Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527
Default Joe Louis's Best Performances

I'm looking to do a Joe Louis Tribute can someone recommend his best fights? That would be greatly appreciated.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Louis's Best Performances

My personal favourite is the 1 round demolition of Buddy Baer - his power was scary an combinations scintillating in that one - in fact it contains probably my favourite Joe combination ever - its the series of shots he strings together for the 2nd knockdown - but get the clear/quality footage not the crappy hazy one
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Max Baer.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

His physical peak by his own account was Max Baer. The triple hook knockdown he used to conclude round three may actually be his finest moment on film athletically. This was actually a hook-right uppercut-hook (missed)-hook(missed)-hook-hook-hook combination delivered after Max got up from his first career knockdown, a tremendous seven punch barrage which took about three seconds to discharge. If I was only allowed a single brief clip from his career to show him off, this would be the one. How often do you see an HOF HW unload a quintuple hook on another HOF HW anyway? Joe was so great on film he sometimes gets taken for granted, but that flooring ranks with the one Ali inflicted on London, just a ridiculous outburst of speed and power for a HW (or any weight, for that matter).

Godoy II wasn't a manner of fighting he preferred, but the way he literally ripped apart Arturo's face has huge ramifications in a H2H peak for peak fantasy situation against 1969-1971 Frazier or Marciano. Louis was capable of fighting with deadly effectiveness in retreat against forward pressure from a low position, and I believe Godoy II to be his most evolved performance.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
MyName
Simon Adebisi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 7331

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Max Baer.
MyName is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Max Baer
Max Schmelling II
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Though probably passed best, the KO of Walcott in their rematch was a classic example of Louis keeping his cool, using the whole target so Walcott had a big area to defend, and the sort of controlled aggression that both permitted and pressured Walcott to throw a few punches of his own, making counter-punching opportunities.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

To me is Carnera....oh my, what a display of cleverness and power.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Baer
Schmelling II
Simon II
Buddy Baer II
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Does anyone think that Joe could have beaten Max Schmelling first time,if he'd done his pre fight homework better ?
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think that you would have to show somebody at least half a dozen Louis fights, to show his full repatoir.

Excelent calls so far, but I would suggest including excerpts from certain fights to show certain aspects of his repatoir e.g Louis Baer I and Louis Godoy II.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Does anyone think that Joe could have beaten Max Schmelling first time, if he'd done his pre fight homework better ?
I've always expressed the opinion that Max simply had Joe's number in a peak-for-peak first time match-up. He had the perfect weapon to capitalize on the Bomber's greatest technical flaw. An initial meeting would have always progressed into a chess match, and Louis, frankly, simply wasn't as smart as Schmeling. It was the Louis of the Max Baer fight that the German was prepared to knock out, and this was a past prime Schmeling.

I believe the Schmeling of Risko, Uzcudun I and Stribling would be too much for Joe of the Max Baer fight to decision (although Louis likely would conversely be too tough at his best for Schmeling to stop before the final bell). Max would be too smart, focused and cautious to leave a fatal opening, and Joe simply wouldn't have an answer for Schmeling's counter right this first time out. It's a styles thing to a certain extent, along with Max's brain power.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
I've always expressed the opinion that Max simply had Joe's number in a peak-for-peak first time match-up. He had the perfect weapon to capitalize on the Bomber's greatest technical flaw. An initial meeting would have always progressed into a chess match, and Louis, frankly, simply wasn't as smart as Schmeling. It was the Louis of the Max Baer fight that the German was prepared to knock out, and this was a past prime Schmeling.

I believe the Schmeling of Risko, Uzcudun I and Stribling would be too much for Joe of the Max Baer fight to decision (although Louis likely would conversely be too tough at his best for Schmeling to stop before the final bell). Max would be too smart, focused and cautious to leave a fatal opening, and Joe simply wouldn't have an answer for Schmeling's counter right this first time out. It's a styles thing to a certain extent, along with Max's brain power.
Joe Louis in the second fight with Max always reminded me of this quote by Jack Dempsey:

"All the time he's boxing, he's thinking. All the time he was thinking, I was hitting him"
Caelum is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Does anyone think that Joe could have beaten Max Schmelling first time,if he'd done his pre fight homework better ?
Blackburn tried to warn him that Schmeling would use his overhand right to counter his jab, so he could certainly have done a lot better.

Louis's loss was a combination of two factors.

He got careless on the day that he met the guy who threw him the curveball.

I don't know if he would have won with better preparation, but it is highly plausible.

In that scenario, we would be talking about how the old veteran took the invincible Joe Louis to the edge of disaster, before loosing heroicaly.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Louis would have won with better prep I think.

But someone else would have got him. The fact that it was Schmeling made his legend.
McGrain is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum