Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

What is it about the UK and their obsesseion over Jones Jr?
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Snakefist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: where da crazy women be!
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
What is it about the UK and their obsesseion over Jones Jr?
Because of Calzaghe, RJJ will always be better than him and rated higher than him P4P, and people overlook Cal and say RJJ was the best at SMW and they hate it.
Snakefist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
Sure that excuse again ..Its been no secret to the boxing world of Toney's weight problems .Regardless who could have out boxed Toney like that ? Not many ! But Nunn was also Ko ed by Toney ! Funny he wins his fight before Jones and after but weight is the issue for his loss to Jones ..Can't have it both ways brotha..

Dave Tiberi, Montell Griffin and Drake Thadzi. That's all I'll say.

We would have learnt more about Jones if he took on tough challenges like Nunn, Eubank and Nigel Benn.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakefist View Post
Because of Calzaghe, RJJ will always be better than him and rated higher than him P4P, and people overlook Cal and say RJJ was the best at SMW and they hate it.
I never thought about it like that. Hm.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 1644
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Dave Tiberi, Montell Griffin and Drake Thadzi. That's all I'll say.

We would have learnt more about Jones if he took on tough challenges like Nunn, Eubank and Nigel Benn.
Bet you didn't see any of those fights. Definitely not the Griffin fights cause Toney got robbed. Glass knowledged brit.
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH_718 View Post
Bet you didn't see any of those fights. Definitely not the Griffin fights cause Toney got robbed. Glass knowledged brit.

Another one of the 'Toney got robbed' brigade. Did you see him get a gift decision against Dave Tiberi? Did you see him get beat by Drake Thadzi in his prime? Proof that Toney often showed up out of shape and could be beaten by ordinary fighters, many could have beaten the James Toney that Roy beat. Although Roy did it in impressive fashion

What does me being British have to do with anything?
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
Bobo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 254
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Another one of the 'Toney got robbed' brigade. Did you see him get a gift decision against Dave Tiberi? Did you see him get beat by Drake Thadzi in his prime? Proof that Toney often showed up out of shape and could be beaten by ordinary fighters, many could have beaten the James Toney that Roy beat. Although Roy did it in impressive fashion

What does me being British have to do with anything?
i think we've had this discussion before. TONEY BEAT THADZI AND GOT ROBBED
Bobo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
i think we've had this discussion before. TONEY BEAT THADZI AND GOT ROBBED

Freddie Roach and James Toney certainly didn't feel they were winning at the end of rounds 10 and 11. Give Drake Thadzi the credit he deserves for beating a prime James Toney
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
Bobo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 254
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakefist View Post
Toney wasnt dead for the Jones fight and he wasnt "100%" for Nunn. He always had a tough time making weight. Toney naturally weighed 220, he did back in high school. But he decided to fight at MW and loss all that weight. Some fighters have different weaknesses, Toneys was his weight more than ANYTHING else. This is nothing but an excuse, Toney fought between fit-and okay all the time at MW/SMW, he has NEVER had an easy time making weight, never at those weights. Why do you think he was screaming for Burger King at the end? The only difference with the Jones fight, was that he loss. If he loss the Nunn fight, then he wouldve talked about the weight as being a obstacle to his performance. Anyways though, Nunn vs Toney was closer than you are putting on. Jones in the Toney fight was speedy Gonzales, Nunn has no where near the legs Jones has.
there weren't stories of Toney having to lose a mass amount of weight weeks before the Nunn fight, in fact weighing in at 157, a motivated and hungry Toney. Toney did however have to lose a mass amount of weight weeks before the Roy Jones fight. But obviously, to be fair it was Toney's fault. Just look at the mass difference in Toney's body in the Barkley fight compared to the Jones fight. Toney was damn near 190 pounds on fight night against Roy.
Bobo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #25
Bobo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 254
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Freddie Roach and James Toney certainly didn't feel they were winning at the end of rounds 10 and 11. Give Drake Thadzi the credit he deserves for beating a prime James Toney
ugghh.....
Bobo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
ugghh.....

In boxing, robberies occur because of politics. Now ask yourself this, why would they rob James Toney, who was clearly the more marketable and profitable fighter in favour of Drake Thadzi, a complete nobody before and after?
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Toney is the biggest myth in boxing history, even in his prime the likes of tiberi and sanderline were kicking the shit out of his steroid riddled cranium, he was also having life and death split decision struggles against the likes of sosa and johnson, never mind the thadzi and griffin fights.

you only have to look at how the toney fans try and big up wins against the likes of jirov and barkley to try and boost toneys flagging career. jirov was just a plane old eurobum who has barely beat anyone of note in his entire professional career, whilst barkley had previously been tko'd in 1 round v benn and got the shit kicked out of him by a shot 37 year old lightweight in duran.

if anyone wants a good laugh, go and check out toneys run when he was supermiddleweight champ, its one of the most embarrassing reigns in boxing history, only in america could a champion get away with fighting such bog standard opposition.
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
Bobo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 254
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
Toney is the biggest myth in boxing history, even in his prime the likes of tiberi and sanderline were kicking the shit out of his steroid riddled cranium, he was also having life and death split decision struggles against the likes of sosa and johnson, never mind the thadzi and griffin fights.

you only have to look at how the toney fans try and big up wins against the likes of jirov and barkley to try and boost toneys flagging career. jirov was just a plane old eurobum who has barely beat anyone of note in his entire professional career, whilst barkley had previously been tko'd in 1 round v benn and got the shit kicked out of him by a shot 37 year old lightweight in duran.

if anyone wants a good laugh, go and check out toneys run when he was supermiddleweight champ, its one of the most embarrassing reigns in boxing history, only in america could a champion get away with fighting such bog standard opposition.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Bobo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #29
Momus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Toney was probably the most most hot and cold top level fighter of his era, which means that it is virtually impossible to have a constructive debate him. His supporters push a variety of excuses for all of his losses, while his detractors focus purely on his worst losses and ignore how good he could be on his day.

Toney was brilliant at his best, and mediocre at his worst. The thing is, you could say the same about Eubank. The Schommer "win" (which seems to get overlooked) was every bit as bad a performance as Toney against Tiberi.

What you have to give credit for is Eubank's willingness to fight on the road in his opponent's backyard. I can't remember the betting odds for Rocchigiani, but a lot of people were favouring Rocky.
Momus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #30
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Nunn was Roy's mandatory in 97-98 and he gave up the WBC belt instead
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013