Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Marvin Hagler vs. Roy Jones

Who would win? Hagler is Hagler of course, although I'm inclined to favor Roy. He did pretty good at HW (Ruiz, Tarver the first time). I'm not sure Hagler would as well. In a picture with Foreman, Marv practically looked like a midget.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500
Default Re: Marvin Hagler vs. Roy Jones

Style wise terrible match up for Hagler.

Jones WU15 (9-6)

But I take Hagler to be a lot more competitve in a rematch

Hagler WS15 (8-7)
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

great tough match.

jones has great speed/agility with power with a great chin.

hagler has aggresiveness, great punching power(although not 1 punch ko power) but great strength, AN IRON CHIN (has never been knocked out) his 3 losses were decisions.

i would give hagler the victory, Hagler UD 12th round.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
hopkinsfan07
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1305

hagler would ko him late in a good match
hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Roy was a little green and inexperienced @ 160.

He would be bigger @ 160 than someone like Hagler, and he had his incredible speed and unpredictable style. But he didn't have his experience against lefties until later. He'd still give Hagler problems, Marvin might have to go back to the attacking style he did against Hearns instead of his usual patient, boxer-puncher style.

This is a tough matchup.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Hagler's southpaw jab and ability to withstand whatever RJJ sends his way would be the deciding factor, but in a close decision.

Hagler SD 15 RJJ
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

If Hagler can deal with RJJ's power, which I personally am sure he would be able to do, he'd get Roy late, peak for peak.

But Hagler would need his peak.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

I'd go for Hagler late. While Jones did have blinding handspeed, not too sure its in a different league when comparing it to Hearns' speed at middleweight. But Jones certainly would not put all his eggs in one basket like Hearns did against Hagler. A much cuter approach would obviously serve Jones better. Jones going inside trading with the Marvelous one is suicide.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Mike South
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

The Roy Jones Jr that made a 28 year old Bernard Hopkins and a prime James Toney look like a couple of statues would have no difficulty with Hagler. Jones UD.
Mike South is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
Mike South
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Don't be ridiculous. For one, that wasn't a prime Hopkins, and the fight was not a blowout at all, it was much closer than most make it seem, not a dominating performance at all, just a clear points win. Toney was badly weight drained and not in top shape for his fight with Jones. Not saying Toney would've ever won, but he would've likely done better than he did there. And Hagler is better than both of the above, and Jones was able to do so well against Toney because a couter-puncher like Toney was unable to deal with Jones speed, but Hagler was different. It would be a close fight, toss up really as to how it goes down.
I didn't say a prime Hopkins. I said a 28 year old Hopkins. I have this fight and I watch it every so often - I am not as bored as Larry Merchant was - and i don't agree with your assessment that it was close at all. Some rounds were close, but overall the fight was very one-sided in terms of scoring. That's just me. I find it interesting that while you correctly assess Toney's stylistic problem as a counterpuncher vs Jones, you don't recognise that Hopkins, as one of the most defensive minded fighters of the last 20 years wouldn't have naturally had the same sorts of trouble with Jones as Toney. Regardless, I accept your argument that both fighters have a differen't style than Hagler. So let's look at the style's of Hagler's oppenents: who di he fight who had the speed, reflexes and power of Roy Jones at middleweight? Keep in mind that not only is the Roy Jones in question faster than the SRL that fought Hagler, he is bigger than both Hagler and SRL, having ruled the Lt Heavy div in the US for years. How is Hagler going to deal with a guy who is faster and bigger than he is? Stylistically, Bryant Brannon tried to do what I think you imagine Hagler doing in the first round of their fight and Jones threw over 100 counter punches off the ropes in the first round and knocked the dude down before the end of the round. Granted Brannon is no Hagler, but he was a top 10 ring magazine contender at the time (can't remember where in the top 10) and he took the only shot Hagler would have. Otherwise how is Hagler going to wear Jones down if he can't hit him?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
Mike South
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I changed my pick, I'm gonna go with Jones by decision.
Jeez, if I had looked up sooner and saw that you agreed with me I wouldn't have typed so much!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

It would be much more of a challenge for me to pick Hagler if he was an orthodox stylist, but Marv was the greatest southpaw champion in history, and RJJ did suffer two of his first three defeats to a southpaw, once by kayo, once by lopsided decision. Yes he was aging, but he was also experienced. A less experienced RJJ does not decision a peak Hagler whose best punch is his right jab. So after further consideration, I'm reiterating my original viewpoint.
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum