Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
dayuum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Coach says I should bend down my knees more so I become a smaller target

but won't I become much easier to hit against smaller guys?
dayuum is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Coach says I should bend down my knees more so I become a smaller target

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuum View Post
Not unless your arms somehow become shorter when you bend your legs.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Coach says I should bend down my knees more so I become a smaller target

At your regular stance, everyone is aiming at where your head is. If you bend your knees when they punch, or when you punch, they will still aim at where your head was a split second before.

You don't just want to keep your knees bent all the time. You want to vary the height of your head as well as the side to side position all the time.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

More mobility, less manoeuvrability
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Bend your Knees, before the Guy you are Fighting does
scrap is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuum View Post
seriously ,,,go to another gym or listen to another coach
123ko is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think the above comment is pointing out the irony of questioning what your coach says and seeking advice from the internet. Which is a far worse source for any information.
Here are reasons why this is not a smart thing to do:
1. Even if many people here are qualified to give advice, they cannot see what your coach sees - he can easily see any weaknesses and bad habits that you have and should have the best insight to try and develop your talent.
2. If you don't listen to your coach, he will tell you to go **** off. Boxing coaches are old-school, they don't want to be ****ed around with and waste their time. He will spend his efforts on other boxers that appreciate his advice.
3. Reading up on different strategies and techniques is a healthy habit. But to blatantly ignore instructions and seek help from other sources will confuse you. Even if your coach's talents are limited, you will be much worse off trying to wing it and ignore clear instructions.

Unless your coach is an incompetent moron who knows nothing about boxing, and you're way smarter and more experienced than he is (which is possible, i'm not saying it isn't - however very unlikely), you should probably trust him and follow his advice.

Maybe he's nit-picking on a minor detail. Or perhaps he's homed in on a major flaw, you'll never know unless you try it. If you're standing up too straight, your stance won't be stable, your punches will not generate enough power, and yes, you will be a larger target. Like a punching bag with legs.
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing