Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Gooners2
Archie Solis
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Who had a better chin, Calzaghe or Froch?

Who had a better chin, Calzaghe or Froch?
Gooners2 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1176
Default Re: Who had a better chin, Calzaghe or Froch?

Froch ... both have good chins though and have each only been put down a couple of time's, Froch is more willing to put his out though if it means getting his own shots off, Calzaghe just used his superior skillset to avoid punishment.
lordgore is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
benashley
Journeyman

Froch by a reasonable margin I think, as lordgore said Carl relies on his chin to tee of his own shots where as Calzaghe was more cautious, then again who isn't compared to Carl!
benashley is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

About equal.

Don't be conned into thinking that Froch is some kind of super human, undentable object. He ain't.

A very, very hard man, but a notch below Clinton Woods and Chris Eubank for me.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
nick6
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
About equal.

Don't be conned into thinking that Froch is some kind of super human, undentable object. He ain't.

A very, very hard man, but a notch below Clinton Woods and Chris Eubank for me.
I would agree with the last part but only just all 4 guys are freaks when it comes to being able to withstand punishment
nick6 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
connorcinhull
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 148088

Frochmeister, and its not that close. Froch uses his head as a tool for distraction to get off his own shots. Dude is a beast.
connorcinhull is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
efc85
non entity
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2770

Hard to say, neither have been stopped, just because carl gets nailed more doesnt make his chin better
efc85 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1500

froch by MD
ashishwarrior is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Peter__1987

vCash:

Froch
Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Both have/had iron chins, not much between them.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6 View Post
I would agree with the last part but only just all 4 guys are freaks when it comes to being able to withstand punishment
I'd agree. All four are tough men.

Grade A+ - Eubank, Woods

Grade A - Froch, Calzaghe

Grade B - Hatton, Benn

etc
Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I wouldn't say Froch gets hit much more than Calzaghe either.

He's just faced a superior armoury of punchers in his career.... Calzaghe used to eat right hands for breakfast and loved a tear up.

The biggest class difference between the two is their inside fighting ability. If anyone thinks Froch would have a chance in a fight against Joe they're kidding themselves.

Froch would have much more chance in a boxing match.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Jenna....oh, sorry, I thought it said biggest
icemax is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
Serge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Both have excellent chins. Of course seeing as this place is pretty much a Calzaghe hate site these days, most will pick Froch. I'm actually tying to do a highlight compilation video on Calzaghe's chin at the moment and I must say looking back it's remarkable how he was able to walk through so many huge, full-blooded flush bombs from proven punchers like Eubank, Reid, Kessler, Bika, Brewer, Jones etc. all of whom caught him with thunderous shots that would've KO'd a lot of fighters let alone dropped them. Even some of his lesser quality opponents but still big hitters caught him with huge shots that he brushed off like they were nothing. He also fought some big punchers in the amateurs and was never off his feet too.

And if you watch the Eubank and Hopkins fights he gets caught with some really vicious, hard headbutts (cheating cunt Hopkins), and accidental head clashes against Eubank (the top of Eubank's dome crashes into his face hard on numerous occasions in that fight) and he just brushes it off and ignores it and jumps right back into the fray like nothing happened. He doesn't even complain to the ref.

Here take a look. Watch how many flush bombs Joe walks into and shrugs off like they were nothing too.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I56_7QUmyoA[/ame]

In fact, the only fights where he did complain to the ref about headbutts were the Salem and Bika fights, both of whom, especially the former, stuck the nut in hard and repeatedly throughout. Actually that's why Salem was able to drop him. He'd butted and fouled Joe numerous times in the first four rounds and Joe was absolutely lived with him (think he even shouted at the ref if memory serves me well) and ended up getting dropped by a big right hand when he rushed in trying to exact revenge. Salem was one of the dirtiest fighters I've seen and he actually killed one of his opponents and many attribute that to the numerous vicious headbutts he hit him with throughout the fight. In one of his other fights he even broke the ref's nose with one of his trademark butts. lol.

Make no mistake about it Joe was a very durable and tough man indeed and anyone who tries to argue to the contrary either has an agenda or is a clueless ****witt.

His chin in the Reid fight was absolutely insane (a fight by the way that occurred at a time in his career where he was going through an absolutely terrible phase of injuries, which is something that many conveniently forget to mention). They were so bad he wasn't even able to spar/spar properly for over a year). Joe suffered a bad injury to his left hand (his power hand) in the 4th or 5th round too and it had a drastic reduction on the number of power shots he was able to throw with it (go watch the Eubank fight and compare how many booming left hands he threw in that to the scant amount he threw against Reid if you don't believe me) and subsequently he found it very difficult to keep Reid off of him and he ended up getting caught repeatedly by thunderous right hands by Reid, some of which would've unquestionably sparked anyone who wasn't the possessor of a granite jaw.

Here's a selection of some of them (I haven't edited this yet by the way and some of them are the same bits of footage).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM28o6o8swE[/ame]

People hold the Knockdowns he suffered against Jones and Hopkins against him but if you analyze both of them it's plain to see that the Hopkins' one was just a timing shot delivered from a heavier opponent (Hopkins refused to step on the scales for the pre-fight weigh in), who'd obviously been working on that move over and over again in the gym, that made his legs dip followed by an ever so unintentional shove by Hopkins to make sure he went over. He wasn't hurt by it, just as he hadn't been by the Salem KD. And despite what the legions of haters will try and have you believe, the Jones one wasn't even actually a legitimate KD. It was a close-line forearm to the face, bone against bone, and no part of the hand actually connected with his face.

For those of you who dispute that.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The Mitchell KD was obviously definitely legitimate though and Joe was badly hurt by that. Mitchell looked like a ****ing cruiserweight compared to Joe and it was a huge shot that caught him as he was in the middle of loading up on his own shot. Joe's powers of recovery were immense though and I think that even his most sternest critics would admit that the way he responded to being dropped for the first time in his life was pretty special.

Last edited by Serge; 06-12-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Serge is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Hands of Paper
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 445

I rate their chins as pretty equal. Zaghe took some insane shots in some of his fights and withstood them.

Sadly though, the way Froch fights. I fear it will have a detrimental effect on his health in later years.
Hands of Paper is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum