Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: How Would Alis PunchPower (Or Lack Of) Affect Him if He Was Fighting In The 90s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Using that Lewiston fight as an example is not that sound though. That fight had has alot of questions surrounding it. Even if that kd was on the up and up Sonny got up and continued fighting before they eventually stopped it.

Anyway. I agree with what most are saying. Ali had enough pop to get the room he wanted to box. He stopped many fighters on accumulation of punches. He peppered guys.
I dont use that fight as an examples of Sonnys chin at all, but its very stupid to come and say he had a better chin than anyone in the 90s including Tyson, Holyfield, Mercer, Mcall and Tua
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #32
Sangria
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: How Would Alis PunchPower (Or Lack Of) Affect Him if He Was Fighting In The 90s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchamp View Post
Well Foreman once claimed that Muhammad Ali's power was on par with that of Evander Holyfield so If we take him at his word then it's safe to say that he would do just fine.

The Larger issue is the assumption that punchers are more dangerous than boxers when history has taught us again and again that couldn't be further from the truth.

For instance, if you did a round robin tournament with every lineal Heavyweight Champion participating and you included David Tua and Chris Byrd, who would would fare better?

Byrd or Tua?

It's funny because I did a thread a while back talking about this very issue; do fighters get more credit for beating the big and strong Goliath over beating the slick and cagey David?

If you read between the lines long enough, you'll begin to notice that it's the accepted logic. The 90s was loaded with punchers and IMO that is precisely why we see Lennox Lewis rated as high as he is today; because he's beaten quite a few punchers. No mention of the fact that he blatantly ducked Chris Byrd, simply because he's not a perceived threat.
I believe the uneducated fans tend to get enamored with the punchers. I knew I did when I was younger. How could Young beat Foreman? 40 year old Holmes beat a Mercer who destroyed Tommy Morrison? Like you said, the boxers are not perceived as being dangerous. It's the punchers who get the highlight reels and excitement from the fans

Good to see you pop up from time to time Ironchamp! Try to post more often if you can.
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #33
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
I dont use that fight as an examples of Sonnys chin at all, but its very stupid to come and say he had a better chin than anyone in the 90s including Tyson, Holyfield, Mercer, Mcall and Tua
Nobody had a better chin than Mercer. His chin was on par with Tyson. I dont know about better. They both took a helluva shot and both could be KOd.
ETM is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #34
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052 View Post
Great post - I was actually going to use Holyfield as the example to prove the point, as I don't think he hit much harder than Ali did (if at all) and still had a ton of success at the world level.

You also nailed it that people tend to overrate punchers as opposed to boxers. A guy like Byrd or Tunney is a tougher out, but doesn't merit the fanfare of beating bigger punchers. I'd have liked to have seen Byrd-Lewis just to see how Lennox would've handled it.

Re. Lewis-Byrd - I actually see Byrd building up a slim points lead,frustrating Lewis with his speed. Only until Lennox catches up with him,and then Chris gets kayoed !
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum