Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
caleb_forrest_g
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II, Penn vs. MacDonald Expected to Headline UFC 152 in Toron

The event currently planned for Sept. 22 in Canada was announced several months ago, but now it appears the UFC has targeted a main and a co-main event for the show.

UFC president Dana White confirmed following UFC on FX 3 that the promotion is hoping to lead the card with the heavyweight title rematch between champion Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez.

While nothing is a done deal at this point, White stated they are hopeful to have the heavyweight title fight head to Toronto in September.

The last time dos Santos and Velasquez met was in November 2011 with dos Santos coming out on top by knockout at just over one minute into the first round. Since that time, dos Santos defended his title against Frank Mir at UFC 146, while Velasquez came back strong from the defeat and put away former Strikeforce fighter Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva.

In addition to the heavyweights leading the way, the co-main event will feature the return of a future UFC Hall of Famer against one of Canada’s youngest and brightest rising stars.

Following a call out by Rory MacDonald just days ago, former lightweight and welterweight champion B.J. Penn accepted the challenge, and now it looks like the UFC is on board as well.

“Yeah, we’re going to do it,” White said about Penn vs. MacDonald. “Joe (Silva) is calling B.J. and his crew tonight to make sure that was the case, and then that fight’s going to happen.
caleb_forrest_g is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II, Penn vs. MacDonald Expected to Headline UFC 152 in T

Cain vs Santos 2 shouldn't happen yet. There's just no point in watching it right now (even if Cain were to win). Cain needs to be built up a little bit more. Most UFC fans have no idea what Strikeforce is, no idea who this Big Foot was, and obviously Big Foot didn't do himself any favors for people to care.
So, in most peoples eyes I don't think he redeemed himself. Big Foot was coming off a hellacious loss in Cormier anyway. To be fair the fight this time around might be something great, but that first fight definitely didn't produce anywhere near expectation.
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85
Default Re: Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II, Penn vs. MacDonald Expected to Headline UFC 152 in T

Why Cain/Santos II? The first was the quickest execution I've seen in MMA at least in a title fight. Is the hvy division that barren at the moment?

Will see his fight with Mir when I can though.
techks is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
Why Cain/Santos II? The first was the quickest execution I've seen in MMA at least in a title fight. Is the hvy division that barren at the moment?

Will see his fight with Mir when I can though.
because he's the only standout right now, he just butchered Giant Silva and Dos was his only loss and it was over so fast we really didn't get to see a fight. The other 2 top condenders Reem(drug susp) and cormier arn't available in the near future.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

They should have gone with Mark Hunt
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Altho on a 3 fight in streak he prob needs to beat a better guy then Kongo, maybe Roy Nelson next, that would be a good step up and better se where he's at.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

It is too soon, but its by far the best available match up

Gives Cain the chance for redemption, and Junior the chance to show that the first wasn't just a lucky shot
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
because he's the only standout right now, he just butchered Giant Silva and Dos was his only loss and it was over so fast we really didn't get to see a fight. The other 2 top condenders Reem(drug susp) and cormier arn't available in the near future.

Nah man they should throw JDS with Cormier or Hunt/somebody winner

Or just do Hunt VS Cain...

But I kinda agree with everyone else, the way the fight ended the last time, I don't know why they want to rush it.

Think about it for 2 min....if JDS wins again, in more or less the same fashion....I can guarantee you there is going to be a JDS VS Cain 3 in the making next year....
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Delroc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1233

the UFC wants Cain as champ bad, i see hes still in commercials and being pushed even after his KO loss. They already put a lot of effort into marketing him for it to go to waste.

it don't matter Cigano is gonna dust him off again anyway.
Delroc is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delroc View Post
the UFC wants Cain as champ bad, i see hes still in commercials and being pushed even after his KO loss. They already put a lot of effort into marketing him for it to go to waste.

Why do you think that? Hes got a that controversial Brown Pride tattoo, permanently scowling

Junior is clean cut, a genuine humble good guy, helps the children, extremely popular in Brazil and popular all over the world
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Villain champ = big bucks.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf View Post
Villain champ = big bucks.
Outside of his appearance, he is hardly a vilain.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Outside of his appearance, he is hardly a vilain.
I think hes right though. He looks like a mean bastard
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Mean eh...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Wouldnt be too hard to find you a "mean" lookin Cain if i could be arsed
Beouche is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum