Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
uranage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Senator Harry Reid wants investigation in Pac/Bradley

Bradley to appear at Cathedral City's celebration

While Timothy Bradley will be honored in the Coachella Valley this weekend, his controversial victory prompted comment from a prominent politician in Washington on Tuesday.

Cathedral City will honor the WBO welterweight champion with a celebration Saturday. The rally will take place from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Town Square in front of City Hall.

Bradley, a Cathedral City resident and graduate of Cathedral City High School, will address fans at the event, which is free for the public to attend.

Bradley posted a message on Twitter and Facebook on Tuesday to thank fans for their support in his split-decision victory over Manny Pacquiao on Saturday in Las Vegas.

“I would like to thank all my friends, family, and supporters,” Bradley wrote on Facebook. “I finally had a chance to watch the fight last night and after watching it I felt just like I did the night of the fight ... I won the fight! Pacquiao is a great man and a great fighter and he will have a chance to get his title back and at the same time I will be able to get a more definitive win.”

On Monday, Bradley had an MRI on his injured left foot, which he injured in the second round Saturday. The MRI didn't reveal any fractures in the foot, but there are some pulled ligaments, manager Cameron Dunkin said.

Bradley will be off his feet, which includes a twisted right ankle, for eight weeks.

Dunkin said the fighter has had a difficult time ignoring the media backlash from the decision.

“He's trying,” he said. “It's hard, though. He's a nice kid, and he takes a whole lot of this personal, and they're pretty vicious out there. It's been pretty hard on him.”

The outcry continued Tuesday. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) supported calls for an investigation into the judging of Saturday's fight, although he said he believed nothing “untoward” occurred.

Bob Arum, the CEO of Top Rank Promotions, formally requested Monday that Nevada Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto look into the outcome.

“Remember this fight involved hundreds of millions of dollars,” Reid told reporters in Washington. “As I said, I am confident there was nothing untoward. I think people just make bad decisions in a lot of things they do — including judging fights — but it doesn't hurt to clear the air and take a look at this.”

In 2010, Pacquiao endorsed Reid at a rally four days before the senator won re-election over Republican challenger Sharron Angle. Reid and Arum also are close friends.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
uranage is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Foxy 01
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Senator Harry Reid wants investigation in Pac/Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranage View Post
Bradley to appear at Cathedral City's celebration

While Timothy Bradley will be honored in the Coachella Valley this weekend, his controversial victory prompted comment from a prominent politician in Washington on Tuesday.

Cathedral City will honor the WBO welterweight champion with a celebration Saturday. The rally will take place from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Town Square in front of City Hall.

Bradley, a Cathedral City resident and graduate of Cathedral City High School, will address fans at the event, which is free for the public to attend.

Bradley posted a message on Twitter and Facebook on Tuesday to thank fans for their support in his split-decision victory over Manny Pacquiao on Saturday in Las Vegas.

“I would like to thank all my friends, family, and supporters,” Bradley wrote on Facebook. “I finally had a chance to watch the fight last night and after watching it I felt just like I did the night of the fight ... I won the fight! Pacquiao is a great man and a great fighter and he will have a chance to get his title back and at the same time I will be able to get a more definitive win.”

On Monday, Bradley had an MRI on his injured left foot, which he injured in the second round Saturday. The MRI didn't reveal any fractures in the foot, but there are some pulled ligaments, manager Cameron Dunkin said.

Bradley will be off his feet, which includes a twisted right ankle, for eight weeks.

Dunkin said the fighter has had a difficult time ignoring the media backlash from the decision.

“He's trying,” he said. “It's hard, though. He's a nice kid, and he takes a whole lot of this personal, and they're pretty vicious out there. It's been pretty hard on him.”

The outcry continued Tuesday. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) supported calls for an investigation into the judging of Saturday's fight, although he said he believed nothing “untoward” occurred.

Bob Arum, the CEO of Top Rank Promotions, formally requested Monday that Nevada Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto look into the outcome.

“Remember this fight involved hundreds of millions of dollars,” Reid told reporters in Washington. “As I said, I am confident there was nothing untoward. I think people just make bad decisions in a lot of things they do — including judging fights — but it doesn't hurt to clear the air and take a look at this.”

In 2010, Pacquiao endorsed Reid at a rally four days before the senator won re-election over Republican challenger Sharron Angle. Reid and Arum also are close friends.

That tells everyone all they need to know.
Foxy 01 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 750

Now we know why they want to put the FBI in boxing. Honestly we need to keep this at the state level and keep the feds out of it.
Boxmaster is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 5200

Just 2 guys fighting, Not really a big deal.
(Now the Gamblers... That's a problem)
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
zangetsu
Getsuga Tenshou
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Brace yourself. Elections are coming.
zangetsu is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Capitan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

[quote=Boxmaster;13091463]Now we know why they want to put

Reid is one to talk...why doesnt the Feds investigate his "Land Deals"!!!
Capitan is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
KO Boxing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy 01 View Post
That tells everyone all they need to know.
KO Boxing is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
AFBlues
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Reid disputes decision in Pacquiao fight, pushes for stalled boxing legislation

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is using boxer Manny Pacquiao's controversial defeat over the weekend to push for long-stalled legislation to more strictly regulate the sport.

The Nevada Democrat, who knows Pacquiao and has enjoyed the famous boxer's political support in the past, was asked about Pacquiao's loss Saturday to Timothy Bradley and disputed the judges' decision.
"And from all the reports that I've seen by people on the outside who saw the fight, who attempted to be fair and judge the fight, Pacquiao won the fight," said Reid, himself a former amateur boxer and chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission.

From there, he suggested Congress should again take up a boxing regulatory bill he and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., have been pushing for the past decade.

"Senator McCain and I have been trying for years -- years -- to get a national boxing bill passed here," he said. "We have not been able to do it. Maybe this will be the impetus (for McCain and I to) get back, work on that again. I haven't had the chance to talk to him in the last 24 hours, but I will."

A McCain spokesman later told the Las Vegas Sun that the senator is considering introducing the bill again, and considers the Pacquiao-Bradley decision a "black mark" on boxing's reputation.

The bill in question would establish a National Boxing Commission to regulate the sport with health and safety standards. The first version of the bill set licensing standards for boxers, judges and referees and registration standards for promoters, trainers and others.
Reid also said he's comfortable with the state attorney general investigating last weekend's decision.

"Our attorney general is a wonderful woman. She'll do her best. I feel confident there's been nothing untoward, but if an investigation makes everyone feel better, do the investigation. I don't care about that at all," Reid said. "I think people just make bad decisions in a lot of things they do, including judging fights. But it doesn't hurt to clear the air and take a look at this."
AFBlues is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
larryx2012
I AM BETTER THEN YOU
East Side Guru

vCash: 571251
Default Re: Reid disputes decision in Pacquiao fight, pushes for stalled boxing legislation

where was he for the Abril-Rios fight???does he give a damn bout boxing or is he here just for Manny?
larryx2012 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Reid disputes decision in Pacquiao fight, pushes for stalled boxing legislation

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryx2012 View Post
where was he for the Abril-Rios fight???does he give a damn bout boxing or is he here just for Manny?
how the hell would they know who abril is? pac is the face of boxing and because of what happened, the congress would push for some reforms to save and clean the sport. pac one ups floyd testing crusade.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
CoDer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
how the hell would they know who abril is? pac is the face of boxing and because of what happened, the congress would push for some reforms to save and clean the sport. pac one ups floyd testing crusade.
Plus Pacman is a Congressman of the Philippines, thereby automatically upping the diplomatic ties. And that he has close ties with Reid.

Oh boy people are going to be pissed!
CoDer is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 5200

Reid should stick to them dicks & balls he is used too.
Go "Senate" some shit or whatever you useless bastards do.
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
AFBlues
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Sen. Reid joins call for probe of Pacquiao-Bradley decision

Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) jumped on the bandwagon of those calling for a probe of the scoring of the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley title fight on Saturday night.

Bradley was awarded a split decision victory in a fight that most observers thought was a lopsided victory for Pacquiao, who landed nearly 100 more punches than Bradley.

"I feel confident there has been nothing untoward but if an investigation makes everyone feel better, do the investigation," Reid, the Senate majority leader, told reporters at his weekly press conference. It was first reported in the Las Vegas Journal-Review.

The Attorney General's office confirmed on Tuesday that Bob Arum and Top Rank submitted a complaint about the decision. Arum promoted the fight, and represents both fighters.

"We are treating this complaint like any other complaint our office receives," Jennifer Lopez, a spokesperson for the Nevada Attorney General's office, told USA TODAY Sports. "We will review the information submitted and take appropriate action if necessary."

Reid, 72, is a former boxer who once served on the Nevada Athletic Commission and has judged fights. He is often ringside at big fights in Las Vegas, but skipped this one because of his wife's birthday.

"From all the reports I've seen by people on the outside who saw the fight, who attempted to be fair and judge the fight, Pacquiao won the fight. Now, I understand how upset everybody is," said Reid, who is a friend of Arum's and was endorsed by Pacquiao before winning re-election in 2010.

"Remember this fight involved hundreds of millions of dollars, As I said I am confident there was nothing untoward. I think people just make bad decisions in a lot of things they do including judging fights. But it doesn't hurt to clear the air and take a look at this."
AFBlues is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
c5terror
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Did they endorsed reid in his campaign? No! Manny Did but hey like what the article says, they were pushing the bill in the past year but wasn't successful
c5terror is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing but they have to start somewhere .He must of paid for the PPV . The problem now is that it has effected the casual fan so now something needs to be done .

Dam shame that it took Pacquio to get robbed in order for people to start paying attention .But then again you had stupid people like Steve Kim of Mxboxing endorsing the robbery (Abril/Rios)as well as Dan Rafeal and some boxing fans .There needs to be consistency .

I mean it takes Stephen A Smith to say boycott PPV’s yet boxing die hard fans have been saying this for yrs .People should have know this was coming .But yet they still supported !
Imperial1 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum