Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: 1935 Max "Bronze Age" Baer VS 2005 Sam "Caveman" Peter - 12 Rounds SLUGFEST WAR
Peter KO 13 30.95%
Max KO 26 61.90%
Peter Decision 1 2.38%
Max Decision 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: 1935 Max "Bronze Age" Baer VS 2005 Sam "Caveman" Peter

Yeah, but can Baer do the ALi shuffle?

Cz Sam Peters can
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
Foreman might struggle with Peters elusiveness though
I only seen "Stone Age" Sammy use bobbing And weaving headmovements in Wladdy 2, And he was like a homeless tramp's verion of Shot Smokey Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
Yeah, but can Baer do the ALi shuffle?

Cz Sam Peters can
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Beat more ranked Heavys. Both famous for dropping champions. At least Galento was from a punch and Peter's were from clubbing rabbit punches.

Peter won the WBC belt, beat Toney twice, and dropped Wlad three times en route to a decision loss. What exactly did Galento do better than that?
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #34
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
Nope.

Carnera was a big useless fraud who needed frequent fixed fights courtsey of the Italian Mafia.
Absolute rubbish.

There is no suggestion that any of the key fights that established Carnera as a title challenger were fixed.

I would also be interested to see you try to back up your claim that McCline showed better skills on film.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #35
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post

Peter won the WBC belt, beat Toney twice, and dropped Wlad three times en route to a decision loss. What exactly did Galento do better than that?
Beating a fat shot old mw at hw is something extraordinary? Galento beat better hws than that. Dropping someone makes you special? I guess that makes Firpo and Wepner what? Atgs? Oh, and Galento dropped Joes Louis. what does that make him? Yeah Peter won the WBC belt, in an at best mediocre era with 4 belts. What Galento did better was lined out by Flea already.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #36
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
Peter beat McCline, who's the same enormous size as Carnera, but visibly better H2H on film.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

6'6, 266lbs.
He's clearly not better than Carnera on film. He's also a non-puncher who had Peter all over the place.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #37
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:

You are a spastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Absolute rubbish.

There is no suggestion that any of the key fights that established Carnera as a title challenger were fixed.

I would also be interested to see you try to back up your claim that McCline showed better skills on film.
He won't be able to as he's stuck in his ways and clutching at straws.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #38
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Beating a fat shot old mw at hw is something extraordinary? Galento beat better hws than that. Dropping someone makes you special? I guess that makes Firpo and Wepner what? Atgs? Oh, and Galento dropped Joes Louis. what does that make him? Yeah Peter won the WBC belt, in an at best mediocre era with 4 belts. What Galento did better was lined out by Flea already.
Who the hell's talking about ATGs? I'm simply challenging the ludicrous assertion that a fat, unskilled barroom brawler with no notable wins barring a disgraceful mauling of Lou Nova that was borderline no holds barred, is better than a slightly less fat, slightly more skilled brawler who, whatever his many faults, managed to beat Toney twice, win a portion of the heavyweight belt and gave Wlad one of the toughest fights of his career. Understand?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #39
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Who the hell's talking about ATGs? I'm simply challenging the ludicrous assertion that a fat, unskilled barroom brawler with no notable wins barring a disgraceful mauling of Lou Nova that was borderline no holds barred, is better than a slightly less fat, slightly more skilled brawler who, whatever his many faults, managed to beat Toney twice, win a portion of the heavyweight belt and gave Wlad one of the toughest fights of his career. Understand?
Peter isnīt more skilled than Galento. Galentoīs win over Nova is better than any of Peterīs. You act as if Peterīs wins over Toney are relevant. First, most people think he lost the first one. Second, Toney was an old, fat, shot former mw. Winning against him doesnīt mean anything. Losing means you are sh*t. And he won a belt. Hurray, from a glas-jawed old man. fighters make the championships and Maskaev was one of the worst to ever hold a belt. Peter wasnīt much better. And Galento knocked down Joe Louis thatīs more impressive than Peter losing every round but the ones where he score knockdowns by illegal rabbit-punches against Wlad.

Galento > Peter.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #40
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
He's clearly not better than Carnera on film. He's also a non-puncher who had Peter all over the place.
If McCline was a non-puncher what exactly does that make Wlad? He was hitting Peter flush with right hands throughout the whole of their fight.

Quote:
You are a spastic.
And you're incapable of mounting a decent argument for Galento besides "beat more ranked heavies". Who exactly?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #41
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Peter isnīt more skilled than Galento. Galentoīs win over Nova is better than any of Peterīs. You act as if Peterīs wins over Toney are relevant. First, most people think he lost the first one. Second, Toney was an old, fat, shot former mw. Winning against him doesnīt mean anything. Losing means you are sh*t. And he won a belt. Hurray, from a glas-jawed old man. fighters make the championships and Maskaev was one of the worst to ever hold a belt. Peter wasnīt much better. And Galento knocked down Joe Louis thatīs more impressive than Peter losing every round but the ones where he score knockdowns by illegal rabbit-punches against Wlad.

Galento > Peter.
Why shouldn't Peter's wins over Toney be considered relevant? They were both sanctioned, both fought under the rules of the local commission, there were no egregious fouls or other controversy barring the closeness of the decision in the first fight. Seem like perfectly legitimate wins to me. Can the same be said for the Nova fight? Uh, no it can't.

Oh, but Toney was an old, shot former MW. Tell me, what was Toney's last loss before the first Peter fight and when did it happen? When was the last time Toney had fought at middlewight? Where was this terrible erosion of skills that Toney displayed prior to the Peter fights that lead you to the conclusion that he was shot?

"Peter isnīt more skilled than Galento."

Um yeah, last I checked Peter didn't have trouble throwing multiple punches without his feet leaving the ground and had working knowledge of a thing called "a jab". Galento was one of the most awful fighters, skill-wise, to ever fight for a title. He had terrible control of distance, laughable combinations that involved off balance windmill punching with his chin in the air, and a gross inability to correctly turn his punches over that was reminiscent of the most amateur brawlers. Peter was Joe Frazier in comparison.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #42
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutely
Um yeah, last I checked Peter didn't have trouble throwing multiple punches without his feet leaving the ground and had working knowledge of a thing called "a jab". Galento was one of the most awful fighters, skill-wise, to ever fight for a title. He had terrible control of distance, laughable combinations that involved off balance windmill punching with his chin in the air, and a gross inability to correctly turn his punches over that was reminiscent of the most amateur brawlers. Peter was Joe Frazier in comparison.
This is all fair but Peter was also shit at everything (and in his late 30s). As for Galento, was also tough as nails, rough and hit hard. Fact is he was a fat welterweight.

The Nova win was a win for Galento. Fact. It was ugly.

In the first Wlad fight; I think Peter's equilibrium was ruined. Hence why McCline knocked him around. Still, McCline was nothing special. Neither was Carnera, but looks more capable against better fighters than Peter (I consider the Sharkey win legit')

Peter's 'power' was only evident against shot and always vulnerable Maskaev and that Jeremy guy who was a journeyman. As for the Toney fights, I think James won the first handily.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #43
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Why shouldn't Peter's wins over Toney be considered relevant? They were both sanctioned, both fought under the rules of the local commission, there were no egregious fouls or other controversy barring the closeness of the decision in the first fight. Seem like perfectly legitimate wins to me. Can the same be said for the Nova fight? Uh, no it can't.

Oh, but Toney was an old, shot former MW. Tell me, what was Toney's last loss before the first Peter fight and when did it happen? When was the last time Toney had fought at middlewight? Where was this terrible erosion of skills that Toney displayed prior to the Peter fights that lead you to the conclusion that he was shot?
The Nova fight was ugly but a legit win.

Holmes-Ali was sancioned too. Doesnīt mean Ali wasnīt shot and and had Parkinson, does it? Means nothing, since itīs all about money.

Did you see the Peter-Toney fights? Compared to even his (somewhat) near prime days - for example Holyfield fight? And you seriously wanna say he wasnīt through and done. And he won the first fight anyway. What does that tell you about Peter?

And looking at Toney you think he was a hw? Seriously? That he could compete there shows what an excellent fighter he was (at his best) but he was no hw. His best feats are a drug-induced and nullified win over one of the worst champs ever in Ruiz and a win over shot Holyfield. Great. Sorry that does not make him a good contender, especially not when clearly beeing done and/or shot.

Quote:
"Peter isnīt more skilled than Galento."

Hm, when I wouldnīt have seen the name, Iīd have said you mean Peter with that.

Galento was aweful technically. So was/is Peter.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #44
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

I honestly would put Galento and Peter at the same level, both had underrated skills but were terribly inconsistent. Sometimes they were in shape, most of the time they weren't, most of the time it didn't matter. Both were also dirty as ****.

I would give Galento an edge in proven durabilty and power though. He knocked out or stopped more contenders in Nova, Ettore, Thomas, and Mann. Only dropped once against some of the best punchers of his era in a very long career, where as Peter has shown freakish resistance to right hands he has also been rocked and put down several times by short hooks and uppercuts. In a H2H fight, I would give 2 Ton the edge.
The Mongoose is online now  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #45
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Absolute rubbish.

I think Kalasinn overstated his case, but so do you, when you say there was no suggestion that Sharkey went into the tank, there was plenty of aroma about that ,and even Sharkey's wife had her doubts about the legitimacy of the ko.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum