Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #121
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is sergio martinez the most athletic white boxer ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalBELL View Post
Do we have to argue about Ricky Hatton being white, No!

Do we have to argue about Kelly Pavlik being white, dont think so!

Do we have to argue about The Klitshkos being white, nope!

But if you have to argue about Sergio Martinez being white, than he obviously is not white.
We only have to argue about it because people in the United States are ****ing ignorant and uneducated on this issue. They associate Europeans of the Anglo culture as being white and that's it. WRONG! There are whites of the Latin culture, Middle Eastern culture, Mediterreannean culture, Slavic culture, etc.

Let me ask you this - if Sergio Martinez isn't white, then is Paulie Malignaggi? Because Paulie is several shades darker. But he's Italian so that's "white" and Sergio is from South America so he's a "person of color" right? Ugh...

You probably call Obama black don't you?

In regards to Latino/Hispanic ignorance, it's mainly due to the leaders of the USA - mostly the politicians. They target Latinos as a race to try to suck up votes. Its hilarious to hear some celebrity like Christina Aguilera call herself a "person of color" becacuse she's Hispanic and Anglo Americans buy into that because they've been trained to.
Montero is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #122
messi33a

vCash: 500

is that the really billy nelson
messi33a is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #123
messi33a

vCash: 500

we have to argue because of brainless insular americans like you,most argentinians have italian heritage,theyre white,im white anglo but im sure if i lived in argentina i would have a nice darker complexion,suppose if that happened i wouldnt be white anymore though eh.....yawn at americans an there lack of cultural or historical knowledge
messi33a is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #124
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

This topic again?

Race isn't real, it's socially constructed, so there's no need to separate terms like "race" and "ethnicity" as if they mean anything inherent.

He looks white, is of European ancestry, and is considered white in his own country. "Whiteness" changes its meaning in the United States and in a global context, where the cultural and social label for "white" is more strictly Eurocentric. Who does and doesn't get the benefits and treatments and cultural classification for whiteness largely depends on the social structure that surrounds them. Martinez is a White Latino, but to simply refer to him as white ignores key concepts of our social reality that indicate he's not entitled to the dominant cultural norm of the globe.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #125
daprofessor
da legendary professor
East Side Guru

1. isaac frost
2. rocky balboa
3. tommy gunn

lock it down.
daprofessor is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #126
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 115412

He is Hispanic....
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #127
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 115412

Roy Nelson!
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #128
southpaw1974
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montero View Post
We only have to argue about it because people in the United States are ****ing ignorant and uneducated on this issue. They associate Europeans of the Anglo culture as being white and that's it. WRONG! There are whites of the Latin culture, Middle Eastern culture, Mediterreannean culture, Slavic culture, etc.

Let me ask you this - if Sergio Martinez isn't white, then is Paulie Malignaggi? Because Paulie is several shades darker. But he's Italian so that's "white" and Sergio is from South America so he's a "person of color" right? Ugh...

You probably call Obama black don't you?

In regards to Latino/Hispanic ignorance, it's mainly due to the leaders of the USA - mostly the politicians. They target Latinos as a race to try to suck up votes. Its hilarious to hear some celebrity like Christina Aguilera call herself a "person of color" becacuse she's Hispanic and Anglo Americans buy into that because they've been trained to.
Amen brother and I'm American! I started this thread because I am one of the few Americans who has actually travelled around the world, isn't ignorant about race and is able to distinguish between race, ethnicity, and culture.
southpaw1974 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #129
southpaw1974
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8te View Post
listen, you arent the end all be all on race. the fact that so many people have contrasting opinions in this thread does nothing but lend to the erratic changeability of racial identification. there is no across the board understanding of racial identity, and for anyone to believe that he has mostly european blood based on his looks alone is preposterous. skin color is not the sole determining factor in someone's origin, and every other potential factor in the form of physical traits is unreliable due to a wide range of variations that undoubtedly exist, in small or high number, across races. "pure race" huh?
The "contrasting opinions" are based on igorance and nothing more. I didn't characterize him as "white" solely based on his appearance ---I actually researched his background and read that he was of Greek and Spanish decent. The last time I checked, Greece and Spain were in Europe and thus he is white. When I wrote "pure race" I was referring to the three distinct racial groups "caucasoid", "negroid" and "mongoloid". Very few people are 100% pure anything but those are the three distinct races.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #130
southpaw1974
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
He is Hispanic....
Have you not learned ANYTHING from this thread?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #131
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw1974 View Post
Amen brother and I'm American! I started this thread because I am one of the few Americans who has actually travelled around the world, isn't ignorant about race and is able to distinguish between race, ethnicity, and culture.
I think this type of threads will just allow morons to split hairs in four and from the beginning i expected a torrent of inculture to flow. But that's fine, Sergio is a latino del barrio, he's not white, and Argentinians descend from Aztecs like Mexicans...

Last edited by Cletis VanDamme; 06-27-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Cletis VanDamme is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #132
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru

Quote:
The "contrasting opinions" are based on igorance and nothing more. I didn't characterize him as "white" solely based on his appearance ---I actually researched his background and read that he was of Greek and Spanish decent. The last time I checked, Greece and Spain were in Europe and thus he is white. When I wrote "pure race" I was referring to the three distinct racial groups "caucasoid", "negroid" and "mongoloid". Very few people are 100% pure anything but those are the three distinct races.
sure bro
m8te is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #133
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru

race only exists socially, scientifically it's a very fuzzy concept at best.
m8te is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #134
Sinew
The Assassin
ESB Addict

Location: NJ; training to be a supreme fighter, clashing bone and sinew

Quote:

those three are the only . everyone else is a mixture of the three.
Sinew is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #135
southpaw1974
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis VanDamme View Post
I think this type of threads will just allow morons to split hairs in four and from the beginning i expected a torrent of inculture to flow. But that's fine, Sergio is a latino del barrio, he's not white, and Argentinians descend from Aztecs as Mexicans...
You're right. I'm beginning to lose hope in humanity.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum