Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #16
Prince.
24/7 365
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Can you tell a fighter's heavy-handed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpsilonAxis View Post
I've watched Khan train at Wildcard and if he's anything, he's ****ing fast. Faster than Manny easily.

Some guys you can tell by the commitment to the punch. Kelly Pavlik for example, his punches don't look that hard initially until you see that he's following through with that right hand, whether you're there or not. He commits to it which is where that power is from.
Slightly off-topic but Roy did say speed is power. We haven't really seen Khan sit on his punches throughout a fight. He did abit in the Marcos and Zab fight though. When do you think Khan's speed will diminish?
Prince. is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #17
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulakenyo View Post
Not that much of an expert, but I've seen some Danny Little Red Lopez fights, and some shots look average power at best, but really mess up his opponents.

And I remember first time watching Pacquiao, back in the mid 1990's on Philippine TV, some of his shots looked sloppy and arm punches, but his opponents would always wilt and quit. I honestly thought there must be something odd about the little dude's gloves or wraps.

Skin and bones little kid with a ****y aura.

Pac absolutely defies all laws of physics, b. I've watched him spar 'n wobble 'n flatten much bigger men with what look like arm punches. When I told him his punches looked arm punches, he agreed, with a giggle.

When I asked when he realized he could punch so hard, he said, "When they kept falling down"
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #18
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince. View Post
Slightly off-topic but Roy did say speed is power. We haven't really seen Khan sit on his punches throughout a fight. He did abit in the Marcos and Zab fight though. When do you think Khan's speed will diminish?
According to physics, yes. Problem is the follow through. I think many of the speed guys get 'ruined' in the amateurs because they are pulling punches to get ready for the next 'scoring' blow.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
bulakenyo
Am I a boxing fan yet?
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Pac absolutely defies all laws of physics, b. I've watched him spar 'n wobble 'n flatten much bigger men with what look like arm punches. When I told him his punches looked arm punches, he agreed, with a giggle.

When I asked when he realized he could punch so hard, he said, "When they kept falling down"
bulakenyo is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #20
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Back in the day, there was a light-heavy, Paul Andrews, that Cus D'Amato would never allow Floyd Patterson to spar.

Andrews' punches were slow as molasses 'n didn't look like that had any snap. But, could he CRACK!. Had some hight-light-reel KOs ' n dropped off the face of the Earth.

Met him many years later. He confessed he couldn't deal with the attention, 'n booze was the answer for many years.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #21
Mega Lamps
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Great post
Mega Lamps is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #22
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Its like seeing a home run hitter strike out, you can just tell that if they made contact they would of killed it. I think you can tell with hooks and upper-cuts if they're bombs or KO punches even if the miss
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #23
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince. View Post
I'm not sure if this is gonna help answer your question but Lamont Peterson (after the first fight with Khan) said in an interview that Khan's puches stung alot but he wasn't heavy handed. He also said that his punches weren't really connecting flush so he couldn't really comment about his power. He did say however that Khan was one of the fastest boxer's he'd faced in the pro ranks.
Guys with short arms and short big legs usually have a lot of power. Power is generated in the waist and legs and travels up to the tip of the first in a whipping motion. It's more like a baseball pitchers arm or football players arm sort of thing.

It's technique but it's also stuff like leg strength, foot size, fist size, guys who have bad hands typically have bad power, guys who have big hands and feet and huge legs like Mike Tyson or Manny Pacquiao or Trinidad typically have good power.

It's not so much the speed of the punch either but the total weight behind the punch. Michael Moorer didn't have fast punches but he was one of the most powerful punchers ever in terms of impact and how his punches felt. George Foreman and Wlad are similar to Moorer, they have massive power because of their body type not so much their speed.
Boxmaster is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #24
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
Its like seeing a home run hitter strike out, you can just tell that if they made contact they would of killed it. I think you can tell with hooks and upper-cuts if they're bombs or KO punches even if the miss

Off what you're saying, R, watching Juan Diaz throw his entire body into punches 'n grunting, would you have thought he was a big banger?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #25
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

He's like Roy Jones Jr. His power comes from his legs. It doesn't defy the laws of physics.

Roy punched from his legs, leaping into his punches and Pacquiao does the same thing and Sugar Ray Robinson did the same thing.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #26
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Bronco McKart in the post fight interview for the Pavlik fight said he just didn't see what all the fuss was about Pavlik until he started feeling the punches. In other words, Bronco couldn't tell Kelly had heavy hands from studying him pre-fight.
Listen to the sound of Pavlik's punches. He's like a Michael Moorer or Foreman type. Those types have thudding or thumping punches.

He should have watched Pavlik sparring or hitting the pads.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #27
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxmaster View Post
He's like Roy Jones Jr. His power comes from his legs. It doesn't defy the laws of physics.

Roy punched from his legs, leaping into his punches and Pacquiao does the same thing and Sugar Ray Robinson did the same thing.
If you watched Pac spar, defying gravity 'n physics hell-firing arm punches while still in the air, ya might have second thoughts, B.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #28
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If you watched Pac spar, defying gravity 'n physics hell-firing arm punches while still in the air, ya might have second thoughts, B.
I have watched him hit the heavy bag and spar. He leaps generating power from his legs leaping at his opponent.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #29
PugilisticPower
The Blonde Batman
ESB Addict

vCash: 108

One other thing that people don't mention much in the power example.

Speed + Mass = Power. Therefore why are some of the fastest fisted fighters not big punchers in the case of say Tim Bradley, Amir Khan (questionable) or Paulie Malignaggi

Because part of it is where the punch comes from, big punches tend to throw the punch from the butt, with a turn and twist and a straight line to the target - some quicker punches flick the arm out there rather than throw a full punch.

The other part of it is where the "target" is for the opponent. Those with longer reach tend to punch heavier because they're punching the back of the head - rather than the face. If you punch through your intended target, you tend to hit at the point of most power - which is where timing comes into play - it's about catching your opponent at the right point where you're still extending through your punch as you find an impact - rather than being at the limit of your punch when it hits.
PugilisticPower is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #30
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxmaster View Post
I have watched him hit the heavy bag and spar. He leaps generating power from his legs leaping at his opponent.
Perhaps, over the years, B, we were both at Wild Card on the ring apron on the same day watching Pac spar. We coulda compared notes.

Last edited by john garfield; 06-11-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum