Old 06-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default local Heavies?

what do u guys think?

leapai?

was obvious to most that choosing to fight johnson was the worst stylistically opponent to fight at this stage. yes he could have been lucky to land a bomb and ko him, but there were way better highly ranked guys to choose from imo to make a statement.
but huge credit for stepping into the big league and giving it his best.
can still claim a big scalp on his day.

meehan?

was clearly in his worse physical shape than any other fight vs walker, he had a beer-belly even. was dominating up until walker landed the first big shot.
kali's lack of fitness failed him terribly to be able to defend himself and make travis unable to tee off on him like that, and paid the price for it.

if he is able to train properly, i'd like to see fight one of the up and coming contenders like pianeta or hamer etc. who may just underestimate him a little.
or vs david price for commonwealth title.

welliver?

hard to find excuses for this loss to sherman tbh. probably just beaten by the better fighter, that's all.
u could say that williams clearly had plenty of ability and was a bit of a smokey despite his age, but its a realiity check as far as his position in the ability rankings.

de mori?

who the **** knows? when he steps in the ring with a fighter with ability, we will see what he's got. until then talk and muscles mean nothing.

haumono?

outside of meehan (who won't be fighting for too much longer anyway), i think solomon has the most ability, but lacks mongrel or hunger sometimes. with a great preparation, i think he could beat a number of high ranked fighters. his power and accuracy can claim a big scalp if he pulls his finger out.

he needs to aim for a contender and take little money if that's what it takes. if he trains like its a world title fight, then he should be ready to give it his best shot.

Last edited by buster007; 06-29-2012 at 03:52 AM.
buster007 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Totalpac
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: local Heavies?

Leapai

Still a huge threat to anyone he fights who gets caught up in a slug fest. Interested to see what road he takes once he heals

Meehan

I think might be done. Was always slated to be on the Cameron card and after his loss I am sure still could have been if he was interested. Not sure of his future.

Welliver

As sad as it is, that loss sets him back a lot. Worked hard to get in the position he is and once little slip will hurt.

Demori

Everyone knows what I think

Haumono

If he took it seriously, would be great for the Aussie HW scene. Not sure he will though

You forget Browne?

Well positioned to with his recent UK exposure. Trains like a pro and I think is starting to treat this is a profession. In a great place to string a few more fights together internationally, which if you want to make a splash and get a name is where you have to be. Best position of the heavies (excluding Mark) at the moment to get international recognition.
Totalpac is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
bruiserh

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalpac View Post
Leapai

Still a huge threat to anyone he fights who gets caught up in a slug fest. Interested to see what road he takes once he heals

Meehan

I think might be done. Was always slated to be on the Cameron card and after his loss I am sure still could have been if he was interested. Not sure of his future.

Welliver

As sad as it is, that loss sets him back a lot. Worked hard to get in the position he is and once little slip will hurt.

Demori

Everyone knows what I think

Haumono

If he took it seriously, would be great for the Aussie HW scene. Not sure he will though

You forget Browne?

Well positioned to with his recent UK exposure. Trains like a pro and I think is starting to treat this is a profession. In a great place to string a few more fights together internationally, which if you want to make a splash and get a name is where you have to be. Best position of the heavies (excluding Mark) at the moment to get international recognition.
Well there you go. A moment of lucidity from a fan boy? Perhaps it is possible. Good synopsis. I'd only ask why you think its only of late that Browne has treated boxing like a profession? I know Browne trains out of the same camp as De Mori which you're close to.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster007 View Post
what do u guys think?

leapai?

was obvious to most that choosing to fight johnson was the worst stylistically opponent to fight at this stage. yes he could have been lucky to land a bomb and ko him, but there were way better highly ranked guys to choose from imo to make a statement.

meehan?

was clearly in his worse physical shape than any other fight vs walker, he had a beer-belly even. was dominating up until walker landed the first big shot.
kali's lack of fitness failed him terribly to be able to defend himself and make travis unable to tee off on him like that, and paid the price for it.

if he is able to train properly, i'd like to see fight one of the up and coming contenders like pianeta or hamer etc. who may just underestimate him a little.
or vs david price for commonwealth title.

welliver?

hard to find excuses for this loss to sherman tbh. probably just beaten by the better fighter, that's all.
u could say that williams clearly had plenty of ability and was a bit of a smokey despite his age, but its a realiity check as far as his position in the ability rankings.

de mori?

who the **** knows? when he steps in the ring with a fighter with ability, we will see what he's got. until then talk and muscles mean nothing.

haumono?

outside of meehan (who won't be fighting for too much longer anyway), i think solomon has the most ability, but lacks mongrel or hunger sometimes. with a great preparation, i think he could beat a number of high ranked fighters. his power and accuracy can claim a big scalp if he pulls his finger out.

he needs to aim for a contender and take little money if that's what it takes. if he trains like its a world title fight, then he should be ready to give it his best shot.
Pretty good summary. Saved me a lot of typing

I like the look of Lucas Browne too. Though we'll know more about him when he progresses to a better level of opponent.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Totalpac
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wouldn't say Mark & Browne train out of the same camp. Just got a couple of sparring sessions together against each other & Browne was going to be on Marks card s Alexander.

Have never spoken face to face with Browne, just say he's taking it more seriously IMO as he seems to have moved on from MMA/Kickboxing etc & committed to taking some boxing fights overseas and had an Aussie boxing HW title. Haven't heard of any rumors of him going back to MMA and there have been 3 local MMA shows put on over the past 6 months, so thought his name would be mentioned if he was going that route.

As I said, pure speculation on my part.
Totalpac is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

demori has nothin. challenge leapai.....what?....i hear crickets?

the sarg lets u use the office pc ippy, only if youre real nice eh?

who youthink youre kiddin ippy. you know its against the rulesto have an extra alias on here...dont you. no laws broken though. you comfortable with that?
swingin is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
bruiserh

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalpac View Post
Wouldn't say Mark & Browne train out of the same camp. Just got a couple of sparring sessions together against each other & Browne was going to be on Marks card s Alexander.

Have never spoken face to face with Browne, just say he's taking it more seriously IMO as he seems to have moved on from MMA/Kickboxing etc & committed to taking some boxing fights overseas and had an Aussie boxing HW title. Haven't heard of any rumors of him going back to MMA and there have been 3 local MMA shows put on over the past 6 months, so thought his name would be mentioned if he was going that route.

As I said, pure speculation on my part.
I only thought you were talking about boxing when you said Browne taking 'this' seriously. I was just curious because I hadnt seen any indication he wasnt taking the boxing seriously at any point.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Quote:
what do u guys think?

leapai?

Alex has done alright, but he's very limited, and IMO he won't get any further than he has. Well done for having a pretty good go.

meehan?

Kali is nearly toast I'd say, based on his last fight he doesn't seem as interested as he could be.
Still very dangerous for any OZ HW, and maybe still our best if he gets back in shape.
But it's unlikely he will.

welliver?

Tend to agree.

de mori?

Bit of a dark horse, has more potential, but when will we see it?

haumono?

Tend to agree.
I'll also add that I'd really like to see Ben Edwards give boxing a real go.
I think he could shake up the OZ scene and become our best.

Browne also has good potential.

I personally feel none of them will do anything of significance on the world stage.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

browne is gone, and won't be in any rankings in future so it would appear. he is merely fighting bums to look good and create a buzz so he can make some cash, so forget about him imo.

edwards will never get in shape cause he is far too content doing things the way he always has.

he has far less skill than alex. he's just a slugger who hopes to bombard his opponent as quickly as possible and finish the fight early.

still worth watching him fight though.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Quote:
edwards will never get in shape cause he is far too content doing things the way he always has.

he has far less skill than alex. he's just a slugger who hopes to bombard his opponent as quickly as possible and finish the fight early.

still worth watching him fight though.
Ben doesn't look like he's in shape, but he had no problem taking Kirby to a 10rd draw.

As for skill, he's probably not far behind Alex, as Alex doesn't have a lot of skill. He does have determination and a pretty good chin though.

Ben is a tough boy, and could do very well if he put his mind to it.
I think he'd handle Alex with the right training.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
Ned Kelly
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Alex more skilled? Alex has little to no head movement and throws looping punches. His footwork is also non existent.
Ned Kelly is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
Alex more skilled? Alex has little to no head movement and throws looping punches. His footwork is also non existent.
Such is life.
old man is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #13
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
he is still more skilled. edwards just throws haymakers until either he or his opponent drops.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #14
boxoncottonon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 850

[quote=buster007;13220813]
welliver?

u could say that williams clearly had plenty of ability and was a bit of a smokey despite his age, but its a realiity check as far as his position in the ability rankings.[quote]

Welliver has never fought in this country (let's not forget we are a continent)....why would he be on your list of "local Heavies"?
boxoncottonon is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=boxoncottonon;13227986][quote=buster007;13220813]
welliver?

Quote:

Welliver has never fought in this country (let's not forget we are a continent)....why would he be on your list of "local Heavies"?
hi there nitpick.

local could mean suburb, state or country.

clearly local meant australasia, oceanic, etc. etc. if chubby checkers name was included.

is that ok with u nitpick?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum