Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #16
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: John Ruiz vs. Floyd Patterson

I seriously believe Ruiz would do his hardest not to fight and get the ref to disqualify Patterson. There's no way he's ever beating Floyd in a true boxing contest. Ruiz would need Sonny Liston in his corner to put a little fear into Floyd in order to win this fight.

Ruiz wouldn't know what him off the breaks and in the clinches. He'd complain to ref more than throwing any punches of worth. Soon as Floyd gets the upper hand which is probably early in the fight, than we'd see the tippy-toe ballet dancin' Ruiz rise up and take body shots only to fake his way to the ground as if being hit with low blows.

Ugly fight, but Floyd wins a clear UD or knocks Ruiz out around 8 or 9. Hands too fast. Floyd likely loses by disqualification on a fake foul.
round15 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #17
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I seem to remember a certain heavyweight out of Galveston who clinched every bit as often. And I would pick Ruiz over that guy, too. Just too big, too modern, too athletic.
There's a big difference between tying up the opponents arms to land your own punches off the counters and holding excessively while complaining to the ref.

Ruiz is notorious for holding, whining, faking and complaining. I can't remember the Galveston Giant complaining or faking in nearly every fight of his career and looking to be saved by the ref in every clinch?

The Galveston Giant often smiled and talked to the ref and ringside press, but rarely complained.

You serious Seamus? I'm surprised that you'd confuse a classic fighter with a modern day whiner.

Six dollar response?
round15 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #18
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
watch roy jones jr fight him, then think who had the better chin, but if ruiz actually took this to the gutter i see a ko for ruiz.
Quote:
The Quiet Man is so incredibly underrated. Strong, durable, cunning and clever... and a decent right hand to go along with a good inside game.

I think he beats every champ up to Louis, wins 1 out of 3 against Louis, and continues to beat every champ up to Liston... and that includes Patterson.
Quote:
I seem to remember a certain heavyweight out of Galveston who clinched every bit as often. And I would pick Ruiz over that guy, too. Just too big, too modern, too athletic.
So, Roy Jones beats Ruiz because of his speed but Patterson who has similar speed, more power, a better chin, better technique, better defence, was busier and threw more combinations doesnŽt. Incredible.

I agree with Seamus though that Ruiz is underrated, heŽd be a handful for most hw champs in history and in fact I think would adapt better to past times than someone like Lewis or Wlad. But Patterson is a very bad match-up for him.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #19
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Ruiz walks into a left hook and it'd be all over.

That's the thing with Ruiz I don't like stylewise anyway--the fact he walks in to do anything. The 2 step walk in. I sure don't think it's an oversight he didn't face the division's big hitters and I think Floyd's hand speed catches him coming in as well.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Patterson by knockout. Ruiz has no defence against speed like that, none.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Ruis was better fighter than Ingemar Johannson.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
Ruis was better fighter than Ingemar Johannson.
Definitely a better whiner, don't know about fighter. I'd pick Johannson to KO Ruiz well inside the 12 round distance.

The only way I see Ruiz winning against either Patterson or Johannson is by disqualification. Who knows. Maybe enough whining and complaining might get him a few extra points on the scorecards but nothing else.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ruiz out-intangibles him.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

You are talking about a guy, who was literally running from his opponent during the Olympics final, coming up with a lot of excuses and silly explanations for his actions.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You're talking about a guy who would rather complain to the ref or be saved by the ref and fake low blows. The quiet man is certainly louder with his mouth than his fists.

Flip a coin?
round15 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #26
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Stoney is the big X factor here and the reason Ruiz takes it.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #27
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

If an almost washed up Roy Jones and the dude that ate James Toney can blitz Ruiz with speed, then Patterson can as well.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #28
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
So, Roy Jones beats Ruiz because of his speed but Patterson who has similar speed, more power, a better chin, better technique, better defence, was busier and threw more combinations doesnŽt. Incredible.

I agree with Seamus though that Ruiz is underrated, heŽd be a handful for most hw champs in history and in fact I think would adapt better to past times than someone like Lewis or Wlad. But Patterson is a very bad match-up for him.
Excellent passage there, bodhi....I might add that the almost invisible-it-was-so-fast right hand that Floyd decked Jerry Quarry with in their 1st bout would have similarly but the Quiet Man on his ass..and any of the shots that decked and ko'ed Ingo and Henry Cooper, among others would have likewise put Ruiz to sleep...bull**** on that hugging ****..that wouldn't have stopped Floyd.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
Mr. Minmon
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Patterson stops him, the speed and power would eventually prove to be too much...
Mr. Minmon is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
Jon Saxon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post

Sorry man but Jones was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster an had a far better defence.
The speed is the key here as a result Jones would have toyed with Floyd.
Jon Saxon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum