bro. "you should know from life experience and your own knowledge".
If your experience on hand weight drills as been negative, fine. We don't all respond well to every drill.
But for you to say in absolute that it is "stupidity" and "dumb", is just plain ignorant.
My personal experience has been extremely positive. I've been doing this specific drill for almost 3 years. I don't want to go into details on how throw them correctly because my method works for me. It works for those I can teach personally, but it might not work with those reading this on a forum.

Also, jumping off a bridge only seems stupid to the close minded. I've jumped off plenty of bridges in my younger, crazy days and they are all still great stories to tell (granted, the bridges go over the ocean)
Glad to hear your results have been positive JDK,

Did you notice improvements in speed/power, or is it a endurance thing for you??
donizhere is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #50
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

It's funny that the guy reckons people aren't going to do it because they're lazy lol.
It's an exercise that I think has some slight benefits in improving motor control, when you purposefully miss a shot in basketball to feel the difference it's the same thing. Changing the parameters to feel the contrast helps you learn more easily.
It's not going to help hand speed, endurance and definitely not power. Think about the direction of the force from the weight and the direction you want force when you punch. If you try to punch with any snap it's going to cause wear and tear on your wrist and elbow joints, that's just common sense. If you punch at a slower speed without fully extending and focus on how your body feels and the difference from a punch with proper mechanics it does help. You wouldn't want to do much of it though and as somebody else mentioned you'd be better off using rubber bands doing any sort of overspeed training because the resistance is in the right direction. Rubber is also very similar to muscles and tendons so there is very little trauma to joints and makes it a lot closer to an actual punch.
dealt_with is online now  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #51
donizhere
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
It's not going to help hand speed, endurance and definitely not power. Think about the direction of the force from the weight and the direction you want force when you punch.
If its not endurance, please pick up 2 x 5lbs dumbells and punch with them for 3 minutes, you will find it too difficult and wont be able to do it for 3 mins. You will be in PAIN and thats only 1 round.

IF THERES 1 THING IT DOES ITS ENDURANCE

Your perfect example of someone who sits there and talks without doing anything.
donizhere is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #52
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If its not endurance, please pick up 2 x 5lbs dumbells and punch with them for 3 minutes, you will find it too difficult and wont be able to do it for 3 mins. You will be in pain.

Your perfect example of someone who sits there and talks without doing anything.
Why the **** did you bother making this thread? It's clear nobody else's opinion matters to you unless they agree with what you're saying.

Also, what you said above doesn't really mean anything. Hold 2 10kg dumbbells straight out infront of you with your arms locked, you won't be able to do that for 3 minutes. Big deal...

Another thing; you said "pick up 2 x 5lbs dumbells and punch with them for 3 minutes" I thought you said you don't throw punches when holding weights?

Last edited by viru§™; 06-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #53
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Virus, do you argue with everybody?
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #54
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Virus, do you argue with everybody?
No. Just when somebody says something stupid, plain wrong or something I don't agree with. Obviously these things occur regularly on this forum.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #55
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
No. Just when somebody says something stupid, plain wrong or something I don't agree with. Obviously these things occur regularly on this forum.
Seems to me you'd feel less stressed somewhere else.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #56
Luckyboy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cLPpgmG_PE&feature=related[/ame]

manny used to do it aswell
Luckyboy is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #57
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If its not endurance, please pick up 2 x 5lbs dumbells and punch with them for 3 minutes, you will find it too difficult and wont be able to do it for 3 mins. You will be in PAIN and thats only 1 round.

Endurance where, for what? You're a dumb cunt, stop PM'ing me
Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #58
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Seems to me you'd feel less stressed somewhere else.
Stressed? Not in the slightest. I just find it funny watching clueless people trying to back up what they say with "but the pros do it!" over and over in a vain attempt to prove something.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #59
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post
Hypocritical? WTF? I know it's a stupid idea from knowing about human physiology, biomechanics and physics, hence the knowledge part of my statement.

Quote:
Read above.

Quote:
Not at all. I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Joe Defranco -

Quote:
DON’T perform any strength exercises that mimic punching when you’re in the weightroom! (More specifically, don’t throw punches while holding dumbbells and don’t grab the cable crossover pulley and throw punches, either! Doing these dumb activities screws up the mechanics of your punch! Get strong in the weightroom and work on your punching technique in the ring. Period.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #60
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Punching endurance, higher workrate. Remember your potentiolly punching for 12 rounds with gloves that weigh 10 ounces.
How is punching slower activating muscles differently than a punch going to help work rate or endurance? You don't punch by raising your arms do you, your arms have fark all to do with a punch anyway you numpty, learn the sport instead of masturbating over the boxer man you saw when you were watching the wrasslin.
When has Mayweather been known for his high work rate anyway? He uses his skills and picks his punches.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing