Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Hammer Muldoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Any niggling pains or injuries? Post them here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Try this:

Find a sofa or something equivalently heavy with a gap to hook your toes underneath. Lean back. Your weight should be supported by the muscles running along your shins. It's an isometric exercise that I started doing after I went sprinting once and realised that muscle was severely underdeveloped and sore the next day.

Not saying it will definitely work but sometimes the muscles/bones/tendons need some extra attention to strengthen up.
Thanks mate, i'll give that a go.
Hammer Muldoon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
Uncle Roger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1877

Someone once told me you have to get special running shoes if you're getting shin splits.

The kind those marathon runners use (adjusted to your running style/foot etc.)

I can imagine that those would be quite expensive.
Uncle Roger is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
roller
I am the one who knocks!

vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Muldoon View Post
Not from boxing mate, just from running. It's my own fault, i do nothing for a few weeks/months, then start running 6-7 miles, 3 or 4 times a week. Then hurt my shins, do nothing for a few weeks/months, then run 6-7 miles, 3-4 times a week. I've repeated this process over the past year, hoping that my shins would adjust but it hasn't happened.

I presume it is shin splints but i've never had it checked out. Although i've had a different injury over the past week where it wasn't the inside of my shin, but on the outside, just below my knee. It was sore to touch, and there was also a bit of pain down the bottom of my shin, near the top of my foot. Think i'll reduce the distance for a while now and build up gradually, instead of persisting with my current "routine".
I'd recommend getting a pair of running shoes that are suited to your running style. Not all shoes are the same. Any local running shop can analyse your gait, or you could easily do it yourself.

I used to get shit splints all the time, but then I found a pair of shoes that suited me and I haven't had any problems since.
roller is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
Lartize
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2468

My right ankle pops sometimes
My right knee can get kinda sore sometimes while running hills
My right hand hurts.. I got some type of pain in the middle of my hand.. like between the knuckles and the wrists.. I don't know wtf is up with that..
Both my wrists starting hurting from pushups so I had to switch to always doing them on my knuckles
Lartize is online now  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Something worth considering, the Body works All or Nothing. It should work in Balance, which is Posture, from top to bottom of the command system. If something is not working as it should, everything is compensating. Something in the link will get overstressed, theres a Problem simples. Your brand new car you look after and maintain, its your Pride and Joy. Most important thing you have is you, look after yourself by good maintenance, its the only one you will ever have
scrap is online now  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

after a sparring session just a few weeks ago, jaw was clicking, sparring partner really clocked me bad a few times. Jaw was clicking quite a bit, a week later i spar again. At this point my jaw is fine, im doing well in the session then last round i run into a right hand. Jaw is sore as shit and clicks to the point where people can hear it.

its fine now but man that was horrible.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I've had a terrible time lately with pain in my ankles and the inside of my calves every time I run or jump rope.They're the only cardio exercises that I can really get into the "zone" with,so it's a real ****er to put up with.
Gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for a sports injury clinic sooner or later.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #23
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

And I went to a running shop and got proper shoes for my running technique,so must be more to it.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #24
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I actually think 'special' running shoes are a load of shit. You don't just get an insole put in and it solves all your issues, your gait is suddenly changed and without learning the right mechanics you're just going to transfer your issue to another part of your body. Not to mention the decreases in running efficiency by changing the line of force through your muscle and tendons.
I learned the hard way many years ago, I had ankle issues and I was always going in to get a new running shoe with insoles. Everytime my foot motion got analysed it would be different and I always had different pains and injuries in my feet.
Eventually I thought **** it, I'm just going to buy some shoes that are light and look cool. I was sick of spending hundreds of dollars on running shoes so I ended up buying a pair of shoes that were lightweight and mimicked running barefoot.
It didn't take long for my foot injuries to vanish, my feet felt stronger and my balance was far better. It's been a couple of years now and still no sign of any foot issues.
I had my foot mechanics analysed at the running shop again and what a surprise, my foot was neutral.
It was later that I learned why.
Anybody who tries to convince you to buy insoles is either uneducated or trying to make a dollar off a sucker.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
I've had a terrible time lately with pain in my ankles and the inside of my calves every time I run or jump rope.They're the only cardio exercises that I can really get into the "zone" with,so it's a real ****er to put up with.
Gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for a sports injury clinic sooner or later.
How often do you do balance training on a wobble board?
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
How often do you do balance training on a wobble board?
Been using one 45 Years, great piece of Kit, Rollers and Medicine Balls are also good.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBaA7tNSRNk[/ame]
scrap is online now  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
Jake_Lamotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Great video as always scrap ! What's he doing with the dumbbells at the end of the video? Rotator cuffs? Why he angle his hands in that way?
Jake_Lamotta is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Lamotta View Post
Great video as always scrap ! What's he doing with the dumbbells at the end of the video? Rotator cuffs? Why he angle his hands in that way?
Actually never noticed that , its part of a routine we do for Shoulders and upper Back, muscles takes 15 minutes.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #30
stephen
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 331

- bulging disk in my lower back
- torn me rotator cuff (twice)
- clicking right knee
- cracked rib
stephen is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing