Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: 1935 Max "Bronze Age" Baer VS 2005 Sam "Caveman" Peter - 12 Rounds SLUGFEST WAR
Peter KO 13 30.95%
Max KO 26 61.90%
Peter Decision 1 2.38%
Max Decision 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #61
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200
Default Re: 1935 Max "Bronze Age" Baer VS 2005 Sam "Caveman" Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Unlike you he knows what he's talking about.
In an all-encompassing sense in terms of Boxing, or just on this particular subject?

I just thought, I had nothing extra to add to what he wrote, & i'm a pretty lazy poster.

Flea, I'm not sure whether to be offended & despise you forever or not.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #62
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Serously?

Ah, you mean the rabbit punches he needed to floor chinny Wlad?
THey were not all rabbit punches and any that hit him in the back were because Wlad was running for his life and turning away ... If you notice it took Wlad years to give Peter a rematch and that was only when Sam was way past his best ... give the guy the credit he is due ... in snap and motivated he was a tough challenge and at his best he was far more dangerous than any of the cruiser weights Baer fought .. as far as Max Baer outboxing anyone , that's funny ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #63
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
THey were not all rabbit punches and any that hit him in the back were because Wlad was running for his life and turning away ... give the guy the credit he is due ... in snap and motivated he was a tough challenge and at his best he was far more dangerous than any of the cruiser weights Baer fought .. as far as Max Baer outboxing anyone , that's funny ...
Guess Ali was running for his life against Liston too. Itīs called boxing But yeah, I guess Sam Peter was more dangerous than Louis and Schmeling.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #64
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
In an all-encompassing sense in terms of Boxing, or just on this particular subject?

I just thought, I had nothing extra to add to what he wrote, & i'm a pretty lazy poster.

Flea, I'm not sure whether to be offended & despise you forever or not.
Nah, I'm just trollin' ya'!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #65
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

Quote:
Nah, I'm just trollin' ya'!
Thank god for that.

I do need to watch more of Max Baer though & try to give him a second chance after reading an overwhelming majority of posts in his favour. I have Louis-Baer on DVD, but I haven't watched all of the available footage on Youtube. What fights of his do you recommend the most? When did he look his most impressive?
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #66
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Check him battering Carnera.

Past his best here and not favoured against the younger guy. BRUTAL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begybILjnuQ[/ame]
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #67
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Guess Ali was running for his life against Liston too. Itīs called boxing But yeah, I guess Sam Peter was more dangerous than Louis and Schmeling.
Yeah, Peter being more dangerous than that "crusier" Joe Louis at the very least...

Once upon time hegrant might have been a serious poster with a passion for hating Archie Moore and Maricano..but he has to be a full blown trolls these days.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #68
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

Quote:
Check him battering Carnera.

Past his best here and not favoured against the younger guy. BRUTAL

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I've seen the brutal Carnera fight, but it was good to see the Comiskey fight you posted. Baer looks more proficiently skilled puncher there, than does Peter in the Giles Knox fight which Manning constantly posts to show an in-shape Peter at his best.

BORKED
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #69
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Well that list of stiffs will really build credibility ... Peter would be far and away the most dangerous guy he ever fought ...limited but dangerous but so was Baer ..

Perhaps your forgetting how he had Wlad on the floor three times and hanging on for his life .... then again, Wlad was no Santa

I just took issue with your statement that Max "fought no one close to Peter in size, strength , power and speed. All those I mentioned were around the same size or appreciably bigger ,I don't know about their speed or strength or power ,and ,I suspect you don't either. I think Peter is a glorified club fighter.
Baer fought Schaaf, Schmeling, Farr,ect they are markedly better than Peter imo.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #70
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I donīt question his chin. Everybody can go down from a hard shot landing on the right spot. I question his stamina and will/heart. He can go 12 but at a low pace. Baer at his best would go a higher tempo than Peter is used to, and 15 instead of 12 rounds. And getting continuesly hit by shots as hard as the ones Baer delivers might very well take Peterīs will/heart away, as Vitali did. Of course Peter wonīt make it easy, especially in the beginning, but I can see a tiring Peter quitting in the 11-13 rounds.
I don't think Peter would have quit against Vitali if there wasn't open scoring that saw him getting shutout. It's demoralising been given that sort of news near the end of a tiring fight. It's like when you're trying for a PR on the mile, been in agony and looking at your stopwatch and seeing you're nowhere near making it, you mentally give up sometimes. That's 1 reason open scoring is a bad idea

Baer too could be criticised for a lack of heart against Louis

Again I absolutely go for the superior skillset of Baer to win the decision and fair point about his better stamina
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #71
dmar5143

vCash: 500

good thread .interesting matchups.first both baer and peter fought in a era of absolute mediocrity to crap.galento vs peter..i love galento for he was a likeable character.i cant think of any fighter in all the years ive watched boxing that had less skill then galento.he litterly had none.peter was one of the most overated slugs ive ever seen.natural power yes but koed no top fighter in the supreme era of mediocrity unless you count the russian who was koed 5 times.his chin is average and overated here.mccline decked him 3 times with so so punches and heleniius took him out.
peter and galento fight in tonys era where they actualy made fighters fight without apremature stopage..galento had a powerfull left hook.if he knew how to toss it properly it just could of been the best ever.galento had a great chin.tested and smashed every fight yet louis was the only one to deck him.go back to galentos era let them fight tony kos peter or makes him quit inside 7.anything goes in galentos book.you could attempt to do the same to tony.lets get it on.galento had heart.peter folds...peter vs max baer.max at his peak had a run for a few years.by the age of 26 he started to slide.baer had shorcomings in throwing combos with fluidity.great right hand that he could deliver at any range.peter is very hitable and against baer he moves foward.max times him so many times with that right that peter takes a 10 count inside 7..again baer had shortcomings but had heart.he had far more skill then peter and thats not saying much but peter to me was hitable very predictable and believed in the hype job about himself.
dmar5143 is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #72
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
I've seen the brutal Carnera fight, but it was good to see the Comiskey fight you posted. Baer looks more proficiently skilled puncher there, than does Peter in the Giles Knox fight which Manning constantly posts to show an in-shape Peter at his best.

BORKED
Wow! Sam is in good shape there though!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #73
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

Quote:
Wow! Sam is in good shape there though!
Sarcasm? He is for him, in a relative sense, but i'd rather see him another 8-13lbs lighter as i'm sure you would too. I mean really he's only 6'0, never mind his often listed 6'2 baloney.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #74
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yeah, for him! No sarcasm there, believe it or not.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #75
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

You can only go so far in defending Baer, because some fighters just don't back up the people who see a little more in them.

Defending Harry Greb or Joe Louis, is as easy as a good sh1t after a hot curry.

I think that Baer was an exceptional talent who wasted it, while I don't think the same can be said of Peter.

Peter was just a verry good talent who wasted it.
janitor is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum