Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Gavin pulls out of Upton Park card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post

Gavin backed out because Witter wanted too much money

If he really wants the British title he'd fight for the going rate of a challenger, rather than the premium that he's been getting thus far, which is hardly earned I hasten to add.
This.

Gavin should just retire now.

When will he have his next fight? September? And then fight for the British next year, 5 years after turning Pro?

He should jack it in.
Nipple is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #17
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

I used to be a fan of Gavin, but he is becoming a joke.

I couldn't give a **** about his career to be honest, there's far less talented guys who graft to get where they are who need the boxing publics support.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
Ace Frehley
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
This.

Gavin should just retire now.

When will he have his next fight? September? And then fight for the British next year, 5 years after turning Pro?

He should jack it in.
Sadly I agree.

Doesn't look like he's got his heart in the pro boxing game. Too many excuses, too often.
Ace Frehley is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
Chunky

vCash: 1815

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
As always, Frank absolutely disgraces the sport with a disgusting undercard and is trying to sell the card off of one fight. At least its a decent match up this time.

****** cards put me off of going to live boxing anymore.
Chunky is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
sud2002
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post

I couldn't give a **** about his career to be honest, there's far less talented guys who graft to get where they are who need the boxing publics support.
I agree it's becoming a bit of a joke but I do hope he gets it together.

And it's not like there's not guys who are just or even more talented then him, I'd put Brook and Khan above him.
sud2002 is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
Fair enough though, I'd much rather fight for a British title than a Luxembourg one! or some new made up one!
I agree, why risk your BBBC status and licence just to make fold ish eyes fatter than he already is!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post

I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking.

I've met Frankie twice and he's a great lad, but I just question his desire for success in professional boxing.

He more than likely received a hefty signing on fee, which can quite often cause you to lose your hunger - and the guaranteed purse per fight too is a problem.

They can't get guys to fight him - if Frankie is guaranteed (say) 50k per fight, Witter as British champion is going to want similar money.

Gavin complained that Witter wanted too much money, why not take a cut from his own purse to make the fight? He'd have a shot at the British title which would push him into the spotlight a bit more.

There's not a lot else I can add to your point really, other fighters that have done far more, with far less help, and with far less ability deserve the support of the boxing public.

I know it's always been the case, but a successful amateur career shouldn't guarantee a free meal ticket for life in the pros, simple as that.

He's got two years to sort it out, if he's still at this level by then - which he more than likely will be in all honesty, he might as well give it up and get a day job.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I've met Frankie twice and he's a great lad, but I just question his desire for success in professional boxing.

He more than likely received a hefty signing on fee, which can quite often cause you to lose your hunger - and the guaranteed purse per fight too is a problem.

They can't get guys to fight him - if Frankie is guaranteed (say) 50k per fight, Witter as British champion is going to want similar money.

Gavin complained that Witter wanted too much money, why not take a cut from his own purse to make the fight? He'd have a shot at the British title which would push him into the spotlight a bit more.

There's not a lot else I can add to your point really, other fighters that have done far more, with far less help, and with far less ability deserve the support of the boxing public.

I know it's always been the case, but a successful amateur career shouldn't guarantee a free meal ticket for life in the pros, simple as that.

He's got two years to sort it out, if he's still at this level by then - which he more than likely will be in all honesty, he might as well give it up and get a day job.
Bang on the money BB
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Spot on BB.

If Gavin is still in this situation come next March, he should just jack it in and become a trainer.

There is ALWAYS an excuse or a reason with him. Why not get your head down and TRY and crack on with making something out of it?

He has been a Pro for the best part of 4-5 years and his best performance was against Micheal Lomax... He needs some good fortune or he will be a "What if?" fighter within 18 months if this carry's on.

He's withdrew, but he was hardly getting any fights BEFORE this Luxembourg malarky came about, so why not just carry on with the fight? He should forget this English Belt nonsense and just go straight at the Euro scene!
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

To get his career back on track a fight against Witter is just what he needs a fight i think he would win & put him in line for a british title shot a level he should be at least now imo.

The money side of it is what the game boils down to i think most of us get that but by making a sacifice financially now he could only gain in the long term of his career.In his mid-twenties now & really time to knuckle down otherwise we are talking about a wasted talent.
Makingweight is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #26
B.A.S.
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

Nail. On. Head.
B.A.S. is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

Have to agree with this man .......................
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #28
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3166

paid to much to early imo
its a shame as well nothing worse than wasted talent
ashishwarrior is online now  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #29
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makingweight View Post
To get his career back on track a fight against Witter is just what he needs a fight i think he would win & put him in line for a british title shot a level he should be at least now imo.

The money side of it is what the game boils down to i think most of us get that but by making a sacifice financially now he could only gain in the long term of his career.In his mid-twenties now & really time to knuckle down otherwise we are talking about a wasted talent.
In line for a shot, well Witter is British champion so it would be a shot
CamR21 is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
Ace Frehley
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamR21 View Post
In line for a shot, well Witter is British champion so it would be a shot
Which makes it even more ridiculous that he's complaining about Witter wanting too much money. The money side of it is obviously important, but you'd think getting a chance to win the British Title would outweigh it massively (no pun intended). Witter is the champion aswell. Does Gavin have any right to start complaining about what % of the money is split?

Agree with some of the others and it seems he just earned far too much, too soon and it's taken his hunger away.
Ace Frehley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum