Corruption 13 59.09%
None of the above. Bradley won stgraight up. 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Moses Hightower
We're related.
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Pac-Bradley: which of these theories do you believe?

I got this from a RingTV article...

POSSIBILE EXPLANATION I

Aggressor rewarded
: Simple incompetence is one possible explanation for what occurred on Saturday. There’s a lot of that going around lately. However, the fact all three judges had it close is an indication that there were other factors. Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated pointed out correctly that Nevada has a tradition of rewarding aggression. And if CompuBox numbers are accurate – Bradley threw more punches than Pacquiao (839-751) – then one could argue that Bradley was more aggressive (or at least more active) than Pacquiao. That’s not a big disparity, though. And a basic tenet of judging, even in Nevada, is that simple aggression isn’t good enough; a fighter must use effective aggression to win rounds. My eyes told me that Pacquiao dominated in that department. The numbers back me up.
Illustrated pointed out correctly that Nevada has a tradition of rewarding aggression. And if CompuBox numbers are accurate – Bradley threw more punches than Pacquiao (839-751) – then one could argue that Bradley was more aggressive (or at least more active) than Pacquiao. That’s not a big disparity, though. And a basic tenet of judging, even in Nevada, is that simple aggression isn’t good enough; a fighter must use effective aggression to win rounds. My eyes told me that Pacquiao dominated in that department. The numbers back me up.

POSSIBILITY II

Payback: Many believe that Pacquiao has been on the desirable end of bad decisions, particularly in his three fights against Juan Manuel Marquez. That includes their third meeting in November, which Pacquiao won by a controversial majority decision. Could the judges have inadvertently leaned too far in Bradley’s direction in an effort to be fair? “Maybe they were making up for the Marquez fight,” said Freddie Roach, Pacquiao’s trainer. This scenario reminds me of the Oscar De La Hoya-Felix Trinidad fight. De La Hoya also had received decisions that some believed were generous before he was cheated against Trinidad. I always wondered whether the judges in that fight, determined not to favor De La Hoya, leaned too far in the other direction and came up with the wrong scores as a result.

POSSIBILITY III

Corruption: Some observers seem to be suggesting that promoter Bob Arum somehow rigged the decision, perhaps because he doesn’t want Pacquiao to fight Mayweather. I don’t believe that for a second. I might sometimes question the wisdom of Keith Kizer, Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, in terms of selecting judges but I believe he has integrity. I don’t believe corrupt judges would make it to the ring under his watch. No, I think this is a matter of incompetent judges. That said, I would welcome the investigation into the scoring that Arum is demanding. God knows something needs to be done about this never-ending judging nightmare.
Moses Hightower is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Moses Hightower
We're related.
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Pac-Bradley: which of these theories do you believe?

I went with "payback". I think the judges were going above and beyond trying to be fair - and avoid being accused of favoring Pacquiao. I don't buy into the corruption theory. Arum has absolutely nothing to gain by having his fighter lose.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Corruption, without any doubt. Arum needed a big fight in the future and he's now got an easy to sell rematch. There is now a rematch, a potential rubber match and then a fight with Marquez on the horizon.

Arum guaranteed himself a lot of money.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
floyd_g.o.a.t
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I don't think Arum has any intention of a rematch.
floyd_g.o.a.t is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3000

The fight looks different from ringside?
PAC didn't perform the normal "Pacstyle" hence the judges were more focused on what Timmy was doing & or wht PAC wasn't.
(Blame the press for portraying PAC as a GOD)
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
king khan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 185

I don't think it's outright corruption. . . I don't think the judges are paid off like that. . I don't think Arum secretly contacts them via third parties, with money in briefcases, telling them to "score the fight for Bradley."

I however, do believe that the judges "know" what Arum wants, and they know if they want to keep working fights for him, they'll do what they think he wants. . ALSO, they get perks like luxury hotel suites, food budgets, etc that come along with getting to work the big fights. . . I think they knew Arum was looking for a guy who could replace pacquiao as his PPV guy. . . Since Pacquiao is on his way out, and Bradley just signed a big contract with Arum, they wanted to help Arum get a leg up with his new guy. . So when pac retires, he has "the guy who beat Pacquiao."

Also, I think pac's comments about gay people, and him delaying the fight (I think judges got word of this), made them even more eager to "score rounds for Bradley"

This is just my opinion. . I think Arum has ways to hint to the judges what he would like; what woudl be the most favorable outcome for him. . And in turn, they try their best to make it happen.
king khan is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Moses Hightower
We're related.
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king khan View Post
I don't think it's outright corruption. . . I don't think the judges are paid off like that. . I don't think Arum secretly contacts them via third parties, with money in briefcases, telling them to "score the fight for Bradley."

I however, do believe that the judges "know" what Arum wants, and they know if they want to keep working fights for him, they'll do what they think he wants. . ALSO, they get perks like luxury hotel suites, food budgets, etc that come along with getting to work the big fights. . . I think they knew Arum was looking for a guy who could replace pacquiao as his PPV guy. . . Since Pacquiao is on his way out, and Bradley just signed a big contract with Arum, they wanted to help Arum get a leg up with his new guy. . So when pac retires, he has "the guy who beat Pacquiao."

Also, I think pac's comments about gay people, and him delaying the fight (I think judges got word of this), made them even more eager to "score rounds for Bradley"

This is just my opinion. . I think Arum has ways to hint to the judges what he would like; what woudl be the most favorable outcome for him. . And in turn, they try their best to make it happen.
If it IS corruption, this here best describes it.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
RY35AN
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by king khan View Post

Believable theory.
RY35AN is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum