Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Is this the biggest fight of Anderson's MMA career?

1) Is this the biggest fight of Anderson's career?

2) Was Sonnen 1 his greatest victory?

3) Is Chael Sonnen Anderson's greatest rival in his career?

4) If he loses a 5-0 decision, does it do much harm to Silva's legacy? Or is he too old for it to matter?

5) If he wins by KO in the 1st, does it do much good for Silva's legacy? Or is Sonnen too shit of an opponent for it to matter?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: Is this the biggest fight of Anderson's MMA career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

4) If he loses a 5-0 decision, does it do much harm to Silva's legacy? Or is he too old for it to matter?

5) If he wins by KO in the 1st, does it do much good for Silva's legacy? Or is Sonnen too shit of an opponent for it to matter?

So many questions grasshopper
Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
So many questions grasshopper

I know. There are so many questions around this fight.

If this isn't the biggest fight of Anderson's career, what is?

It's fascinating, because many people essentially completely ignore the first fight. Anderson was injured/sick/homesick, Chael's a cheat etc.

Now those same people are talking shit on Chael, saying how he's a fraud.

But these people are only discrediting Anderson. If he knocks Chael out, big deal. He beat a fraud, a tin can, a nobody. Who cares?

Yet if Anderson loses a decision, there will be nothing left for the Sonnen haters except to claim that Silva is shot. Which he isn't, but they'll claim it anyway.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
No. Hendo was.

Quote:
If Sonnen dreampt that, he should apologize.

Quote:
It will do alot for it in the sense that it will shut the haters up when he rapes Sonnen infront of all his troll lovers.
afterglow is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I don't see this happening but if Chael dominates again for 5rds and avoids the last 2min sub and gets the victory, this has got to hurt Silver's legacy as he would've been dominated 9 out of 10rds to a bloke who has lost 11 times and 3 times to Jeremy Horn
kel is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:

1) Nop

2) Nop

3) Rival...depend on your angle...I'd say he seems to really ****in despise Maia alot more...but maybe yeah !

4) getting beat down 5-0 by a can yeah that would be harmful to his legacy !

5) Sonnen to shit of an opponent !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

1) Were it not for the fact that Sonnen was juicing, it probably would have been. Sonnen had talked a lot of shit going in to the 1st fight, and was very close to backing it up. Anderson lands a last minute sub, and snatches victory from the jaws of defeat. Then we find out about Sonnen's Test levels and Silva's rib injury. Overeem had a 14/1 T/E ratio when he was busted. Sonnen was 16.9/1 the day before the Silva fight. Normal men have 1/1 ratios. California allows a 4/1 ratio, while Nevada allows 6/1. Sonnen was well beyond the sake of any argument.

The only way this fight is important is if Sonnen if competitive. A dominant performance by Silva will look like the first fight was just an injured man against a roiding monster.

2) In terms of opponent, no. Hendo was. In terms of drama, yes. Anderson had been putting up a fight, but was being trounced on the score cards. Silva was down 4 rounds to none, and needed to finish. Then, out of nowhere, Silva is literally killing his opponent with very little time left in the fight.

3) Only if this fight in competitive.

4) At his age, I doubt it hurts his legacy much. However, it will give credibility to Sonnen's performance in the first fight regardless of the test ratio.

5) If he subs Sonnen in the first it probably won't mean that much given the amount of times Sonnen has been submitted. If he knocks Sonnen out, it will be more significant. I know you asked specifically about the ko, and maybe even for that reason. I just felt like noting how big the difference is. Sonnen has only been tko'd twice. Once was due to a cut, and the other was because his corner quit. Sonnen has been submitted 8 times.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
1) Nop
What is?

Quote:
2) Nop
Who is?

Quote:
3) Rival...depend on your angle...I'd say he seems to really ****in despise Maia alot more...but maybe yeah !
Maia his rival? You gotta have a competitive fight to be a rival. The Maia fight was a joke.

Quote:
4) getting beat down 5-0 by a can yeah that would be harmful to his legacy !
Was losing 4 straight rounds to a can, including a couple of 10-8s, harmful to his legacy?

Quote:
5) Sonnen to shit of an opponent !
So you won't give Anderson any credit for KOing this shit opponent.

What if he struggles again? Will you give Sonnen credit?

Last edited by Haggis McJackass; 06-25-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

5) If he subs Sonnen in the first it probably won't mean that much given the amount of times Sonnen has been submitted. If he knocks Sonnen out, it will be more significant. I know you asked specifically about the ko, and maybe even for that reason. I just felt like noting how big the difference is. Sonnen has only been tko'd twice. Once was due to a cut, and the other was because his corner quit. Sonnen has been submitted 8 times.[/quote]

I think based on that if Silva ices him in a round that would look good as Sonnen pretty much hasn't been properly KO'dl
kel is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
1) Were it not for the fact that Sonnen was juicing, it probably would have been. Sonnen had talked a lot of shit going in to the 1st fight, and was very close to backing it up. Anderson lands a last minute sub, and snatches victory from the jaws of defeat. Then we find out about Sonnen's Test levels and Silva's rib injury. Overeem had a 14/1 T/E ratio when he was busted. Sonnen was 16.9/1 the day before the Silva fight. Normal men have 1/1 ratios. California allows a 4/1 ratio, while Nevada allows 6/1. Sonnen was well beyond the sake of any argument.

The only way this fight is important is if Sonnen if competitive. A dominant performance by Silva will look like the first fight was just an injured man against a roiding monster.
I can agree with all this, but I still think this is the biggest fight of Anderson's career. If Silva dominates Sonnen and finishes him with ease, I will give a LOT more credit to his victory the first time round.

Quote:
2) In terms of opponent, no. Hendo was. In terms of drama, yes. Anderson had been putting up a fight, but was being trounced on the score cards. Silva was down 4 rounds to none, and needed to finish. Then, out of nowhere, Silva is literally killing his opponent with very little time left in the fight.
Again, I don't disagree. Hendo was his best name and performance, for sure, But Sonnen was his best win, if you understand what I am getting at. It must have been a new and unsettling experience for Anderson to be on his back, unable to get anything going, getting completely dominated. Yet he came up with the win just as the door was slamming shut. Hendo he beat reasonably easily.

Quote:
3) Only if this fight in competitive.
I'd argue that Chael has done enough anyway. Anderson doesn't really have a rival. He's been too dominant, and all his opponents have been too afraid of him/respectful of him to set themselves up against him. I mean, who else is Anderson's rival? Hendo? They only fought once, and Silva won pretty easily. Okami? He caught a green Anderson, and was molested by a peak Anderson. Franklin? The #2 UFC middleweight got bent over and raped twice. No disrespect to Rich, but that's like saying the English football team is the German team's main rival.

Quote:
4) At his age, I doubt it hurts his legacy much. However, it will give credibility to Sonnen's performance in the first fight regardless of the test ratio.
If Anderson loses you've gotta assume it'll be by way of Sonnen dominant UD. Losing 8 or 9 out of 10 rounds and your belt against a guy who is fast closing in on 10 career losses isn't a good look. Especially when you've still been clowning the rest of the division with ease.

Quote:
5) If he subs Sonnen in the first it probably won't mean that much given the amount of times Sonnen has been submitted. If he knocks Sonnen out, it will be more significant. I know you asked specifically about the ko, and maybe even for that reason. I just felt like noting how big the difference is. Sonnen has only been tko'd twice. Once was due to a cut, and the other was because his corner quit. Sonnen has been submitted 8 times.
Yeah, I'd be very impressed with a KO. Whatever anyone wants to say about Sonnen, he is tough as hell. He takes a good shot and there is no quit in him. A submission on the other hand, well, Chael sucks at defending submissions, everyone knows that. But a KO would be quite spectacular.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

Quote:
What is?
I would say it was the first Franklin fight

Quote:
Who is?
I would say Henderson

Quote:
Maia his rival? You gotta have a competitive fight to be a rival. The Maia fight was a joke.
....Haggis this is exactly why I said it's depend of what is your angle...He really seems to genuinely hate Maia that is why I said that maybe we could say he was is greatest rival...

but since you really want to have Sonnen has one of your answer then I will say yes, you are right, the greatest rival of Anderson Silva is Chael Sonnen...

Quote:
Was losing 4 straight rounds to a can, including a couple of 10-8s, harmful to his legacy?
A) He still won
B) Benefice of the doubt for the rib injury...let's wait for the rematch to really have an opinion on the matter.

Quote:
So you won't give Anderson any credit for KOing this shit opponent.

What if he struggles again? Will you give Sonnen credit?
For koing him yeah...Sonnen has never been KOED...so yeah I would give him credit for a KO...TKO not really...and sub that depend on the situation. Same case scenario has the first fight then I would prolly give credit to Sonnen for handling Silva so easily but he would still suck cause he was still subbed...again....and if Silva sub Sonnen really easily then no credit to Sonnen at all... !

That's pretty much it, IMO he lost to Bisping so... !

Quote:
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

I just want to be sure I understand what you are saying....because he was handled with ease by Sonnen for 4 round...he is the best win of Anderson Silva ?

We are talking about a guy that got a title shot after beating Marquardt, Okami and Miller, all from Ud and lost to Maia in his 4 previou fight ?

Am I correct ?

EDIT: Haggis put your cojones on the table cabrone !!

Put yout name down for Sonnen in the avatar bet thread !!!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Again, I don't disagree. Hendo was his best name and performance, for sure, But Sonnen was his best win, if you understand what I am getting at. It must have been a new and unsettling experience for Anderson to be on his back, unable to get anything going, getting completely dominated. Yet he came up with the win just as the door was slamming shut. Hendo he beat reasonably easily.
That's why I threw in a distinction. I agree, the Sonnen victory was by far his most dramatic win. Hendo was a bigger win, in terms of his resume. The Sonnen victory tells us more about his character. The Hendo win tells us more about his quality as a fighter.

Quote:
I'd argue that Chael has done enough anyway. Anderson doesn't really have a rival. He's been too dominant, and all his opponents have been too afraid of him/respectful of him to set themselves up against him. I mean, who else is Anderson's rival? Hendo? They only fought once, and Silva won pretty easily. Okami? He caught a green Anderson, and was molested by a peak Anderson. Franklin? The #2 UFC middleweight got bent over and raped twice. No disrespect to Rich, but that's like saying the English football team is the German team's main rival.
Hendo did win the first round against Silva. That doesn't prove him to be a rival of much sorts, but at the time; winning a round against Anderson was big.

Since Anderson has become Anderson, he hasn't really had a rival. That's one of the problems with the UFC's 185 pound division.

If Sonnen can come in with testosterone levels that are similar to Anderson's, and still make the fight competitive, then Anderson has a rival.

Quote:
If Anderson loses you've gotta assume it'll be by way of Sonnen dominant UD. Losing 8 or 9 out of 10 rounds and your belt against a guy who is fast closing in on 10 career losses isn't a good look. Especially when you've still been clowning the rest of the division with ease.
I don't make a lot of assumptions when it comes to competition. I won't be all that surprised by anything that happens. Silva is an older fighter that has a lot of his success based on his speed and reflexes. Speed and reflexes are the first things to decline in a fighter. I would be more surprised by Anderson making a mid 40's run like Couture than I would be by a dominant victory by Sonnen.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
I just want to be sure I understand what you are saying....because he was handled with ease by Sonnen for 4 round...he is the best win of Anderson Silva ?

We are talking about a guy that got a title shot after beating Marquardt, Okami and Miller, all from Ud and lost to Maia in his 4 previou fight ?

Am I correct ?
Yes.

Silva lost every minute of every round, and pulled out the submission in almost miraculous fashion. Has there ever been a later stoppage in a UFC fight? And Sonnen knocked Silva down twice with his fists. Nobody has ever come close to beating Anderson like Chael did.

Quote:
EDIT: Haggis put your cojones on the table cabrone !!

Put yout name down for Sonnen in the avatar bet thread !!!
1) I don't make avatar bets. My only betting on this forum is with vcash.

2) I'm picking Silva to win this fight via stoppage, so my avatar bet would be on Silva anyway.

3) I also thought that Bisping beat Sonnen, and made a thread to ask how people saw the fight.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yes.

Silva lost every minute of every round, and pulled out the submission in almost miraculous fashion. Has there ever been a later stoppage in a UFC fight? And Sonnen knocked Silva down twice with his fists. Nobody has ever come close to beating Anderson like Chael did.

Not a reason to be the greatest win.

Like Rek said maybe the most dramatic but far from being the greatest.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum