Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #16
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: Is this the biggest fight of Anderson's MMA career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
Not a reason to be the greatest win.

Like Rek said maybe the most dramatic but far from being the greatest.
It's certainly the one he overcame the most adversity in.

It's also the only one that had his fans absolutely shitting themselves, fearing that Anderson was going to get not just beaten, but humiliated. Which he would have been, because the 50-44 scorecards were all but handed over.

Isn't greatness all about overcoming adversity? Henderson won the first round and then got choked out. Sonnen DOMINATED the first round, then the second, then the third, then the fourth, then the first half of the fifth until he got subbed.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Sonnen DOMINATED the first round, then the second, then the third, then the fourth, then the first half of the fifth until he got subbed.

That argument is one thing when you are talking about two evenly matched fighters. The normal T/E ratio is 1/1. Chael was 16.9/1. California allows a 4/1 spread. Sonnen was over 4 times the acceptable athletic standards for his fight with Silva.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Silva will own the cheating Chael in the rematch..............and to answer the question without doubt the best win on Anderson's resume is the win over Hendo.
roscoe is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #19
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
It's certainly the one he overcame the most adversity in.

It's also the only one that had his fans absolutely shitting themselves, fearing that Anderson was going to get not just beaten, but humiliated. Which he would have been, because the 50-44 scorecards were all but handed over.

Isn't greatness all about overcoming adversity? Henderson won the first round and then got choked out. Sonnen DOMINATED the first round, then the second, then the third, then the fourth, then the first half of the fifth until he got subbed.

Nop man, greatness come from beating good opposition. Everybody can have a bad night. That why this fight will have some kind of significance for some people.

In the end he got the W !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #20
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Nop man, greatness come from beating good opposition. Everybody can have a bad night. That why this fight will have some kind of significance for some people.

In the end he got the W !
Stopping Henderson is a top-3 career highlight for anybody.

But Silva-Sonnen 2 is a bigger rematch than Silva-Henderson 2 would have been. Anderson's win over Henderson was FAR more decisive than his win over Chael.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #21
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Stopping Henderson is a top-3 career highlight for anybody.
Ok...yea...so we agree on that !

Quote:
But Silva-Sonnen 2 is a bigger rematch than Silva-Henderson 2 would have been.
I can agree with that, but it's still not the biggest fight in Anderson career IMO.

Quote:
Anderson's win over Henderson was FAR more decisive than his win over Chael.
Nop, Anderson's win over Henderson was for more DOMINANT(maybe this is just a semantic argument to that point ? ) than his win over Chael.

If we are saying the same thing....then we are saying the same thing....

Bottom line is that a win over a B class opponent is still a win over a B class opponent even though that guy won 4 round in a 5 rounder...

It's like saying in a JDS VS Hunt match...JDS win over Hunt would be better win then a Mir win if it was coming from a hail mary punch after being beat down for 4 round in a 5 rounder... !

Quote:
....So basically your are arguing just for the sake or arguing ?
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #22
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Ok...yea...so we agree on that !
Despite what the likes of Stoo and scurla would have you believe, it's easy to agree with someone 90% of the way down the line while still holding a different opinion yourself. It doesn't always have to be "A is correct, if you think B you're a ****ing retard." Sometimes A and B can both be legitimate points of view even though they conflict.

Quote:
I can agree with that, but it's still not the biggest fight in Anderson career IMO.
Would you gamble that it won't be the highest-selling PPV of Anderson's career?

Quote:
Nop, Anderson's win over Henderson was for more DOMINANT(maybe this is just a semantic argument to that point ? ) than his win over Chael.

If we are saying the same thing....then we are saying the same thing....
Well, against Hendo, Anderson struggled in the first round. But then it became apparent that he had figured Henderson out, and he stopped him in the second round.

Against Sonnen, Anderson spent the entire fight not just losing, but getting dominated. When the stoppage came against Hendo, Anderson was in control of the fight. When the stoppage came against Sonnen, it was a Hail Mary that appeared out of nowhere at the last possible moment. The argument can easily be made that Anderson lucked out against Sonnen, that Chael only had to run the clock down for a couple of minutes to win 5-0 on all scorecards. The manner of Sonnen's loss demands a rematch. Can't say that about Henderson.

Quote:
Bottom line is that a win over a B class opponent is still a win over a B class opponent even though that guy won 4 round in a 5 rounder...
It's a fair call.

But then, not many B+ fighters dominate a top-3 ATG like that.

Quote:
It's like saying in a JDS VS Hunt match...JDS win over Hunt would be better win then a Mir win if it was coming from a hail mary punch after being beat down for 4 round in a 5 rounder... !
Well, JDS getting the shit knocked out of him and coming back to KO Hunt with 2 minutes left would certainly be a great display of heart and guts and championship-level will to win. Better than a fight against a more skilled guy who is stylistically unable to impose his will at all.

Quote:
....So basically your are arguing just for the sake or arguing ?
What's the point of these boards, if not arguing for the sake of arguing?

I can see the case for Henderson being Anderson's best win.

But there is a case for Sonnen being his best win as well.

I just wanted to see what the general consensus was, and if there was a legitimate discussion to be had, or if there was only the usual infantile shit-throwing.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #23
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Despite what the likes of Stoo and scurla would have you believe, it's easy to agree with someone 90% of the way down the line while still holding a different opinion yourself. It doesn't always have to be "A is correct, if you think B you're a ****ing retard." Sometimes A and B can both be legitimate points of view even though they conflict.

Quote:
ONE FIGHT, you infantile retard.

Quote:
Why be such a simpleminded troll? At least have a ****ing discussion like an adult. I've said several times that I gave the fight to Bisping, so my scorecard was the same as yours, you ****ing retard.

Quote:
Well if that's true it pretty much makes you a retard

Quote:
This is MMA you retard.

Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #24
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Oh great, Stoo's here to follow me around from thread to thread. Again.

What did I even do to generate this seemingly obsessive need to get my attention? Whatever reason you have for fixating on me with this weird crush, I don't care. Find someone else to cyber-stalk.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #25
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

You brought up my name and Im ''following'' you. Thats retarded logic
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'v always thought Henderson was Andersons best win, the win over chael is probably Andy's most dramatic win... Sonnen is hyped up based on his losing performance to silva. but its understandable, he came very close to winning over one of the best fighters mma has ever produced. Hendersons standing however is based on real long time achievements, he keeps proving his worth as a top fighter, and ATG.

Hendo on paper, should have been the toughest fight in Andersons career according to the experts, but it wasnt. You probably dont remember the hype to that fight but I do. Many were picking Hendo by decision. Anderson already fought and beat sonnen who was doping anyway, so his performance is already tainted. mostly the ones picking sonnen now are hoping he can win against the odds. But if you know anything about sonnens career silva is a very dangerous matchup particularly because of his dangerous guard and the fact that sonnen has little choice but to fight while in it.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #27
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
I'v always thought Henderson was Andersons best win, the win over chael is probably Andy's most dramatic win... Sonnen is hyped up based on his losing performance to silva. but its understandable, he came very close to winning over one of the best fighters mma has ever produced. Hendersons standing however is based on real long time achievements, he keeps proving his worth as a top fighter, and ATG.

Hendo on paper, should have been the toughest fight in Andersons career according to the experts, but it wasnt. You probably dont remember the hype to that fight but I do. Many were picking Hendo by decision. Anderson already fought and beat sonnen who was doping anyway mostly the ones picking sonnen now are hoping he can win against the odds.

The flip side to it is that at the time, Anderson Silva wasn't yet Anderson Silva. He'd racked up what? Three? MW title defences so he was clearly more than legit, but he wasn't yet the seemingly invincible long-time champion and UFC #1 ATG that he was when Sonnen stepped into the cage with him. Hendo didn't know he was facing the UFC's greatest ever fighter. Sonnen did.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #28
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

The flip side to it is that at the time, Anderson Silva wasn't yet Anderson Silva. He'd racked up what? Three? MW title defences so he was clearly more than legit, but he wasn't yet the seemingly invincible long-time champion and UFC #1 ATG that he was when Sonnen stepped into the cage with him. Hendo didn't know he was facing the UFC's greatest ever fighter. Sonnen did.

wins over Leben, Frankin (for the belt), lutter, marquart and rematch with Franklin again. They were all early stoppages. Silva was absolutely dominant! this was Anderson Silva's great run which dominance wise kinda ended with Thales Leites, but really it was his fight with Maia that changed the most peoples position on Silva.

Many were calling silva the P4P best in the world by that time, I think much of it had to do with fedor being recognised by most of the MMA world as the best P4p fighter. I think Dana was the first to declare Silva the true P4P best in the world after his second fight with Rich Franklin. If Mr White was the first to claim that, it was smart on his part to place the spotlight more on his fighter (and ultimately the UFC) and take some shine off of Fedor. I thought it was ridiculous( I remember laughing when I first heard it) to claim Silva over Fedor at that time but thats another matter.

Last edited by yaca you; 06-26-2012 at 07:09 AM.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #29
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Says a lot for his career when you have to ask this question Jackass

Fight Jones you ****ing bitch
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
1) Is this the biggest fight of Anderson's career?

2) Was Sonnen 1 his greatest victory?

3) Is Chael Sonnen Anderson's greatest rival in his career?

4) If he loses a 5-0 decision, does it do much harm to Silva's legacy? Or is he too old for it to matter?

5) If he wins by KO in the 1st, does it do much good for Silva's legacy? Or is Sonnen too shit of an opponent for it to matter?

1) This is the most personal and meaningful to him, but not biggest in the MMA world. The Dan Henderson fight was.

2) No Dan Henderson was.

3) Yes.

4) Hit hurts his legacy yes. Doesn't erase all he's done though. And I would still have him as the best fighter ever.

5) It would enhance his legacy.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum