Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #122
Ren
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Eubank: RJJ DUCKED Nunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Boxer View Post
None that I know of. If you've got any other examples, please share.
well fair enough, you now MEAN to say 'none that you know of, but you've never looked for them'.

i dont intend to go searching, but out of the tens of thousands made, I'd be willing to bet there are some, I'd never deny the obvious.
Ren is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #123
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
How did i make it personal?

Perhaps for a career high payday of 3m??

Why should Hopkins entertain a no mark contender in Morrade Hakkar for 300k instead?

So you criticise his opposition, yet at the same time acknowledge that he was looking for bigger fights with the likes of Hopkins?

Have a look at this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Another example of what can Joe do if these guys don't want to face him

When should he have fought Liles? He had a fight scheduled with Echols, who pulled out. Danny Green was a novice back then, if Joe beat him it would be another cherry pick.

Don't forget, Ottke won his titles in complete robberies against Mitchell and Brewer (Top SMW's of the era), Joe then beat both of these guys clearly. Reid also went on to get robbed by Ottke, Joe beat him clearly before.

For money!

Do me a favour, and go look at some of the 'questionable opposition' that Hopkins defended his MW Title against. He turned down 3m to face Calzaghe, and instead fought Hakkar for 300k. Don't forget Bernard's legendary trilogy with Robert Allen. Why should he have entertained these guys, for less money!?

Go look at who Roy Jones defended his LHW title against

Why give it the and the ?. I am simply telling you ***** and Joe could've done a lot more in his WBO title reign, but you just wanna hover on the fact Hopkins didn't fight him in '02.

...and you're damn right i'm questioning his opposition and were not talking about Jones and Hopkins are we? Their names were already made, were talking about Joe and his shocking defences. Yeah Hopkins and Jones were guilty of cherry picking too, but that's another debate.

I give you six of Joe's shit defences and 8 men he could've fought from 97 - 05, i can't put it more clearer than that.

Liles he could've fought in the late 90's, Liles was past it but a better name and fighter than ****ing Sobot, Thornberry, Gimenez. Green was fighting Beyer and Lucas in 03-05 surely he was better than Mkrtchyan, Salem and Ashira. But that's just two men he could've fought.

The point is some of his defences where horrendous and he could've fought a lot better. Anyone who has a clue would see this.

Beyer, Ottke, Lucas etc etc, the fact is he didn't fight any of these names or he never travelled to the states to prove he was as good as he claimed at that time.

Instead of chasing Jones and Hopkins he should've been beating better men and trying his hardest to unify belts, which he eventually ended up doing and that did get him the big fights. But far too late.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #124
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
If Calzaghe wanted recognition in America, he should've went there 10 years sooner, 9 years sooner, or 8 years soon, even 7 years sooner... if he was struggling to make 168 so badly, he should've moved up to light-heavy and worked his way into mandatory spots.

He didn't seem to give a crap back then. He was a disgrace, and even more so was VVarren a disgrace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Joe probably had many of the worst world title challengers in history.

Exactly mate, i don't see how some can't see this.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #125
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post
I give you six of Joe's shit defences and 8 men he could've fought from 97 - 05, i can't put it more clearer than that.
You can do this to any long reigning champion.

Quote:
Liles he could've fought in the late 90's, Liles was past it but a better name and fighter than ****ing Sobot, Thornberry, Gimenez. Green was fighting Beyer and Lucas in 03-05 surely he was better than Mkrtchyan, Salem and Ashira. But that's just two men he could've fought.
No-one is arguing that Calzaghe had some handpicked defences, but any long reigning champion has. Liles was past it, and got knocked out by Mitchell not long after Joe won his first title. Joe then became the first to ever stop Mitchell.

Liles is exactly the kind of guy, if Joe beat him, you'd just moan and write him off as being shot and handpicked.

Quote:
Beyer, Ottke, Lucas etc etc, the fact is he didn't fight any of these names or he never travelled to the states to prove he was as good as he claimed at that time.
Who should he have travelled to the states to fight? This 'travel to the states' is becoming a cliche. You're giving me the names of fighters he should have fought, who are based in Europe, then telling me he should have traveled to the states

He tried to make fights with Hopkins and Jones, and it didn't happen. So what other elite fighters were out there for Joe to face, to get the recognition in America?

Quote:
Instead of chasing Jones and Hopkins he should've been beating better men and trying his hardest to unify belts, which he eventually ended up doing and that did get him the big fights. But far too late.

As you can see, he was trying to make fights with Hopkins, Jones, Ottke, Echols, Steve Collins and more, and these fights couldn't be made for one reason or another. He did defend against the likes of Reid, Woodhall, Mitchell and Brewer, these were all strong defences against former and future champions. Three of those were robbed against Ottke, who ducked Calzaghe.
knockout artist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum