Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #16
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Leonard humiliating Duran in round 7 of their second fight

A 'low rent' move.

Usually pulled by fighters who want everyone to look at them, and say OOOH !

Kind of like the guy who buys a 'purple Cadillac'

Look at me, 'I'm a Fancy Boy'
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
A.J.
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post
A 'low rent' move.

For once, I disagree with you, Senor Pepe'.

Duran had done numerous low-rent things toward Leonard (& Ray's wife), FIRST, so Ray was merely paying him back-- in the language Duran best understood. Leonard DID want to humiliate the guy. It also worked strategically, as it was the obvious reason that Duran quit. Forget about the alleged cramps and the other excuses, Ray Arcel already corrected that on the ABC broadcast of the fight, saying Duran had not complained of cramps at all during the fight. He was being humiliated and wasn't able to do anything about it, as Leonard was having an easy night every round.

I'd admit Duran was not as sharp or as conditioned as for the first fight, but he has only himself to blame. Meantime, Leonard became a 10% better fighter, at least, than he was in Montreal.

I thus disagree also with an earlier post by someone else who said that no one thought anything of Leonard's 7th-round antics. It was a big deal to the audience in the Superdome (just listen to the crowd reaction), and to many of us watching at home, and it was written about everywhere the next day.

In fact, I don't recall anyone criticizing Leonard for doing it, although Cosell said on the air, as did Larry Holmes on the CC call, that Leonard better not continue to do that, for his own safety.
A.J. is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A.J.

Yes, Roberto Duran was no 'Choir Boy',,,,,,,,,, but at least he was 'original'

Ray Leonard,,,,,,,,,, he stole an 'Ali act',,,,,,,, and that in my eye is 'Low Rent'.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

People forget Duran was the Champion in that fight.

When SRL starting playing "Sissy Boy".....Duran should have
just gone back to the ropes and waited for Ray to come fight him.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
DKD
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 630

If I remember the second fight was actually fairly close at the point when Duran quit.
DKD is online now  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKD View Post
If I remember the second fight was actually fairly close at the point when Duran quit.
That is true.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #22
A.J.
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Leonard won every round in fight #2 except for the 5th, in my book.

If it was "close," that's the judges' cards. Duran did nothing the entire fight except get beaten to the punch--yes, even when he backed Leonard against the ropes, Leonard won every exchange.

The only exception was the round that Leonard tripped and fell on his side, which was rd 5, as I recall. Not that Duran did any damage to him in that round.

I've never understood how anyone can give Duran any more rounds in that fight than one round, and if so, I'd like to know the specific rounds Duran allegedly won.
A.J. is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #23
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
A 'low rent' move.

Senor Pepe Umad. Its obvious.

Sugah didn't want everyone to look at him, he wanted Duran to look at him. That's what Duran couldn't take. Looking at someone handing him a thorough beatdown.

In the paint, Duran couldn't do anything. Sugah was outspeeding him and using great foot movement.
On the ropes, Duran couldn't do anything. When Sugah didn't feint or slip out, he held his ground and whirled away flurries on the inside, Sugah was unbulliable.

Sugah was staring Duran in the eyes and bitching him like a bitch. Duran couldn't take it. "No Mas"

Sugah wanted an immediate rematch after the first fight, because he knew he could beat Duran, turns out he was absolutely 100% right, cause he beat him badly and beat him with style. I watch this fight all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKD View Post
No the hell it wasn't. Let's see your scorecards bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post
That is true.
and yours too

Both of you need to to actually have some commentary to back up whatever silliness your scorecards might be. I'd be more than happy to do the same.

Infact, I'm watching the fight again right this moment!

Early in the 2nd Round.. Sugah chops a right down into Duran that infuriates him! He's at Sugah immediately! Only to meet a beautifully timed two piece! Durans angry,off balance, he charges back in!Bullytime! But nO! Sugah tosses him off his gameplan again! Duran eats some sneaky shots! Clench time is right uppercut time! Duran eats it! Ref breaks them up!
Look at Duran! Hes positively enraged! He's furious! Listen to Cosell describe it!:
Quote:
Now! Duran with that familiar leer, half sneer! Look at him, you see him with a smile across his face! Lenoard,(is) sticking strictly to business! You see that Lenard movement.."
Round 7!

Oh my god! Look at Sugah go! He pissed Duran the hell off in Round 6, now he's toying with him.
Lenard beautifully feints a right and -knowing exactly what Duran is going to do- ducks Duran's left hook counter-straight right follow through! Pure poetry on Sugah's part! Duran knows it, Sugah knows it: Durans being bitched. Duran throws a wild left, Sugah slides out of the way.
Let the games begin! Its all Sugah! Who is doubling and trippling the jab to Duran's mid section. Too much speed for Stonehands!
1:27! Sugah starts at his shift posturing! Listen to Cosell!
Quote:
Lenoard now! He better stop that! Duran is no one to play around with! To Posture with!
(Shut up Cosell! Get'em Sugah!)
This is why you dont listen to old unathletic commentators talk about fighting when they've never fought themselves..
Duran is sticking a jab at nothing! Sugah is smiling and dancing right out of his reach! Cosell:
Quote:
Leonard is showing his confidence, but he is not doing it the right way! He is taunting Duran, with..
We interrupt this square-ass commentary with a Sugah Ray Leonard flurry that is positively beautiful!-Sugah digs in! One, Two, Three, Four! Blazing handspeed is on display and just like that Sugah strikes and slides right out of there, Duran's hair is still bouncing from the shots! Cosell is still mid-lame-ass-rant
Quote:
"with his posturing!"
Duran is messed up! He beckons Ray over to him!
Cosell (who never acknowledges that stunning battering that just took place, maybe it was too fast for him to see it?):
Quote:
And Duran is saying 'Come on Fight fight!' *with his beckoning*"
Sugah responds appropriately: with a Ali Shuffle!!!
Two seconds, three seconds! They're both in the ropes! Duran's territory right?! RIGHT! Duran is swinging! Nothing's landing! NO! Sugah throws eight punches! Most of them land! Impossible! Sugah slides out!
More posturing from Sugah!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

No he didnt! Yes HE DID!

Sugah is making Duran look like a fool! Now he's the one beckoning Duran to come over! Beckoning! Beckoning!
Duran (like an idiot) comes on, with seven seconds left to go in the round Sugar digs in and slams a left hook into Duran's body to punctuate all the ass whooping Duran's been getting so far. Lets hear more of square-ass Cosell:
Quote:
"Dundee would be well advised, I think, to tell Leonard to stop that!"
Don't worry guys, Cosell was butthurt for all of you.
As the round ends, Duran waves off Sugah "I ain't even mad tho.."-like..

Duran's mad (and yall mad too)

Round 8 starts with something curious?! What's the Ref holding Duran up for?
"Towel him!" Aww, whatever little edge you were trying to get shall not be had this day Duran. They wipe Duran off and Sugar smiles and smiles and smiles and out-boxes, outspeeds, outclasses Duran..untill...untill...

"No Mas" ~ Too much ass whooping in this ring right now for Duran, his stomache hurts not from steak, but from those jabs and body punches! His legs aren't cramping up..He's tired from the superior footwork that Leonard has put on him! "No Mas!"-"No Mas!"

Revenge complete. GG Duran.

It's okay though Pepe, Longhhorn71, heres looking at yous guys.....

Last edited by Ali_; 06-21-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: cause there's more to add!
Ali_ is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali,,

I get the impression you like Ray Leonard.

He still lost to Jerome Artis.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Duran really shouldn't have No Mas'd though, the fight was still pretty close.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Watching Duran and Leonard fanboys go at it makes for a hilarious observation.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran down 1-2 rounds when he folded. I think this was a 15 rd fight...so Duran had plenty of time to make a comeback.

Bad, and unnecessary move by Duran.

time: 2:44 | referee: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | judge: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 66-68 | judge: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 66-68 | judge: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 66-67
Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #28
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Ali,,

I get the impression you like Ray Leonard.

He still lost to Jerome Artis.
Let me see here, seeing as how I can count my man Sugah's losses on one hand, I'm assuming you are talking about some guy in the amateurs?
Sugar went 145–5 as an amateur, so am I supposed to be shocked that one guy in their is named Jerome Artis? Can you tell me the name of the other 4 please? Pretty please? I'm supposed to feel bad that a amateur champion beat Sugar..in the amateurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Watching Duran and Leonard fanboys go at it makes for a hilarious observation.
2-1. First fight was a good fight, second fight was a whooping, third fight..do Duran fans even talk about the third fight?

Quote:
Duran down 1-2 rounds when he folded. I think this was a 15 rd fight...so Duran had plenty of time to make a comeback.

Bad, and unnecessary move by Duran.

time: 2:44 | referee: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | judge: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 66-68 | judge: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 66-68 | judge: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 66-67
Duran was on his way to an embarrassing knock-out or an equally (or more so) embarrassing stoppage. There was nothing about Duran's performance after the first round that had comeback in it, and Sugar was looking like he could do Round 8, four more times easily.

Duran's "No Mas" was fitting I'd say.
Ali_ is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #29
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_ View Post
Let me see here, seeing as how I can count my man Sugah's losses on one hand, I'm assuming you are talking about some guy in the amateurs?
Sugar went 1455 as an amateur, so am I supposed to be shocked that one guy in their is named Jerome Artis? Can you tell me the name of the other 4 please? Pretty please? I'm supposed to feel bad that a amateur champion beat Sugar..in the amateurs?

2-1. First fight was a good fight, second fight was a whooping, third fight..do Duran fans even talk about the third fight?

Duran was on his way to an embarrassing knock-out or an equally (or more so) embarrassing stoppage. There was nothing about Duran's performance after the first round that had comeback in it, and Sugar was looking like he could do Round 8, four more times easily.

Duran's "No Mas" was fitting I'd say.
SRL hit Duran point blank at the end and Duran just looked at him and walked back to his corner.

I don't think SRL ever hurt Duran at anytime in the 3 fights they fought.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #30
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
SRL hit Duran point blank at the end and Duran just looked at him and walked back to his corner.

I don't think SRL ever hurt Duran at anytime in the 3 fights they fought.
Oh? I'd say Duran was pretty hurt enough to stop in the 2nd fight.

Duran was a great and tough fighter, if he was hurt by a shot it was usually registered as anger on his face.
Ali_ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum