Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #46
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 661
vCash: 1945
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

I agree that a broken jaw is very tough and in some cases I would be more remorseful but.

Ortiz quit vs Maidana when the going got tough, he didnt think he deserved to take that kind of punishment.

Ortiz was knocked down by Mayweather but rather than get up and fight on like a true Mexican would, he crawled around the canvas until he heard the count finish.

So you would think after all that Ortiz would be out to prove a point, but no, even while his corner and ref wanted him to fight on he refused and yelled at the ref 'my jaws broke' knowing he would stop the fight, he was then happy to talk to jim grey after the fight was done, much like in the mayweather bout.
biglemon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #47
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,480
vCash: 107
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

Ortiz kinda gave me the impression he had the bully mentality. He didnt look as sharp and determined as in the Berto fight like he was looking past Josesito. Vic was lucky Josesito wasn't returning rabbit shits on him I know I would. Like when Hamed tried bullying Barrera. Barrera wasn't having none of that and gave Hamed a taste of his own medicine and Naz thought twice about hitting on the clinch.
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #48
Sinew
The Assassin
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NJ; training to be a supreme fighter, clashing bone and sinew
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chex31 View Post
"None of us are professional boxers (well, some of us may be in disguise), and it's not our JOB to get hit in the face and hit others in the face for a living. It is however Victor Ortiz's job, and he gets paid millions of dollars to do it.

How cool would it be if you could just quit your job whenever you felt it was too demanding and you'd still get paid for it, and still be employed the following day and allowed to earn paychecks again? Because that's what Victor Ortiz does : He's paid millions of dollars to get in the ring and fight, and every time it gets too rough for his liking he throws his arms in the air, says "f*ck it", quits, collects his paycheck, and goes home until he gets another fight lined up."

-A post from the scene
if someone is at work an get sick or something like that they can easily stop working and go home. get paid . and come back the next day. bad example
Sinew is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #49
NeroN
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlok View Post
Here what Jo Jo dan wrote onhis facebook and yes he can give shit to Ortiz because he fought Aydin with a broken jaw for 8 rounds :

Great fight on HBO....Victor Ortiz quit while ahead on all scorecards with a broken jaw in the 9th round!....some guys have no balls yet they call themselves great fighters and they get dates on HBO and Showtime!...what a shame!....too bad my 2 wars with Aydin where not seen in North American TV!

Herman Ngoudjo fought 2 times with a broken jaw.


I don't say Ortiz his a fag but those guy are defintly warriors
I had forgotten about Jo Jo
NeroN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #50
Badlok
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chibougamau
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 2350
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeroN View Post
I had forgotten about Jo Jo
He is comming back this fall

Good little boxer , maybe a little lack of power but meh!
Badlok is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #51
Royal-T-Bag
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,339
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
If it were any other fighter, people might see it differently. But the facts are that Ortiz was bucking in the clinch like a frustrated animal, intentionally fouled Lopez behind the head, and then was complicit with a stoppage to preserve his body. Ortiz can take a good amount of shots, he fought a good fight all bullshit aside, but if he can't hurt you bad, he starts to feel it's simply not worth it. Broken jaw or not, Ortiz failed to give 100% of himself in the ring. I don't hold it against him as a man, but you have to hold it against him as a fighter trying to grasp at some form of greatness.
perfectly worded and agreed 100%
Royal-T-Bag is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #52
sinol
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 692
vCash: 500
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

tommy morrison fought hipp wit broken jaw
ali fought norton wit broken jaw in first bout
ruddock fought tyson wit broken jaw and rib in rematch
sinol is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #53
DanishFightfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Horsens, Denmark
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 4021
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warraMont quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chex31 View Post
"None of us are professional boxers (well, some of us may be in disguise), and it's not our JOB to get hit in the face and hit others in the face for a living. It is however Victor Ortiz's job, and he gets paid millions of dollars to do it.

How cool would it be if you could just quit your job whenever you felt it was too demanding and you'd still get paid for it, and still be employed the following day and allowed to earn paychecks again? Because that's what Victor Ortiz does : He's paid millions of dollars to get in the ring and fight, and every time it gets too rough for his liking he throws his arms in the air, says "f*ck it", quits, collects his paycheck, and goes home until he gets another fight lined up."

-A post from the scene
Most people goes home from work when they don't feel well.. Some even stays home because of a cold..
DanishFightfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #54
Da Boxer
Cotto Soldier
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warraMont quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishFightfan View Post
Most people goes home from work when they don't feel well.. Some even stays home because of a cold..
....and others will fight and win thru adversity!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY1jzjTjIhY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
Da Boxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #55
king khan
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 185
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warraMont quitting?

nah, don't you know? everybody who has called Ortiz a puto, and a quitter, are world class boxers, and WARRIORS!
king khan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #56
king khan
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 185
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warraMont quitting?

It's not like it was Devon IT BURNS Alexander. . LOL who quit because "it burned."

This is a broken ****ing jaw. . .
king khan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #57
theword
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles by way of Philadelphia
Posts: 707
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexb View Post
Actually, if you do get injured or sick at work, you do quit for the day, go home and get better, than come back to work. Ala Victor.

Fuk fighting with a broke jaw, you gotta be kidding me.
I don't know what you do for a living, but, you're argument has some holes.

Say that each fight is a project for a boxer, that is to say; training camp / PR / fight = 1 project for this independent contractor (which all/most fighters are).

Physical injuries are a known quantity and a known risk of being a fighter. The equivalent isn't getting sick at your job and going home for the day and then coming back the next to pick up where you left off. The equivalent would be getting sick, or the job getting too hard, and then you say "nope, I'm done" and move onto the next project no matter how complete/incomplete the current one is. Furthermore, you expect whomever it is paying you - in this case it could be a PPV audience, subscribers to HBO / Showtime etc - to keep giving you work even though you have quit before when the going got tough.

That said, if a fighter WANTS to quit, it's life and career and his choice. I have nothing against Ortiz for doing that (basically 3x btw), but he probably shouldn't be rewarded / or praised for it.
theword is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #58
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
To be fair, Ali admitted in the Champions Forever documentary that he would've quit against Norton if he knew his jaw was broken.

Ortiz is definitely a weirdo headcase though. Not the toughest of fighters.
Ali wanted it though, Ortiz didn't want it.
Ali_ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #59
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,247
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_ View Post
Ali wanted it though, Ortiz didn't want it.
Well they all want to win. Now obviously Ortiz has a minuscule amount of Ali's mental toughness, but I don't see why people are using Ali-Norton as an example when Ali admitted he would have quit if he had known it was broken and told the interviewer it was a "dumb question" to ask why he would have.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #60
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Default Re: Broken jaw doesn't warrant quitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
Well they all want to win. Now obviously Ortiz has a minuscule amount of Ali's mental toughness, but I don't see why people are using Ali-Norton as an example when Ali admitted he would have quit if he had known it was broken and told the interviewer it was a "dumb question" to ask why he would have.
I wouldn't exactly use Ali-Norton as a metaphor for Ortiz's situation.

The difference here is that some fighters have the drive to win. Other's dont.
What kept Ali fighting even though his jaw was gone? Drive. Compulsion. He didn't even know his jaw was broke because he came to win.

Listen to Ortiz, watch and listen to him quit at the end of the broadcast.
He is undriven.

I'm not faulting him as a boxer for stepping out as he did, but it takes alot of courage,guts,belief and confidence to continue on in that battered condition. Most people don't have what it takes to keep going win, lose or draw, Ortiz didn't have it.
Ali_ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013