Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: What do you make of this teammates not fighting teammates bullshit?

Itīs weird....
But in some cases itīs okay......the Bellator final will be between Marcos Loro and Dudu Dantas IIRC......both train in Nova....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1218

This is a perfect question in that depending upon the answer given you can tell if someone has any significant training in combat sports or not.

My answer: No, I would never fight a team member and I wouldn't ask/force someone else to fight one of theirs either.

The fan side of me just wants to see amazing fights and sure some are not happening because they're team mates but as someone who is a long-time martial arts practicioner, I can certainly understand 100% why they don't/won't/can't.
James23 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I actually fought a guy who later became my friend. For some reason I feel I could fight him again right now even thought we are friends, because for some reason it doesn't bug me.. I don't understand why, but that's the way I feel.. Kinda strange eh?

I mean otherwise I feel very strongly about not fighting friends..
Koa is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Only a soul bitch would sell out and really fight his friend for money. BUT, if both parties are willing, then its cool.

If they are truly friends and either guy doesn't want to fight and the other guy pressures it, or pushes it, that is also a bitch move in my book.

It's one thing to test yourself against someone who really knows your style who is trying to help you with flaws. It's another thing to get to know someone's style, to train with someone and build a the sort of friendship and comradery that men build when they train together, it's similar whether you train or go to war. To me, that's some Benedict Arnold shit, turning your back on someone you REALLY considered a friend and forcing the issue when you know the only thing the guy can do to save face and not look like a bitch is to accept, after you have shown your now to be opponent your style. How the **** are you supposed to open yourself up to people and really learn if at the same time your coaches and team mates are diagnosing your flaws and supposed to help you fix them? Isn't that an obvious conflict of interest? It would be like watching Shogun fight Wanderlei, ****ing heart breaking.

If any of my friends called me out, I'd give them a chance to take it back, because once that line is crossed things are never the same again. In life, you are lucky to have a couple real friends, throwing it away from money is tempting, but it's not the right reason unless you are the type of person who can let that sort of shit go. But like I said, if both parties are the sort to let it flow like water under the bridge, then it's fine. While I don't like Rashad Evans as a fighter, I also think it was a bitch move by John Jones to push for that fight if things are the way Rashad said they were.

Personally, I can't.
Kerr and Coleman had no problem IF they had met in the 2000 PRIDE GP
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Erikson vs Randleman.....same team.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efwwhAZy1hg[/ame]
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Erikson vs Randleman.....same team.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Hammerhouse. Happens all the time. More is made of this than is actually the case. After all these guys know its a business.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Its like asking if you would fight your friend just cuz someone give you some money to do so
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

i would do a lot worse things than fight my friend for a sum of cash, ****ing hate when i hear of two guys not fighting because of friendship, stinks of *****
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
i would do a lot worse things than fight my friend for a sum of cash, ****ing hate when i hear of two guys not fighting because of friendship, stinks of *****
Haha, you just described a mercenary. You know what Mercenaries lack right?
Koa is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #25
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
This is what I make of this...

After watching years of MMA, I think I've come to realised this isn't a 1 on 1 sport. Most of the time it's the entire team against the other entire team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
so I get the frustration, but think about it for 2 second...Cain and Cormier are fighting each other...who train where and with whom ??

You are really going to ask 1 of the 2 guys to go train somewhere else with unknown people ? Or if they train together for there fight against each other it's going to end up like Jones/Rashad ....some kind of fake-hype sparring match...

Who gets the edge in the matchup then ? Obivously the guy that stick to the orignal training camp... !
And this is a huge part of the problem. There are always going to be supercamps with a half-dozen or so top-level fighters. And if two guys like to roll with each other or spar with each other, it helps if they're similar sizes. If they get on well on a personal level, two years of training later they are close friends, and it's tough to try to knock a close friend out. So you understand that.

But on the other hand, they are professional fighters and their job is to fight whoever is in front of them. At the top levels of the sport, you'd hope that fighters would anticipate this and try to avoid getting too close. It's great for a young guy to have a mentor, but what happens when the mentor is a dominant champion? When he becomes a top contender, is the kid expected to put his career on hold and wait through five or six title defences over three years because when he was 20 he started training at the same camp as the future champion?

It just sucks, because Cain vs Cormier is such a great fight, and GSP-MacDonald had potential to be an epic as well.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
benebox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

No, I dont think anyone should be made to fight anyone unless they are the champion and the number 1 contender wants to fight. Then they have the option to fight or lose thier belt.
benebox is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #27
kokoko
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Cain and Cormier might fight.

Cain said in an interview that when the time came, they would sit down and talk about it.

He also said it would be crazy because he would be fighting his coach.
kokoko is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #28
kokoko
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
How big of a problem is it, and what do you think of it?

Personally, I think that once you get to title-bout level, it's bullshit. I can understand when fighters are very close, but I don't like the idea of a contender having two or three other top guys in his division who he refuses to fight because they're friends. Or is this unreasonable?

I don't think that it's that big of an issue at the moment. How many times has it come up? Just a handful of times compared to how many fights the UFC puts on. The biggest one, was Jones and Evans, and they said ended up fighting.
kokoko is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #29
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

And this is a huge part of the problem. There are always going to be supercamps with a half-dozen or so top-level fighters. And if two guys like to roll with each other or spar with each other, it helps if they're similar sizes. If they get on well on a personal level, two years of training later they are close friends, and it's tough to try to knock a close friend out. So you understand that.

But on the other hand, they are professional fighters and their job is to fight whoever is in front of them. At the top levels of the sport, you'd hope that fighters would anticipate this and try to avoid getting too close. It's great for a young guy to have a mentor, but what happens when the mentor is a dominant champion? When he becomes a top contender, is the kid expected to put his career on hold and wait through five or six title defences over three years because when he was 20 he started training at the same camp as the future champion?

It just sucks, because Cain vs Cormier is such a great fight, and GSP-MacDonald had potential to be an epic as well.

Shit happens man...

You have good guy like GSP that wouldn't fight people he is training with for the past 5 years...

And you have asshole like Jon Jones that don't care about anything except big screen TV, car and bitches !!
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Once you have trained with somebody , sweat blood and tears , sparred , been battered by , dished out beatings , travelled the country in some cases the world to be in there corner ................ you kinda have a respect for them that only team mates in this sport can have for each other , its a brother hood

Then on the other hand you have team mates that don't like each other , more prominent in the bigger camps like Jackson or ATT i would imagine

Two tales , two different scenario's , if you love and respect your team mate like a Brother then don't fight the guy , if you don't mind him but don't share that love , as long as he will train in a different camp from you whats the problem ????

Its not like this problem has stopped multiple UFC title fight showdowns is it , i can only think of once or twice its actually happened anyway
thewinfella is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum