Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 1000
Default Training advice for kids session

Hello,

Season is over down here and we are already working out to prepare the next one coming up in couple of months.
I am also a trainer and I am looking for fresh advices and ideas of training session for 7 to 13 years old kids (with half competing). For obvious reasons we don't do much muscle practice and our sessions are based on different scheduled themes.
So let's hear it my fellow trainers/coach. What tips can you give .

Have a nice day.
jyuza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW via Leeds/London
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 1885
Default Re: Training advice for kids session

One thing I'm really big on is a defense drill where one fighter is purely on the defensive whilst the other throws shots a them at 50% power with the focus on speed, accuracy, timing and good form. Perhaps to stop one guy trying to bully another give a number of shots they should throw over the period to ie. 20-30 per minute or whatever you feel is reasonable. This gives one lad a chance to practice his shots against a moving actual opponent without worrying about getting hit back so can try new things and the other a chance to work just on their defense without getting clouted or whatever if they should **** up.

on the heavy bag spend 1 min practising quick long straight shots then moving out, 1min on combinations and 1 min just plant the feet and punch out as fast as they can. You can mix it up spending a minute on big power shots, specific combinations, etc.

Hope these are the kind of thigns you are looking for.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: on the laptop in notts england
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Default Re: Training advice for kids session

we use a floor ladder step-in ,step-out etc
123ko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Default Re: Training advice for kids session

With young kids, 7, 8, or so, I try to catch punches with the mitts and keep them off the heavy bag. It is a good chance to really engrain proper punching and footwork, maybe sling a couple past their heads to get them used to the sound. A lot of time in front of the mirrors, maybe pair them off to practice throwing and catching jabs.
Older kids, 11, 12, 13, should be able to do some heavy bag work, maybe on an 80lb bag, if their technique is good enough. They need to know how to get the body into a punch, and be smart enough to step around a bag and hit it at angles, not straight on.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,711
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training advice for kids session

Interesting Topic, which is something that I am trying to teach various sports coaches, from different Sports. By taking the Child on a trip, off where and When, and Why. Why being the main Topic most of the Time. It should be spread over into, Proprioceptive agility training, Body Skills, and maintaining good Balance and coordinated movement, with as little impact as possible. But the most important Bit is making it Fun.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training advice for kids session

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Interesting Topic, which is something that I am trying to teach various sports coaches, from different Sports. By taking the Child on a trip, off where and When, and Why. Why being the main Topic most of the Time. It should be spread over into, Proprioceptive agility training, Body Skills, and maintaining good Balance and coordinated movement, with as little impact as possible. But the most important Bit is making it Fun.
Cheers pal

Been trying to be creative in each session but some day you just hit the limit and that's why I posted this thread. Some already posted some interesting thing so far and I will definitely try those.
Our gym lacks the proper equipment training so we try to make the maximum possible while being fun but that ain't always an easy job
jyuza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training advice for kids session

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
One thing I'm really big on is a defense drill where one fighter is purely on the defensive whilst the other throws shots a them at 50% power with the focus on speed, accuracy, timing and good form. Perhaps to stop one guy trying to bully another give a number of shots they should throw over the period to ie. 20-30 per minute or whatever you feel is reasonable. This gives one lad a chance to practice his shots against a moving actual opponent without worrying about getting hit back so can try new things and the other a chance to work just on their defense without getting clouted or whatever if they should **** up.

on the heavy bag spend 1 min practising quick long straight shots then moving out, 1min on combinations and 1 min just plant the feet and punch out as fast as they can. You can mix it up spending a minute on big power shots, specific combinations, etc.

Hope these are the kind of thigns you are looking for.
Most definitely, thank you sir
Been doing the defense/offense thing also and we had tremendous results and feedback from the little gremlins about it so keep posting good tips like that.
jyuza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,711
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training advice for kids session

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuza View Post
Cheers pal

Been trying to be creative in each session but some day you just hit the limit and that's why I posted this thread. Some already posted some interesting thing so far and I will definitely try those.
Our gym lacks the proper equipment training so we try to make the maximum possible while being fun but that ain't always an easy job
You dont need expensive equipment, one of the Football Clubs I work with the coach are probably the wealthiest. Just got rid of all their expensive weight equipment out of there Academy. Its amazing what you can do, with Fitballs Rubber and Logs and a creative Spirit
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Default Re: Training advice for kids session

Years ago, I knew a girl that had 4 year old son. He saw a poster of Johnny tapia on my wall and said that Tapia was his favorite boxer, so I'd dig tape out of my collection, of Tapia fights and we'd watch them. Pretty soon, he could dig through 75 or 80 or more tapes and find the ones with tapia fights and go right to them. Before much longer, I had a couple pairs of kids gloves and he and I would "spar." I hung a double end bag upside down, so he could hit it, and he'd work on that for hours.
I got to showing him off, taking him places so people could see this little kid slip punches and throw combinations. I eventually got him to watch other fighters and he'd pick things up so quickly...Sometimes when he'd try to get under a punch he'd just bend at the waist and make himself dizzy, but, in general, he was really damn slick, especially for a 4 year old. People would say that there was no way I could've trained a kid that young to do all that, and they were right.
He was a very stubborn young man, so you couldn't tell him anything, but you could encourage him to try things, and then create a scenario in which that thing would work, and then he'd have it, and go back to it in similar situations. He told me once that I was a good coach, I said all the right things, it was just too bad that he already knew everything about boxing. And he did. He'd see something on tape and have it right away, and if you could con him into doing it a few times, in "sparring", then he'd come back to it later.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013