Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #31
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Re: Can you tell a fighter's heavy-handed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Off what you're saying, R, watching Juan Diaz throw his entire body into punches 'n grunting, would you have thought he was a big banger?
Buster Mathis Jr vs Mike Tyson comes to mean, Mike misses an awful lot but you can feel the breeze in the third row lol
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #32
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqYttu4Vn44[/ame]
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #33
pejevan
inmate No. 1363917
East Side Guru

vCash: 1343

Quote:
Anyone look like he threw powder puffs 'n landed BOMBS, b?
george foreman.

. he does not even **** his arms far enough to actually have leveragge. it is like nhis punches are thrown half ****ed.
pejevan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #34
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Pac absolutely defies all laws of physics, b. I've watched him spar 'n wobble 'n flatten much bigger men with what look like arm punches. When I told him his punches looked arm punches, he agreed, with a giggle.

When I asked when he realized he could punch so hard, he said, "When they kept falling down"
Brilliant
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #35
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1945

Yes definately, look at Maidana throw a hook and miss then look at khan throw a hook and miss.
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #36
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

some fighters are tough to fathom.

Bradley for example looks physically very explosive and throws what looks to be extremely fast powerful shots, but doesnt seem to put many people away.
irishny is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #37
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishny View Post
some fighters are tough to fathom.

Bradley for example looks physically very explosive and throws what looks to be extremely fast powerful shots, but doesnt seem to put many people away.
Great example, i. One more reason why I'm convinced, after spending an eternity in the game, that all the chalk-board diagrams for punching power mean zip.

Ya can either punch or ya can't. No way ta turn a singles hitter into Bobby Bonds. Might as well spin flax ta gold.

Get a kick outta the exhaustive post mortems (much like Nazi skull measurements for aryan Supermen) for why Tyson, Foreman, Marciano, et al. hit so hard. If scientist/trainers had a Eureka moment, they haven't been able to turn Jekyle into Hyde.

Last edited by john garfield; 06-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #38
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
...just from his swing?

Any fighter look like he's throwin' lollypops surprise you?
Who was the hardest hitter you saw that never made it(or did well) as a pro John?
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Who was the hardest hitter you saw that never made it(or did well) as a pro John?
Lemme put my thinkin' cap on about this, P, 'n get back
Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #40
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

bump
Old 06-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #41
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Lemme put my thinkin' cap on about this, P, 'n get back
I'm guessing there must be a few contenders for this one John.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #42
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Great example, i. One more reason why I'm convinced, after spending an eternity in the game, that all the chalk-board diagrams for punching power mean zip.

Ya can either punch or ya can't. No way ta turn a singles hitter into Bobby Bonds. Might as well spin flax ta gold.

Get a kick outta the exhaustive post mortems (much like Nazi skull measurements for aryan Supermen) for why Tyson, Foreman, Marciano, et al. hit so hard. If scientist/trainers had a Eureka moment, they haven't been able to turn Jekyle into Hyde.
It's to do with coordination, the stiffness of tendons, the length of levers and fundamental skills grounding.
It's often a slippery slope when a boxer starts out, he might punch using his muscles in the correct order and maximising energy transfer but he may be stronger in some areas and his contribution from different parts of his body might be backwards compared to the ideal. I say it's a slippery slope because most boxers/boxing trainers are absolutely clueless about strength and conditioning/biomechanics and the result of this is guys who use their contributions in the correct proportions are seen as 'punchers' from the get go while the guys with imbalances never correct their motor patterns and relative strength at their different levers leaving them feather fisted.
Bradley weighs 147 but he's very top heavy, you know you don't punch with your arms.
The reason why it's so hard to turn someone into a power puncher is because their motor patterns that aren't optimal are continuously ingrained by repetition over the years. Boxing coaches aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and boxers aren't typically in tune with their bodies the way other athletes are.
It's hard to change someone into a puncher but it's not impossible, there's no divine intervention when you're born and it's that sort of attitude that guarantees boxers don't evolve. Everything is trainable and I mean everything. So many coaches still believe the things that make up mental toughness are a quality you're born with, that's another thing that has been shown to be very trainable by sports psychologists.
Boxing is playing catch up, I don't think there's any other sport that still has such widespread beliefs about things you're 'born with'. 'Born with' is old school nonsense.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #43
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
It's to do with coordination, the stiffness of tendons, the length of levers and fundamental skills grounding.
It's often a slippery slope when a boxer starts out, he might punch using his muscles in the correct order and maximising energy transfer but he may be stronger in some areas and his contribution from different parts of his body might be backwards compared to the ideal. I say it's a slippery slope because most boxers/boxing trainers are absolutely clueless about strength and conditioning/biomechanics and the result of this is guys who use their contributions in the correct proportions are seen as 'punchers' from the get go while the guys with imbalances never correct their motor patterns and relative strength at their different levers leaving them feather fisted.
Bradley weighs 147 but he's very top heavy, you know you don't punch with your arms.
The reason why it's so hard to turn someone into a power puncher is because their motor patterns that aren't optimal are continuously ingrained by repetition over the years. Boxing coaches aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and boxers aren't typically in tune with their bodies the way other athletes are.
It's hard to change someone into a puncher but it's not impossible, there's no divine intervention when you're born and it's that sort of attitude that guarantees boxers don't evolve. Everything is trainable and I mean everything. So many coaches still believe the things that make up mental toughness are a quality you're born with, that's another thing that has been shown to be very trainable by sports psychologists.
Boxing is playing catch up, I don't think there's any other sport that still has such widespread beliefs about things you're 'born with'. 'Born with' is old school nonsense.
No you are wrong, have you ever boxed? From my experience power is something you have or dont period, sure you can improve it but do you really think amir khan or malignaggi could ever punch like maidana or gatti? No they couldnt because there not built or born like that its ****ing simple!
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #44
Outboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I always thought that George Foreman didn't look anywhere near as powerful as he actually was. He definitely had the size and intimidation factor, but when he threw punches they seemed slow and wide. There was no explosiveness there, like you see with the right hand of Hearns or Pac's left. Even so, when Foreman swung, people just fell over. He had a kind of clubbing, ugly power, which was even evident when he knocked out Moorer.

I was watching one of Pac's older fights, back when he fought Julio, and one thing I noticed was the sound his punches made when they connected. Every time he landed there was a loud, audible THUNK, as if he was chopping wood. Pretty nasty.
Outboxer is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #45
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejevan View Post
george foreman.

. he does not even **** his arms far enough to actually have leveragge. it is like nhis punches are thrown half ****ed.
And his punches were way slower than most KO artist. You looked at his punches, than look at the effect and it's really hard to understand what just happened. Very unusual power. If I didn't know Foreman and watched one of his fight I would not expect him to hit that hard, so there's my answer.
Brownies is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum