Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Where should Ken Overlin Rank For ATG MW's?

I'm wondering people rank Ken Overlin.

MW has such depth historically and im genuinely wondering if one of the many Hopkins is a ATG proponents could make a case for Hopkins being greater than guys like Overlin, Yarosz, Apostoli, Giardello who usually aren't even mentioned in the top 10.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where should Ken Overlin Rank For ATG MW's?

He was great.

He held a version of the world championship, and was white, which isn't exactly a fashionable way for a 1930s - '40s middleweight to be remembered.
I daresay he ducked Earl Hines and Duke Ellington, but he was still great.
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where should Ken Overlin Rank For ATG MW's?

I get what you're saying but how can you be objective and even try to compare Hopkins resume to Overlin's?

Ezzard
Apostoli
Garcia
Hostak
Soose (should be a W)
Belloise
DeJohn
Brown
Seelig
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where should Ken Overlin Rank For ATG MW's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
I get what you're saying but how can you be objective and even try to compare Hopkins resume to Overlin's?

Ezzard
Apostoli
Garcia
Hostak
Soose (should be a W)
Belloise
DeJohn
Brown
Seelig

I wouldn't compare them.
I can't even remember many who Hopkins beat at MW.
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where should Ken Overlin Rank For ATG MW's?

Hard to gauge Ken
He only laid off the sauce and trained properly for Cefereno Garcia and was masterful
taking the title. Had Nat Fleischer comparing him to the old masters.
His 2 losses to Billy Soose were both total robberies.
On the other hand he admitted Teddy Yarosz owned him.

Last edited by SLAKKA; 06-27-2012 at 02:09 PM.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: All up in Djibouti
Posts: 10,852
vCash: 75
Default Re: Where should Ken Overlin Rank For ATG MW's?

That generation of Middleweights tends to get underrated in the grand scheme of things for some reason, which is criminal considering that period was one of the deepest the division's ever seen. I think one of the problems is there was so much talent there that nobody could stay on top for any considerable length of time, and qualified black contenders didn't get the chance- not that I think any of them would've had the title for any considerable length of time had they won it, either.

The division was s-t-a-c-k-e-d. Overlin was one of a number of great fighters.

And no, Hopkins doesn't have near the success if that's the climate he's fighting in.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where should Ken Overlin Rank For ATG MW's?

Ken Overlin was a great middleweight, in a deep talented era of middleweights...He was called "the poor man's Harry greb" by some because of his somewhat style, but he remarked to this comparison, "i'm convinced Harry Greb would have beaten me and my top contender, both in the same night, with no rest in between ". Heady words about the great Harry Greb, by a great middleweight himself, Ken Overlin...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where should Ken Overlin Rank For ATG MW's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052 View Post
That generation of Middleweights tends to get underrated in the grand scheme of things for some reason, which is criminal considering that period was one of the deepest the division's ever seen. I think one of the problems is there was so much talent there that nobody could stay on top for any considerable length of time, and qualified black contenders didn't get the chance- not that I think any of them would've had the title for any considerable length of time had they won it, either.

The division was s-t-a-c-k-e-d. Overlin was one of a number of great fighters.

And no, Hopkins doesn't have near the success if that's the climate he's fighting in.
If you're going by a decade time frame what do you think are the srongest era's for MW. In my mind i would say the years would roughly break down into

1915-1925
1932-1942
1985-1995

I don't think 50's MW's had as much class as the first two golden era's.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: All up in Djibouti
Posts: 10,852
vCash: 75
Default Re: Where should Ken Overlin Rank For ATG MW's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
If you're going by a decade time frame what do you think are the srongest era's for MW. In my mind i would say the years would roughly break down into

1915-1925
1932-1942
1985-1995

I don't think 50's MW's had as much class as the first two golden era's.
I think those top 3 are fine choices- I usually use the more convenient decade rankings and wind up going with the 20's, 30's, and 40's, but picking out the individual years like you did gives a better overlap.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013