Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Who is under more pressure to win?
Anderson Silva 19 76.00%
Chael Sonnen 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Who is under more pressure to win - Silva or Sonnen?

Silva has an entire country waiting for him to shut this asshole up once and for all. If Sonnen beats him, Anderson will lose face in his homeland. He also knows that whichever way this fight goes, it will have a big impact on how his career is remembered. But he does have the security of knowing that he's a top-3 ATG regardless of what happens.

Sonnen knows that Silva was below-par the first time, and he likely doesn't feel as physically strong as he did. Because of the roids. He knows that Silva is by far the best fighter he's ever faced, and he knows that if he doesn't back up his talk and gets KOed early then he's going to look like a chump in MMA history.

But which of the two has more pressure on him to win?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: Who is under more pressure to win - Silva or Sonnen?

Anderson, if Sonnen beats him will be a disaster and will mark negativaly his legacy forever.....
If Sonnen lose....again.....everything will be normal....wonīt change nothing for him..
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Anderson, if Sonnen beats him will be a disaster and will mark negativaly his legacy forever.....
If Sonnen lose....again.....everything will be normal....wonīt change nothing for him..
What do you think the reaction will be like in Brazil if Anderson gets shut out 5-0?

And you're right, a guy on Sonnen's level shouldn't be expected to beat a gold-plated p4p ATG like Anderson. But Sonnen's mouth has painted him into a corner to such an extent that he HAS to win, or else he'll be the butt of jokes in the MMA community for the rest of his life. He'll be a cautionary tale to fighters about running their mouths and getting owned because of it.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
What do you think the reaction will be like in Brazil if Anderson gets shut out 5-0?

And you're right, a guy on Sonnen's level shouldn't be expected to beat a gold-plated p4p ATG like Anderson. But Sonnen's mouth has painted him into a corner to such an extent that he HAS to win, or else he'll be the butt of jokes in the MMA community for the rest of his life. He'll be a cautionary tale to fighters about running their mouths and getting owned because of it.

Hmm, I donīt know, I think people watching will be a bit disappointed if Anderson doesnīt finish Sonnen with a ko or a submission(again)......
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #5
The Spider

vCash:

Both will come to win, and a loss to either will be extremely disappointing, bordering disasterous.

The stakes are the same for each of them.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Both will come to win, and a loss to either will be extremely disappointing, bordering disasterous.

The stakes are the same for each of them.
But more disastrous for whom? They are not in the same boat.

Anderson is far more secure in his legacy. Plus he is 37 years old and a fighter whose game is based around fast, precise striking.

Chael knows that if he loses then in all likelihood he will never be the champion, and all the boasts will have come to nothing. I think more pressure is on his shoulders.

In the short term there is maybe more pressure on Anderson. But from a long-term perspective, I think that Sonnen has more on the line.

Last edited by Haggis McJackass; 07-01-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

^^I disagree.

Millions of Brazilians want Anderson Silva to bring home the head of Chael Sonnen. AS got dominated for 23 1/2 minutes, and has looked spectacular against every other opponent over the past few years. The insults against his wife, countrymen, etc.. Not to mention he is the P4P King, and arguably GOAT.

Silva got put on his ass at will, pounded, and dropped from a straight punch once, maybe twice. I think all these factors outweigh anything Chael Sonnen could be experiencing inside..
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
But more disastrous for whom? They are not in the same boat.

Anderson is far more secure in his legacy. Plus he is 37 years old and a fighter whose game is based around fast, precise striking.

Chael knows that if he loses then he will in all likelihood never be the champion, and all the boasts will have come to nothing. I think more pressure is on his shoulders.

Winning this fight is more about pride than legacy, titles or money. That's why the stakes are about the same for both.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:17 AM   #9
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Silva... Sonnen just lost to Micky B and lost to The Spider last time.

The pressure is all on Andy...

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #10
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
^^I disagree.

Millions of Brazilians want Anderson Silva to bring home the head of Chael Sonnen. AS got dominated for 23 1/2 minutes, and has looked spectacular against every other opponent over the past few years. Not to mention the insults against his wife, countrymen, etc.

Silva got put on his ass at will, pounded, and dropped from a straight punch once, maybe twice. I think these reasons alone far outweigh any performance anxiety Chael Sonnen might be having.
Certainly that could be very true.

That's one of the many interesting things about this fight. Who knows how the hype will affect Anderson? Is his uncharacteristic outburst last week a sign that he has been mentally thrown off balance? What will that turn him into in the cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Winning this fight is more about pride than legacy, titles or money. That's why the stakes are about the same for both.

I think for Chael a lot of it is about the money and title and legacy. He doesn't have those things like Anderson does, and he wants them BAD.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the fight happens on their feet. Chael has underrated boxing. His chin is solid and he's aggressive. Last time he got the better of Anderson in the few striking exchanges he allowed to happen. But I don't think he's keen to stand in front of the guy.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:
Certainly that could be very true.

That's one of the many interesting things about this fight. Who knows how the hype will affect Anderson? Is his uncharacteristic outburst last week a sign that he has been mentally thrown off balance? What will that turn him into in the cage?
Even still, I can only imagine immense pressure for both.

As well as Sonnen did in the 1st fight, no way is he happy with that performance.. Changing levels, GnP, a knockdown or two. But, he came up short. 2 years later, another golden opportunity only to come up short again? That would get anyone's adrenaline flowing.

I'm starting to think Sonnen could be feeling just as much pressure going into this fight, I'm almost certain. Thing is, Chael Sonnen is probably better at hiding his emotions
Old 07-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Dammit, Haggis.

Like always, these topics, and the responses you give, make it even harder to make up my own mind.. Good thread.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #13
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
Even still, I can only imagine immense pressure for both.

As well as Sonnen did in the 1st fight, no way is he happy with that performance.. Changing levels, GnP, a knockdown or two. But, he came up short. 2 years later, another golden opportunity only to come up short again? That would get anyone's adrenaline flowing.

I'm starting to think Sonnen could be feeling just as much pressure going into this fight, I'm almost certain. Thing is, Chael Sonnen is probably better at hiding his emotions
Sonnen's not quite the fool he'd have people believe, and could only have been happy with his performance in the first bout. That is up until the moment Spider finished him any way.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
don owens
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

War sonnen.
don owens is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

don owens
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum