Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000
Default Any downsides to intervals first thing in the morning?

I'm just looking to lose a bit of fat, so I get up a bit early a few times during the week and do some tabata sprints (not many, I'm ****ed after about 6). Just wondered if I'm alright doing this without any breakfast, seeing as normally people only recommend light cardio during a fasted period. I also do a few rounds on my heavybag when I get home from work, and that's another 4/5 hours since I've eaten.

Any other tips would be good as well. Cheers.
Rakim is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Any downsides to intervals first thing in the morning?

You'll negate any strength work you're doing by doing that. I don't really understand why you'd be doing this? Weight's gained or lost at the dinner table, intense cardio work increases the amount of amino acids you burn for fuel, especially when energy stores are low. If you're trying to increase fitness then you want your efforts to be high quality.
You need a good metabolism to burn fat, what you're planning to do is only going to have a negative effect on that. I just don't understand the rationale for this at all.
Also what do you mean by 6 tabata sprints? Do you mean 6 x 4 minute rounds? If you can do that many you're not doing them right, it should be one and done.
On another note I don't like 'tabata' exercise, why don't you just call it interval training (that's what it is) and suit your interval training to your needs.
It's amazing how people can just jump on a name and think that it's a specific type of training that has incredible benefits. The amount of times I hear 'have you heard of this type of training, it's called tabata'... it really shits me.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Fasted cardio isn't going to yield any magic results, at all.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It sounds tremendously unpleasant.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

In THEORY you will burn more muscle.
In Reality it will be harder because you obviously have less energy meaning you will do less. But if fatloss is your priority then try it and then you'll know what happens.
Going off on a side note but here theres a thread about tim bradley fasting before camp with a **** loads of posters saying its stupid theres no benifits etc and science supports that but A, the guys in great shape and B, he performed the best he ever has so try it and if it works good. If not you now know.
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
Rakim
Captain ****wit

****'s sake. When I asked about losing fat last time around the two recommendations I got were light, fasted cardio, and sprint interval training (HIIT).

I've combined the two for a super fat burning workout the likes of which the world has never seen, then you cunts come along and piss all over my ****ing chips.

Let's start again then. What's the best way to lose fat and get fit without negating any strength I'm getting from my pullups and dips?
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
boy-wonder
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
****'s sake. When I asked about losing fat last time around the two recommendations I got were light, fasted cardio, and sprint interval training (HIIT).

I've combined the two for a super fat burning workout the likes of which the world has never seen, then you cunts come along and piss all over my ****ing chips.

Let's start again then. What's the best way to lose fat and get fit without negating any strength I'm getting from my pullups and dips?
your best bet is to seek professional help not over the internet.
hey, i think the previous poster said it right in saying that you should listen to your own body. and over time, you will be able to figure out which foods and routines help you to maximize.

i wake up at 5 am to do run. i eat 2 bananas and a glass of milk, then 30 minutes later i have enough energy to do a good run.

after wards, i rehydrate with coconut water with my branch chain aminco acid supplement.

when i get to work around 9 am, i have either fruits, quinoa salad, bulgar wheat salad and/or oatmeal w/ milk - depends on the day or what mood i am in.

lunch consists of brown rice with some sort of meat. every once in a while to maintian my sanity, i eat some junk.

late afternoon, before the gym, i will eat a portion of pasta or eat some more fruits again, or nuts. if i feel dehydrated, i down some more coconut water.

then i hit the gym, i get home around 9 pm. i eat a medium dinner which is rather late, but this is my specific schedule that i have to follow.

i usually go to bed between 11 and 12.
boy-wonder is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

So many folk sweat on the minutae.

Just do what you can when you can, enjoy it, and make your progress.

Good luck with your training.

(Cue all the 'scientists'.. )
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Broxi
Me Whee!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3681

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
In THEORY you will burn more muscle.
In Reality it will be harder because you obviously have less energy meaning you will do less. But if fatloss is your priority then try it and then you'll know what happens.
Going off on a side note but here theres a thread about tim bradley fasting before camp with a **** loads of posters saying its stupid theres no benifits etc and science supports that but A, the guys in great shape and B, he performed the best he ever has so try it and if it works good. If not you now know.
I live by this mantra, so much conflicting bullshit out there, I take ideas, try them for a few weeks, see how it affects "my" body and if it works, use it or develop it.

I personally see nothing wrong with sprints in the morning before breakfast, if you feel you have adequate energy sources to complete the training, then that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post

Exactly mate, I sometimes despair at this forum, you always get someone who has just read some new paper or article and is now on a crusade to spread this truth far and wide. Regardless of whether it actually fits the topic at hand.

Smith (from here) was discussing Martin Berkhans "Intermittent Fasting" Leangains approach in MrSmalls thread the other week, it seems to be gaining a lot of fans in the fitness world, so it may be worth looking into. The claims are that you can cut, even to those last few percent of bodyfat (like 5-6% zone) without losing strength.

I'm trying it over the next 3 weeks, end of week 1 right now and I feel great, tons of energy and I've lost a few lbs this week already.

I think in the end it comes down to
a) finding the right macro split and calorie intake to suit your body and training
b) consistency
c) discipline

Some people can "watch what they eat", which basically means not eat crisps and chocolate after dinner for a couple of weeks and lose a 14lbs in weight, others have to train consistently and actually watch what they eat meaning, monitoring calorie intake, food types and the macros to lose 7lbs.

Some can have a half hearted **** around in the gym every other day and see good gains, others have to work hard month on month to see any significant gains. Everyone is different and I'm always cynical of anyone who claims to have the one size fits all magic bullet.
Broxi is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxi View Post
I live by this mantra, so much conflicting bullshit out there, I take ideas, try them for a few weeks, see how it affects "my" body and if it works, use it or develop it.

I personally see nothing wrong with sprints in the morning before breakfast, if you feel you have adequate energy sources to complete the training, then that's all that matters.

Exactly mate, I sometimes despair at this forum, you always get someone who has just read some new paper or article and is now on a crusade to spread this truth far and wide. Regardless of whether it actually fits the topic at hand.

Smith (from here) was discussing Martin Berkhans "Intermittent Fasting" Leangains approach in MrSmalls thread the other week, it seems to be gaining a lot of fans in the fitness world, so it may be worth looking into. The claims are that you can cut, even to those last few percent of bodyfat (like 5-6% zone) without losing strength.

I'm trying it over the next 3 weeks, end of week 1 right now and I feel great, tons of energy and I've lost a few lbs this week already.

a) finding the right macro split and calorie intake to suit your body and training
b) consistency
c) discipline

Some people can "watch what they eat", which basically means not eat crisps and chocolate after dinner for a couple of weeks and lose a 14lbs in weight, others have to train consistently and actually watch what they eat meaning, monitoring calorie intake, food types and the macros to lose 7lbs.

Some can have a half hearted **** around in the gym every other day and see good gains, others have to work hard month on month to see any significant gains. Everyone is different and I'm always cynical of anyone who claims to have the one size fits all magic bullet.
**** me, this post seems far too sensible and reasoned for this forum. Surely something wrong here?

Well said mate. You have to find your own way in the world, and that means trying things out for yourself, not relying always on what other folk say..
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Rakim
Captain ****wit

Quote:

b) consistency
c) discipline

Brilliant post.

I saw Smith banging on about his fasting routine but I couldn't go that long without eating during the day. A lot of the time I don't even eat because I'm hungry, it's because I'm bored or just fancy some crisps/chocolate. It's like a ****ing hobby for me.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This whole fasted cardio obsession I'm seeing everywhere is pretty comical. Look, the point of HIIT is to improve performance, fat loss is a nice by-product. Fasted cardio is for those models/bodybuilders looking for that extra low body fat level for a photo shoot or competition. You as a gym rat or athlete (particularly athletes) have no good reason to starve yourself as extremely low body fat levels shouldn't be any concern of yours.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'm no expert, but I've lost about 30 pounds since starting boxing in January. And I didn't start doing any exercise outside of the boxing gym til about a month ago. I've researched a good amount of different new and old exercise/diet methods and protein:carb:fat ratios and what not, but it became too much of a hassle to try and keep up with everything (for me at least). In the end I just stuck to eating a few select healthy meals that I actually enjoyed eating, limited myself to 1-2 cheat days a week, and gradually increased my time spent in the gym. I weigh myself once every week or so, and I've consistently lost 1-2 pounds each time I step on the scale. Not sure how much longer I can or want to continue this trend though.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Interval training in the morning is popular where I live, plenty of 'boot camp' classes and such. I wouldn't do it on an empty stomach, something light in your guts won't negate good tough work. Sprinting will enhance athleticism it shouldn't negate strength training by much if any at all.

I would just sign up at a gym and follow a standard routine. Forget all the functional training unless you want serious performance for sport. That's basically what these tough regimes are intended for. Get into the lat pulldowns, chest presses, cable rows, bicep curls (GASP). Tricep extensions and so on etc etc. great results for everyday performance and aesthetic
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

b) consistency
c) discipline

That's a superb post Broxi.Well done mate.
You should change your name to Hoopy.
PityTheFool is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing