Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #46
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is this the biggest fight of Anderson's MMA career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I thought I said that Henderson is or would be one of the 3 best career wins for anyone.
Yes, but we are talking about Silva...either way it's a truthful statement

Quote:
I asked if it was the "biggest" fight of Anderson's career.

Objectively, the only way we can compare how big different fights are compared to each other, is by viewing figures.

Anderson-Hendo sold 325,000 PPVs.

Anderson-Sonnen 2 will do at least twice that.

Okay, that's not the be-all and end-all, but Sonnen 2 is definately the highest-profile fight in Anderson's career. Best opponent? No. But this fight is going to generate more attention that any of Anderson's other fights, and that by itself puts it very close to the top of the list for "biggest fight in his career." MMA fans know that the Hendo win was more meaningful in a historic sense. But this fight is bigger.
This is what I mean by arguing for arguing.
So basically we just have 2 different way to understanding the question...so from your angle yes it's the biggest Silva fight so far.

Quote:
Of course it was.

Hendo is a more historically-significant opponent. But the fight went like all Anderson's fights do. Easy early stoppage with little call or need for a rematch.

Sonnen, on the other hand, forced Anderson to show just how great an ATG he is, with his ability to pull an incredible win out of nowhere at the last minute while getting dominated. We hadn't seen Anderson getting owned before that. He showed that he's not a frontrunner, that he can win by stoppage at ANY time no matter what is happening in the fight. In short, Sonnen forced him to show us things we hadn't seen before. Henderson merely confirmed beyond doubt what we already knew - Anderson is an ATG who can comfortably beat up and defeat other ATGs.
Soo... ?

It's an nice arguement but like I said it doesn't mean anything for me.

Basically you are saying that it's the most significant fight because it prove Anderson can be beaten.

Correct ?

Quote:
Serra landed a lucky punch and had the balls and the presence of mind to immediately follow up on it and get the stoppage.

Chael spent 4 1/2 rounds abusing the UFC's #1 ATG who was fully conscious and clear-headed the entire time.
Yes, but both basically means the same thing, GSP can be beaten and Anderson can be beaten... !

Quote:
OK, but Sonnen DOES deserve a shot at the title.
Did I say the opposite...

....and I don't want to play the devils advocate but you can I both know he was given the Bisping fight so...does he really deserve a rematch for a stolen match ?

But yeah that rematch needed to happen !

Quote:
I'm not acknowledging your argument? How do you figure that, when I split up your posts and respond to them point by point? I'm not trashing you, I'm responding to what you have said.
I've got to admit this time it's gone well...but in the previous argument you just repeated your point over and over... !

Quote:
Silva is the one who insulted Maia. That fight is a shitstain on his legacy.
What happened during the fight yes, but he still got the W.

Maia is better the Sonnen IMO. So to say that Sonnen is a better win is insulting Maia...but I get your point.

Quote:
Well, the thread question was whether or not Sonnen 2 is the biggest fight of Anderson's career, for a start. And opinion is divided between Hendo and Sonnen 2.
I still pick the first Franklin fight for significance

Quote:
Plus, the significance of Sonnen 1 grows either way after the rematch.
Agreed

Quote:
If Silva wins easily, it'll show the heart and guts that an injured Anderson displayed in the unprecedented situation of getting dominated in a UFC fight and coming back with a miracle last-minute submission.

And if Sonnen wins, then clearly he's a stylistic nightmare for an ageing Anderson, and the last-gasp submission becomes more impressive in the context of Sonnen just plain being Silva's kryptonite.
Agreed

Quote:
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #47
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

I'm gonna assume sonnen isn't on roids this time around. HE IS ****ED
so that will be a big no.
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #48
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
Well Beouche you're in luck, they are allowing him to juice.

And Haggis' question(s) reminds me of something GSP said when I interviewed him last week. I asked him what to him was his greatest, most memorable fight and he said it was the second Matt Serra fight. Now no one would claim that Matt Serra is the greatest fighter GSP has defeated...hell you could make a very convincing case that he doesn't really belong in the top five...but the closet you get to a defining moment in GSP's career is in that match.

Silva vs. Sonnen II is like that, right down to the meaning of the match being tied up in the result of the first and the fallout that followed. Silva rescuing the fight showed he wasn't a frontrunner but could battle adversary and was the beginning of a renewed run of excellence. Sonnen's trashtalking and erratic behaviour has clearly angered Silva and helped make this the most anticipated fight of Silva's career in the USA. But don't let that obscure the fact that Sonnen has not done the things in his career that warrant him being ranked above Henderson, Franklin, Griffin or Belfort.

Its also worth being careful not to be too Anglo-centric in all this. When Silva retires as a mainstream celebrity in Brazil with a lifetime of blue chip products to endorse and a chain of martial arts schools to run its not going to be Chael Sonnen him and his management should be thanking. It'll be Vitor Belfort.
interesting post. I would think GSP's defining moment was Hughes 2. that was the fight that proved he was the best in the welterweight division. Even though he lost his next fight to Serra it was like the "passing of the torch" in the welter weight division.

where's your interview of GSP Mr. Cooling?
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #49
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBeast View Post
I'm gonna assume sonnen isn't on roids this time around. HE IS ****ED
so that will be a big no.
he is allowed take testosterone this time around so its actually the opposite
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #50
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
I ride Sonnen's nuts so hard that I pick Silva to beat him by stoppage in the rematch. And my scorecard had Chael losing to Bisping as well.

most people are picking silva and most had bisping winning that has nothing to do with your inability to get your mouth from his balls, so why do you ride dem nuts so bad
Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #51
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
most people are picking silva and most had bisping winning that has nothing to do with your inability to get your mouth from his balls, so why do you ride dem nuts so bad
He amuses me. He's not my favourite fighter, but I do find him to be one of the two or three most entertaining guys in the sport. And he's shortly to fight in the biggest match of the year, a rematch with a legend that has been building steam for two years.

When GSP comes back, you'll see me talk a lot more about GSP. When Jones-Hendo rolls around, I'll be starting Jones threads. At this point in time, it's all about Silva-Sonnen.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #52
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

MMA needs all kinds of personalities in the mix, to make the sport more interesting.

It needs gentleman fighters like GSP.

It needs douchebag jock bullies like Koscheck.

It needs intimidating foreigners like Thiago Silva.

It needs jovial foreigners like JDS.

It needs military guys like Stann.

It needs sullen street punks like Nick Diaz.

It needs God-fearin' redneck farmboys like Matt Hughes.

It needs tough nerds like Florian or Joe Lauzon.

And it needs the odd cartoonish villian, the big heel. You can't have the sport full of them, but you want the odd troll in the organization. Chael's just playing a character type. He found his niche, and he's the best at it. It's all part of the entertainment, and it makes the fight more interesting. Everything he says, he has to back it up in the cage. The buildup is more entertaining and the result is far more meaningful because of the trash talk.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #53
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

personally i think he is a juiced up twat who is not as funny as he makes out, most of his one liners are thought out months beforehand by other people
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #54
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
personally i think he is a juiced up twat who is not as funny as he makes out, most of his one liners are thought out months beforehand by other people
And I certainly can't tell you that you are full of shit for holding that opinion.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #55
RJJ's Jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1185

I think It is easily his biggest fight in terms of hype, financially and anticipation wise I don't think Anderson has been involved in a fight like this or for Chael for that matter. Of course there was a lot of hype and anticipation for the Vitor fight but significance wise I feel this rematch supersedes that fight It's up there with Chuck v Tito, Chuck vs Randy and most of Lesnar's fights in terms of capturing the public's interest.

Saying all that, It won't mean shit to Silva when Chael smashes him.
RJJ's Jab is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #56
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
And I certainly can't tell you that you are full of shit for holding that opinion.

it was on sherdog the other day, im trying to find the link for ya

it was basically some dude who was saying how he helps sonnen come up with all the funny shit, some of it just aint that funny though is it
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #57
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
reminds me of something GSP said when I interviewed him last week.
Awesome fella, surely that's thread worthy, or at least tell us where we can buy it
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #58
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Cheers Yaca You & Stoo; will be in the next issue of Fighting Spirit Magazine. The current one funnily enough has a long feature from me on Silva vs Sonnen
Will Cooling is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum