Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Any niggling pains or injuries? Post them here...

... And maybe we can share some advice.

Currently I have a knee that has just started clicking in the last two weeks. It's not an occasional clicking but a reliable one that occurs every time I bend my knee past 45 degrees from straight (180 minus 45, that's the click). Weight bearing, it turns into a crunching crack. Not massively painful but a slight ache remains if clicked a few times.

I also currently have a dull ache in both elbows. I'm only 23 so I'm ****ed.

Anyone else feel like they need propping up?
Manassa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Uncle Roger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1877
Default Re: Any niggling pains or injuries? Post them here...

Clicking shoulder when I do pushups or punch the speed bag for a longer time.

Clicking knees when I do squats/leg workouts

Dull pain in both shoulders when I train for a while.

Pain in my lower right abdomen that makes me stop jump roping or running after a longer while.

I'm 24 and I've been training boxing since I was 15. I feel like I'm falling apart nowadays.
Uncle Roger is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Roger View Post
Clicking shoulder when I do pushups or punch the speed bag for a longer time.

Clicking knees when I do squats/leg workouts

Dull pain in both shoulders when I train for a while.

Pain in my lower right abdomen that makes me stop jump roping or running after a longer while.

I'm 24 and I've been training boxing since I was 15. I feel like I'm falling apart nowadays.
Same here man. Can't tell if it's purely from over training or the fact my tall, slim structure is more susceptible to joint damage. Probably a bit of both.

Some of these things can clear up on their own, some of them only get worse. Before seeking professional advice I'm putting myself on a two week rest with nothing but lots of stretching and cod liver oil.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Clicking Knees as well.

I put it down to just "wear and tear" i guess. Nothing that a few supplements and a few days rest/off from leg workouts won't solve though.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Uncle Roger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Same here man. Can't tell if it's purely from over training or the fact my tall, slim structure is more susceptible to joint damage. Probably a bit of both.

Some of these things can clear up on their own, some of them only get worse. Before seeking professional advice I'm putting myself on a two week rest with nothing but lots of stretching and cod liver oil.
No idea why it happens man. I've played a lot football in addition to boxing when I was younger, and I never got one injury. No pains, no clicking etc. Nothing.

I think I'm just getting older.

I've taken several 1-2 month long breaks from training, and all the pains keep coming back.

And I've been taking fish oil for 4 years now.
Uncle Roger is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
roller
I am the one who knocks!

vCash: 300

My right wrist. Broke it before, and it tends to act up every now and again. Makes hitting the heavy bag and doing pushups a real cunt, even with wraps.

My knee tends to give me bother every once in a while, too. I've been taking cod liver oil for the past year or so and it seems to help.
roller is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Dark Sider
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 598

Somethings wrong with my abductor or groin...slight pull or something?

Its been three weeks and no improvement.
Dark Sider is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
AdamB
Journeyman

Pain in my left elbow, both shoulders (especially my right), the muscles on the inside of both knees, right wrist when I hit the heavy bag for a while. Both my shoulders and both my knees crack and pop like crazy. The elbow pain is my predominant worry right now and it keeps re-appearing.
AdamB is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Hammer Muldoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I seem to have glass shins.
Hammer Muldoon is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
AdamB
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Muldoon View Post
I seem to have glass shins.
If you're referring to shin splints, by any chance did you just start boxing recently or come back from a break? I used to get crazy shin splints to start with for a month or two, but I never do anymore.
AdamB is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Seems like we're all falling apart. It's at least encouraging to know I'm not the only one
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Hammer Muldoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
If you're referring to shin splints, by any chance did you just start boxing recently or come back from a break? I used to get crazy shin splints to start with for a month or two, but I never do anymore.
Not from boxing mate, just from running. It's my own fault, i do nothing for a few weeks/months, then start running 6-7 miles, 3 or 4 times a week. Then hurt my shins, do nothing for a few weeks/months, then run 6-7 miles, 3-4 times a week. I've repeated this process over the past year, hoping that my shins would adjust but it hasn't happened.

I presume it is shin splints but i've never had it checked out. Although i've had a different injury over the past week where it wasn't the inside of my shin, but on the outside, just below my knee. It was sore to touch, and there was also a bit of pain down the bottom of my shin, near the top of my foot. Think i'll reduce the distance for a while now and build up gradually, instead of persisting with my current "routine".
Hammer Muldoon is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Not from boxing mate, just from running. It's my own fault, i do nothing for a few weeks/months, then start running 6-7 miles, 3 or 4 times a week. Then hurt my shins, do nothing for a few weeks/months, then run 6-7 miles, 3-4 times a week. I've repeated this process over the past year, hoping that my shins would adjust but it hasn't happened.

I presume it is shin splints but i've never had it checked out. Although i've had a different injury over the past week where it wasn't the inside of my shin, but on the outside, just below my knee. It was sore to touch, and there was also a bit of pain down the bottom of my shin, near the top of my foot. Think i'll reduce the distance for a while now and build up gradually, instead of persisting with my current "routine".
Try this:

Find a sofa or something equivalently heavy with a gap to hook your toes underneath. Lean back. Your weight should be supported by the muscles running along your shins. It's an isometric exercise that I started doing after I went sprinting once and realised that muscle was severely underdeveloped and sore the next day.

Not saying it will definitely work but sometimes the muscles/bones/tendons need some extra attention to strengthen up.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
AdamB
Journeyman

Quote:

Yeah. Shin splints may well be an incorrect way to describe it on my part, but that is exactly the issue I had - I used to dive right into doing heavy roadwork alongside boxing and my shins would be in agony. I can run daily and still box without getting any pain in my shins nowadays, just about consistency really, though in that scenario my knees are becoming an issue.

EDIT: I'm 22 also by the way - funny how there's a few of us in here in our early twenties that are listing common complaints of 80 year old men.
AdamB is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
Yeah. Shin splints may well be an incorrect way to describe it on my part, but that is exactly the issue I had - I used to dive right into doing heavy roadwork alongside boxing and my shins would be in agony. I can run daily and still box without getting any pain in my shins nowadays, just about consistency really, though in that scenario my knees are becoming an issue.

EDIT: I'm 22 also by the way - funny how there's a few of us in here in our early twenties that are listing common complaints of 80 year old men.
Sounds like stuff that was happening 80 years ago and still is it seems
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing