atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Fan Q&A with Chris Eubank Sr

Monday, June 4, 2012

Who was the best fighter you ever fought?
“By far, Michael Watson in our second fight.”
Did Joe Calzaghe hit harder than Nigel Benn as Frank ****** claimed you said..?
“Benn hit me hardest by far, harder than cruiser Carl Thompson even.”
Is it true that you wanted nothing to do with the Michael Nunn & James Toney?
“That’s interesting, because I signed to fight both Nunn and James Toney. As part of the contract with Don King for Nunn, where I was the first fighter to get one over on him when me and Nigel drew. And as part of the contract with SKY for James Toney, where I was the first fighter to sign for a TV [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] direct, but he lost to Roy Jones.”
Did Roy Jones Jr duck you?
“I was never mandated. But I asked Roy Jones about 10 or 12 years ago if he’d said back in ’93 that the one fighter he thought would give him problems and had reservations of taking on was me. He told me yes that was true.”
Did you take on all the toughest challenges in your career in your opinion?
“As world champion, what you want to avoid is a southpaw who is 6ft or more and unbeaten or been world champion. Rocchigiani and Calzaghe were fights that no other fighter would take. I took them, even though they weren’t even mandated.
“Not even Roy Jones, rated as the best pound-for-pound fighter in history by some writers, would take that fight even when it was mandated to.”
Did you train on Xmas Day and New Years Day and was this hard?
“Yes, and in hindsight it was year-by-year progression to the very best objectively; going into New Year ’91 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for an unbeaten, never-before-dropped world title challenger; New Year ’92 training for never-before-dropped, future world champion; New Year ’93 training for 45-win former world champion; and New Year ’94 training for 35-0 former and future world champion.
“I never missed a single days training from the age of 16 until after I fought Nigel Benn in 1990 and I trained seven days a week to that point.”
How would you have fared against Mike McCallum, Reggie Johnson or Sumbu Kalambay?
“McCallum: I wouldn’t like to say, we are good friends. The other two: difficult styles but I had incredible strength for a middleweight and they didn’t hit anywhere near as hard as Nigel Benn to keep me off.”
Did you see Joe Calzaghe going unbeaten for a further 11 years after your fight?
“No because everyone loses. One must take into [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] that 11 years was 22 fights or so for him, whereas I had the showmanship and made myself marketable enough to fight five or six title fights a year which was three times as difficult to stay unbeaten.
“He didn’t lose, but he was stuck down the canvas by fighters of pedigree and got up to win in style, every time. Calzaghe was a great fighter.”
Who would’ve won between Steve Collins or Joe Calzaghe?
“Calzaghe was a different class to Collins in terms of ability and talent.”
Who is your favourite fighter of all-time?
“Jack Johnson, and I would like to play the part in his movie.”
atberry is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Seckah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Why do people from the UK think Joe Calzaghe is the greatest SMH!!! Roy, Toney, Hopkins, Eubanks in their prime would beat Joe GTFOH
Seckah is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Not even Roy Jones, rated as the best pound-for-pound fighter in history by some writers, would take that fight even when it was mandated to
Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Who cares he beat the guy that beat Nunn w/ease ! Enough with this ..On to more important boxing news ..Where is SNV ?

Last edited by Imperial1; 06-04-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Eubank is flapping his gums alot lately.

Nobody will fight you Chris, and your son won't go further than domestic level.

S S S Sorry.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
Who cares he beat the guy that beat Nunn handily !
Nunn was beating a fit Toney more handily than Jones was beating a dead one
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Sure that excuse again ..Its been no secret to the boxing world of Toney's weight problems .Regardless who could have out boxed Toney like that ? Not many ! But Nunn was also Ko ed by Toney ! Funny he wins his fight before Jones and after but weight is the issue for his loss to Jones ..Can't have it both ways brotha..
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
facejacker

****s sake, i think we can all agree RJJ, Toney, Nunn, Eubank and Benn where all shit hot
facejacker is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
FAT_TONEY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
Sure that excuse again ..Its been no secret to the boxing world of Toney's weight problems .Regardless who could have out boxed Toney like that ? Not many ! But Nunn was also Ko ed by Toney ! Funny he wins his fight before Jones and after but weight is the issue for his loss to Jones ..Can't have it both ways brotha..
Toney KOing Nunn was one of the few times Toney entered the ring without having trouble to make the weight - that's why he didn't tire in the late rounds, like Nunn did. Toney was still a bit green then, and a 10-1 underdog, but he was the fitter man.
When RJJ beat Toney, Toney was sick and weak from losing all that weight in a short time and he was maybe at a 50% compared to when he beat Barkley. But still, I think Roy would have beaten Toney regardless of that, but not as easy... Toney is still Roys best win to date.

For the record, I think Eubank would have given Toney a lot of trouble and might have beaten him on good night. Not Benn though, Toney would've KOed Benn no doubt. Styles make fights
FAT_TONEY is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
FAT_TONEY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by facejacker View Post
****s sake, i think we can all agree RJJ, Toney, Nunn, Eubank and Benn where all shit hot
Each one of these would have ruled todays MW, SMW or LHW division
FAT_TONEY is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
lol ya right...

Did Toney win more than one round against Jones? I don't think he did...Toney won like 4 rounds against Nunn and then knocked him the **** out.
Body Head is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1945

another boring quote fest from eubank sr by atberry jesussssssss
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Box-Fan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

He should thank his lucky stars he didn't fight Nunn or Toney, they would have given him a boxing lesson imo
Box-Fan is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

And he never said Roy ducked Nunn...He was talking about Graciano who was 6'1" and at the time in '94 was undefeated when he faced Eubank for the title.

He's saying pretty much Roy didn't have the balls to face someone like that...lmao Eubank is a joke. Rocchigiani wasn't all that of a threat like Eubank makes him out to be and he didn't even punch that hard.
Body Head is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Snakefist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Toney wasnt dead for the Jones fight and he wasnt "100%" for Nunn. He always had a tough time making weight. Toney naturally weighed 220, he did back in high school. But he decided to fight at MW and loss all that weight. Some fighters have different weaknesses, Toneys was his weight more than ANYTHING else. This is nothing but an excuse, Toney fought between fit-and okay all the time at MW/SMW, he has NEVER had an easy time making weight, never at those weights. Why do you think he was screaming for Burger King at the end? The only difference with the Jones fight, was that he loss. If he loss the Nunn fight, then he wouldve talked about the weight as being a obstacle to his performance. Anyways though, Nunn vs Toney was closer than you are putting on. Jones in the Toney fight was speedy Gonzales, Nunn has no where near the legs Jones has.
Snakefist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum