Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 06:36 AM   #16
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default Re: weight training in boxing...

google it, i'll post some articles later.
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #17
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bobbyville
Posts: 357
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight training in boxing...

I read a little. It sounds good. I've never done it that way, but I might try.
Nwil is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:13 AM   #18
benj4
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight training in boxing...

I would build a solid foundation before doing pyo's or complex training. A 1.5 bodyweight barbell squat is optimal.
benj4 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bobbyville
Posts: 357
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight training in boxing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj4
I would build a solid foundation before doing pyo's or complex training. A 1.5 bodyweight barbell squat is optimal.
was that directed at me because I said I've never done complex training? I've done plyos, heavy weights, etc., just not consecutively like that. I can squat more than 1.5 my bodyweight.
Nwil is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #20
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight training in boxing...

lifting weights has been a mixed blessing for me. Sometimes I'm just way too strong at 128 pounds for others. But there is an awkwardness in my reflexes that is occasionally exposed against guys who can take my offense, though they aren't that common at such a low weight. Since I do weights quickly and somewhat explosively, there isn't a noticeable reduction in speed, and even my arm punches can be harder than an average guy my weight. However, I have torn a bicep before in a match when I threw a quick and hard jab because the muscle was still very tight from a previous session of lifting. You shouldn't be lifting a few days before a fight.

I don't tend to put on much weight from lifting, it made my walk around weight go from about 118 to 129 or so in about ten years. I think others would balloon up a little bit more.
aramini is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #21
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight training in boxing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramini
lifting weights has been a mixed blessing for me. Sometimes I'm just way too strong at 128 pounds for others. But there is an awkwardness in my reflexes that is occasionally exposed against guys who can take my offense, though they aren't that common at such a low weight. Since I do weights quickly and somewhat explosively, there isn't a noticeable reduction in speed, and even my arm punches can be harder than an average guy my weight. However, I have torn a bicep before in a match when I threw a quick and hard jab because the muscle was still very tight from a previous session of lifting. You shouldn't be lifting a few days before a fight.

I don't tend to put on much weight from lifting, it made my walk around weight go from about 118 to 129 or so in about ten years. I think others would balloon up a little bit more.
I want to see you stand on a scale and take a picture so I can believe you way 128 pounds!

If you do, then you are ESBs very own Sean Sherk!
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #22
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight training in boxing...

All right I will take a picture after my workout tonight with the gym scale but it is a balance one so it might be hard to get my face in their too. I will try to find an electronic one. You have to remember that in all the pictures I post I'm flexing or in motion - my muscles expand quite a bit.
aramini is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #23
benj4
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight training in boxing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwil
was that directed at me because I said I've never done complex training? I've done plyos, heavy weights, etc., just not consecutively like that. I can squat more than 1.5 my bodyweight.
It wasn't directed at you. It was directed at any readers who might decide to go out and try it without the proper foundation. And then can't get out of bed for three days.
benj4 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013