Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Georges Carpentier vs Joe Calzaghe

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Joe CALZAGHEBernard HOPKINS 36MAGE43 44-0 (32 KO’s)CAREER RECORD48-4-1 (32 KO’s) 6ft 0insHEIGHT6ft 2ins tbc WEIGHT (175lbs limit)* tbc 74″ REACH 75″ 38″ CHEST 40″ 40″ CHEST EXP42″11.5″ FOREARM11″21″ THIGH21″ 16.5″ NECK16″15″ CALF14″ 11″ ANKLE11″7″ WRIST 6″ 12″ FIST
Joe Calzaghie (light heavy) Georges Carpentier
6 Height 5"11
170 Weight 170
74 Reach ?
38 Chest ?
40 Chest Exp ?
11.5 Forearm ?
21 Thigh ?
16.5 Neck ?
15 Calf ?
11 Ankle ?
7 Wrist ?
12 Fist ?

cant find many stats for carpentier

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2mXqc1uLKk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i5I7Fhkppw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow5XgK5T2A&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRUihIn-po[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5lQl_wjt4[/ame]

Was looking for the Bika fight..since that is a rough ugly fight like Georges fight with Ski....can not find it on youtube however.

anyhow...how do you think this fight going..lets say both come in at 170.

Last edited by Johnstown; 12-05-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Georges Carpentier vs Joe Calzaghe

Really? No comments at all...

Well I will go out on a limb and say one thing...neither guy was ever going to be a bodybuilder....
Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I'll say Calzaghe would win on points.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For me Calzaghe is by far one of the most OVER-RATED fighters ever - I had David Starie beating him 9 rounds to 3 earlier in his career - I also had Hopkins and Kessler beating him by a fair distance (actually Kessler by a long way) - Jones fight was a joke - underwhelming is not the word - and Jones put him down in the first round - should stopped him - that would've been hilarious

Carpentier is for me ONE OF THE MOST CRIMINALLY UNDER-RATED in history - my grandad viewed him as unquestionably one of the greats (I get the impression from the way my grandad used to talk about him that Carp had a lot lot more respect in his day than he does now) - I have a biog of Carps (printed in English) that I found in an antiquarian bookshop in Paris France from the period - which basically spoke of him almost as royalty - Carp himself wasn't particularly impressed by Gene Tunney and beleived that in his prime he probably could've beaten Gene - if Carp lands his lightning right hand (and he would) Calzaghe is in big big trouble - Carp could hit and run better than Calzaghe and he could slug better than Calzaghe ever could - and he could put peoples lights out in an instant better than Calzghe ever could - never in a million years would Calzaghe ever be able to put a dent in Jack Dempsey!!
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
For me Calzaghe is by far one of the most OVER-RATED fighters ever - I had David Starie beating him 9 rounds to 3 earlier in his career - I also had Hopkins and Kessler beating him by a fair distance (actually Kessler by a long way) - Jones fight was a joke - underwhelming is not the word - and Jones put him down in the first round - should stopped him - that would've been hilarious

Carpentier is for me ONE OF THE MOST CRIMINALLY UNDER-RATED in history - my grandad viewed him as unquestionably one of the greats (I get the impression from the way my grandad used to talk about him that Carp had a lot lot more respect in his day than he does now) - I have a biog of Carps (printed in English) that I found in an antiquarian bookshop in Paris France from the period - which basically spoke of him almost as royalty - Carp himself wasn't particularly impressed by Gene Tunney and beleived that in his prime he probably could've beaten Gene - if Carp lands his lightning right hand (and he would) Calzaghe is in big big trouble - Carp could hit and run better than Calzaghe and he could slug better than Calzaghe ever could - and he could put peoples lights out in an instant better than Calzghe ever could - never in a million years would Calzaghe ever be able to put a dent in Jack Dempsey!!
Rocky, no need for me to comment on your post. I agree with you 100%.
Carpentier at his best had one of the greatest laser right hands in boxing history. He was the scourge of British Heavyweights as Joe Beckett and Bomb. Billy Wells, who outweighed Carpentier by 20-30 pounds. He kod
Welter great Ted Kid Lewis, and had the punch to stagger the iron chinned Manassa Mauler. The beating Carpentier took from the truly
great Gene Tunney, while way past his prime,was heroic. Calzaghe was not in his league..
P.S. Rocky, I too have the biography book of Carpentier..
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

I did not see Hopkins winning that...sorry....he got hit more...and while joe may slap...his slaps seemed for the most part to bother Bernard more. However..I do not see how the hell you can possible say Kesslar won that fight...that for me is a bit of a streach.

I must confess I never saw the David Staire fight.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
I did not see Hopkins winning that...sorry....he got hit more...and while joe may slap...his slaps seemed for the most part to bother Bernard more. However..I do not see how the hell you can possible say Kesslar won that fight...that for me is a bit of a streach.

I must confess I never saw the David Staire fight.

Fair dues on the Hopkins fight - that was one of those pick em fights that could've gone either way I guess. The Kessler fight though I say Mikel won going away - not even close - I confess I absolutely hate Calzaghe's style (and his personality also grates on me a bit too) being fair my friends who watched the Starie fight with me scored it to Calzaghe by a round generally so did concede that it was extremely close but I did become known as the Starie man for a few months after everyfight we scored after that for a while my mates were always going - "Are we going to get another contentious decision from *****"
Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I had David Starie beating him 9 rounds to 3 earlier in his career !!
I think that says more about you than it does about Calzaghe. Wait did you say you had Kessler beating him too? You could have at least tried to pull up the Reid fight if you want to hate and actually be taken seriously
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I was impressed with Calzaghe's recuperative ability when he was hurt and decked. He had a good quality for coming back from those rocky moments.
But I figure a young Carpentier is a far more deadly puncher than an old Hopkins or an old Jones, and just better and more powerful than Byron Mitchell.
Carpentier was a really fierce puncher, and a cagey fighter who'd spring up from nowhere with those punches. He's underrated overall as a boxer too.
I think he'd hurt and finish Calzaghe.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I think that says more about you than it does about Calzaghe. Wait did you say you had Kessler beating him too? You could have at least tried to pull up the Reid fight if you want to hate and actually be taken seriously
No.1 the day I need justifying by you powderpuff I'll pack my bags and go home

No.2 if you read my posts about it you might deduce from them that I'm not really expecting anyone to take them seriously anyway - but I was making the point that (especially about the Starie fight) Calzaghe in some peoples eyes - depending what you score fights on (ie punches landed etc or general ring generalship etc etc you know the score) - then more than a few would've scored that fight for Starie - the night I watched the Calzaghe-Kessler fight 7 or the 8 people in the house scored it to Kessler by about 3 rounds - all fights fans for years who regularly watch fights (and only one of the 7 (me) particularly did not like Calzaghe)

the Hopkins fight fair enough - my mates watching the fight were generally split 50-50 but either way most had the winner only just shading it by a round or whatever - a PS prime Jone Jnr would've finished the job he started in the 1st round
Old 12-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Carpentier gets the KO with the right hand.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Carpentier would time the right hand at some point. Calzaghe, for all his awkwardness, was not particularly hard to hit.

He'd get sparked.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:

Agree that Joe C is massively overrated; clearly has a unique style that would cause greater fighters (some) than him problems.

But Carpentier is a hard one to gauge; so hard to gauge what was/wasn't fixed IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Carpentier would time the right hand at some point. Calzaghe, for all his awkwardness, was not particularly hard to hit.

He'd get sparked.
If Jones and Hopkins could do it in the first round, Carpentier could do it too and he punches harder than both by quite a bit. Is it enough to knock Joe C. out? I donīt know. Calzaghe has a very good chin and very good recuperative abilities. It may not be enough. If Carpentier is able to follow up with more than one punch, Calzaghe goes for sure.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

Quote:
No.1 the day I need justifying by you powderpuff I'll pack my bags and go home

No.2 if you read my posts about it you might deduce from them that I'm not really expecting anyone to take them seriously anyway - but I was making the point that (especially about the Starie fight) Calzaghe in some peoples eyes - depending what you score fights on (ie punches landed etc or general ring generalship etc etc you know the score) - then more than a few would've scored that fight for Starie - the night I watched the Calzaghe-Kessler fight 7 or the 8 people in the house scored it to Kessler by about 3 rounds - all fights fans for years who regularly watch fights (and only one of the 7 (me) particularly did not like Calzaghe)

the Hopkins fight fair enough - my mates watching the fight were generally split 50-50 but either way most had the winner only just shading it by a round or whatever - a PS prime Jone Jnr would've finished the job he started in the 1st round
Kessler took most of the opening rounds up to round 5 and he took round 12, but Calzaghe dominated the middle. Calzaghe close but clear win 115-113.
Maxmomer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum