Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #61
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Is it true that you wanted nothing to do with the Michael Nunn & James Toney?
“That’s interesting, because I signed to fight both Nunn and James Toney. As part of the contract with Don King for Nunn, where I was the first fighter to get one over on him when me and Nigel drew. And as part of the contract with SKY for James Toney, where I was the first fighter to sign for a TV [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] direct, but he lost to Roy Jones.”
Thats a blatant lie. Toney was planning to move up to lhw but was talked into fighting Jones because he was offered the chance of getting a long term hbo contract. Eubank was never in the picture at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Did Roy Jones Jr duck you?
“I was never mandated. But I asked Roy Jones about 10 or 12 years ago if he’d said back in ’93 that the one fighter he thought would give him problems and had reservations of taking on was me. He told me yes that was true.”
Jones didn't rate Eubank highly
general zod is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #62
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
oh what ****ing idiot is claiming that Roy waited for Joe Calzaghe to age before daring to face him...despite Jones being years older than Joe..was Roy banking of someday finding the Fountain of Youth in Peru so that he could return to his twentysomething years? UTTER ****WIT.
Even with this spelt out the dumbass troll will still claim he in the right whilst being completetly wrong.

jeez guys dont feed the ****ing Calzaghe troll.
Did Hopkins not fight Jones until Jones was more faded than himself, even though Hopkins was older? Hopkins wouldnt fight Jones when they were both dominating seperate divisions.

Look at this, you may enjoy

Former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr, speaking with The Sunday Times, responded to Joe Calzaghe's recent claim of chasing Jones for several years and being brushed aside. Calzaghe spoke with The Sunday Mirror and appeared to have some newfound hostility when Jones' name came up.

"I spent five or six years chasing Jones and he acted like he never even knew my name," said Calzaghe. "Suddenly, I beat Hopkins in Vegas and Jones wants to be my neighbor - it's ridiculous. If a fight with Jones made sense from a cash point of view, then it could happen, but he is notorious for asking for too much money."

Jones says that he viewed Calzaghe as a possible opponent several years ago, but at the time he saw no reason to travel to Wales to chase the fight. Now that Calzaghe is the bigger star, Jones is willing to make the fight anywhere.

“I saw Joe as a potential opponent a long time ago,” Jones said. “But I had my eyes on higher things, such as winning the heavyweight title, so it was nothing against Joe, I love everything about him. He’s a fun guy, an entertaining guy, a good person. We took some pictures together with his sons after the fight on Saturday and we’ve talked on the phone. But boxing is business. When I was the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world it wouldn’t have been smart for me to go and fight Joe.

”You don’t go to somebody else when you’re the best, they must come to you, so I wouldn’t take the risk, and why would I? Why would I meet that challenge when I’m already the best? Why would I go to your country and give you a chance to allow the powers that be to take a close decision and give it to you?"

Jones says a fight with Calzaghe is the best fight in boxing, even better than a possible rematch between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr, scheduled for September.

“But right now this is the best fight out there, better than the Oscar De La Hoya-Floyd Mayweather rematch because we all know what the outcome of that fight is going to be – another win for Floyd. You don’t know the outcome of this fight, however, so it’s a fight people are going to want to see. There’s suspense, and that’s what makes for a big fight," Jones says.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Roy was right to go after the HW title. It was a better move on his part.
Still they (Hopkins and Jones) didnt show interest in fighting Calzaghe until he was at the end of his career and fighting at a new weight. I dont blame Jones as he wanted the HW title, but Hopkins didnt want to try his luck
bailey is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #63
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

Bailey, are you saying Jones and Hopkins (the older men) waited for Joe to age before wanting to fight him?
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #64
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post
Bailey, are you saying Jones and Hopkins (the older men) waited for Joe to age before wanting to fight him?

Why did Hopkins in his prime in 2002, turn down a career high payday to fight Calzaghe in Vegas? Joe called out Hopkins numerous times at the start of the decade, and Bernard turned down £3m to face him.

With Jones, he turned down offers to fight Calzaghe, and instead pursued the HW title which was obviously the smarter move. So that fight wasn't meant to happen, but you can't accuse Calzaghe of ducking a prime Roy Jones.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #65
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Why did Hopkins in his prime in 2002, turn down a career high payday to fight Calzaghe in Vegas? Joe called out Hopkins numerous times at the start of the decade, and Bernard turned down £3m to face him.

With Jones, he turned down offers to fight Calzaghe, and instead pursued the HW title which was obviously the smarter move. So that fight wasn't meant to happen, but you can't accuse Calzaghe of ducking a prime Roy Jones.

I wasn't accusing mate just asking Bailey a question. I went over this not too long ago and i haven't got time now to get into it again.

The notion of Hopkins and Jones waiting for Joe to age is nonsesical to me.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #66
rapidfire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post

Jones didn't rate Eubank highly

How do you know ? Did you ask Roy ?
rapidfire is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #67
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I wasn't accusing mate just asking Bailey a question. I went over this not too long ago and i haven't got time now to get into it again.

The notion of Hopkins and Jones waiting for Joe to age is nonsesical to me.

Yeah fair enough. Likewise, the notion of Joe hiding out and waiting for Bernard and Roy to age is just as nonsensical.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #68
Arran
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post

Jones only got stopped in his early 30's and after he came back down from HW ..Prior to that he was on a tear for 15 yrs soundly out boxing Hall of Famers Hill ,Johnson Hopkins and Toney !

Meanwhile the guy you love to build up waited for Jones to get brutally KO ed several times before he had enough courage to get on a plane and come to the US ! Lets also not forget that he went 10 yrs with out facing an elite level fighter ! While Jones was being praised for his body of work in over 10 yr span your hero milked his career against B caliber fighters but you want to talk about who fought who When Calzaghe finally stepped up his biggest named opponents they were long past their best ..But hey you want celebrate padded records go ahead ..We all know where who stands where all time !

hardly his fault hopkins ran away....and why should the champ travel? dont see Ward leaving oakland again in his career
Arran is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #69
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidfire View Post
How do you know ? Did you ask Roy ?
I got an interview from 95 where Jones talks about Eubank and his opponents
general zod is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #70
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 84

Quote:
Im saying they were the ones who refused offers
Quote:

I dont blame Jones for going for the HW title.
I was being a bit sarcastic to the poster that said Calzaghe waited till they were past prime to fight them, when the truth was that they turned down offers to fight Calzaghe when he was prime.
On the same note to Threetime #1 -
Did Hopkins not fight Jones until Jones was more faded than himself, even though Hopkins was older? Hopkins wouldnt fight Jones when they were both dominating seperate divisions?
bailey is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #71
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
[/left]

hardly his fault hopkins ran away....and why should the champ travel? dont see Ward leaving oakland again in his career
Hopkins ran no doubt but there is no excuse for him taking 10 yrs to fight an elite level guy regardles if it was at home or over seas ..And the same for Jones why did he have travel if Joe didn't have to ?
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #72
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hopkins ran no doubt but there is no excuse for him taking 10 yrs to fight an elite level guy regardles if it was at home or over seas ..And the same for Jones why did he have travel if Joe didn't have to ?

The elite guys (Jones, Hopkins and Ottke) all turned down offers to fight Calzaghe. What other 'elite' guys were out there for Joe to fight?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #73
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
The elite guys (Jones, Hopkins and Ottke) all turned down offers to fight Calzaghe. What other 'elite' guys were out there for Joe to fight?

Sure they turned him down this is the same Joe who called out Roy in 2000 then waited what more than 6yrs to go after him Tell me he couldn't have fought anyone else from 97 to 07 other than the guys he fought ? Sure just there was nooooo one for him to fight in over 10 yrs
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #74
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Sure they turned him down this is the same Joe who called out Roy in 2000 then waited what more than 6yrs to go after him Tell me he couldn't have fought anyone else from 97 to 07 other than the guys he fought ? Sure just there was nooooo one for him to fight in over 10 yrs

He called Roy out in 2002-2003, when Roy was P4P number 1. At that time, Roy evidently had bigger fish to fry and went and fought Ruiz, this makes perfect sense. Neither party 'ducked' the other, the fight wasn't meant to happen. Hopkins and Ottke clearly turned down good offers to fight Joe, when those fights made perfect sense (Ottke and Calzaghe were belt holders in the same divisions, Hopkins had cleaned out MW, good time to move up and win a title at SMW, career high payday).

He did beat good fighters in that time span, former world champions like Reid, Woodhall, Brewer and Mitchell. There was a weak run in his career in the few years leading up to Lacy, but then who was out there for Joe to fight?

So, he tried to fight the elite guys and the fights couldn't be made. Help me out then Imperial, who did he duck?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #75
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
He called Roy out in 2002-2003, when Roy was P4P number 1. At that time, Roy evidently had bigger fish to fry and went and fought Ruiz, this makes perfect sense. Neither party 'ducked' the other, the fight wasn't meant to happen. Hopkins and Ottke clearly turned down good offers to fight Joe, when those fights made perfect sense (Ottke and Calzaghe were belt holders in the same divisions, Hopkins had cleaned out MW, good time to move up and win a title at SMW, career high payday).

So, he tried to fight the elite guys and the fights couldn't be made. Help me out then Imperial, who did he duck?
So again from the time he fought Eubanks and Kessler are you telling me Roy Hopkins and Otteke were the only people he could have fought ?

You don't think he could have made the jump to lt heavy earlier since he was calling out the best fighter p4p who happened to be a lt heavy ? There were plenty of names out there ..What boxing rec doesn't list them ?Do I need to educate you on the sport man ? Go do your research !

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum