Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #76
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: what happened to silva in the first fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
the ref is gonna have to drag silva off of sonnen at the end of the fight, i think he'll just keep hitting him even when the fights over.

i presume you're all talking about the weigh-ins? haven't seen them, probably won't be shown.
Perhaps a sustained Babalu-like anaconda followed by a lengthy suspension
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #77
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
You can't really tell shit from these things, but it's fun to speculate.

Agreed that Chael is right in Anderson's head though. Silva's body language wasn't at all the calm alpha male that he usually is. He was clearly very agitated from being so close to Chael, he wasn't putting on a show for the crowd. Even against Belfort he was much more composed and arrogant with his confidence. Now he just looks furious and wound up.

Even at the end when the audience calls out to Sonnen, Anderson is off to the side swaying from one foot to another, warming up his knuckles and staring at Chael. But Sonnen refuses to acknowledge his challenge, which you can see aggravates Silva even further.

Chael is definately in Anderson's head bigtime. Whether this will work for him or against him remains to be seen. I only hope for two things. One, that he makes weight. Two, that he doesn't choke, and brings Silva the best fight he's capable of.

i know, it will mean **** all if silva catches him with a clean shot in the first round
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #78
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Sonnen happened to him. I expect it to happen again, Silva would have to up his game 100% to make it even close. He still will have a chance at a submission or even a knock out, but I would not count on it. Sonnen has the eye of the tiger and Silva is not looking to confident.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #79
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
i know, it will mean **** all if silva catches him with a clean shot in the first round
Sonnen has an iron jaw, tremendous will to win, and the toughness that comes from a lifetime of high-level wrestling. Wrestlers tend to do better than strikers when they are hurt, their instinct is generally to dive for a leg and tie their opponent up rather than cover up or try to punch their way out of trouble.

Chael could certainly be stopped by strikes from the greatest striker in UFC history. But Anderson is going to find it more difficult by far to KO Sonnen than it was to knock out most of his other opponents. A knockout is certainly not impossible, but if Anderson wins it's far more likely to be by submission than by TKO or points.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #80
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Or he could knock him down, keep punching and wait for the Ref to stop the fight...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #81
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Or he could knock him down, keep punching and wait for the Ref to stop the fight...
This is what I see happening.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #82
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Either that or Anderson fires some elbows to his skull with Chael trapped in his guard, forcing Sonnen to posture up into triangle town
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #83
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

IF Anderson is able to keep distance and keep it standing, I see him drawing the stand-up fight out and embarassing Chael like he did with Forrest.

I personally don't think that will happen. I think he is going to have to knock Chael out quickly, or he's gonna get wrestle ****ed again.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #84
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Yeah, I said that's a realistic possibility a couple of times.

"Chael could certainly be stopped by strikes from the greatest striker in UFC history."

"A knockout is certainly not impossible"

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #85
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
i didn't see the first fight as i didn't have pay-per-view at that time, so i've only seen snippets of it.
i've only seen a few of silva's fights and he always seems elusive, so how come sonnen hit him so much?

looking at the bits i have seen of their fight, silva looked a different fighter than the one i've seen in other fights.
was it just a case of sonnen making silva look bad because he was too good for him?
did silva simply have one of those 'off' days that fighters experience sometimes?

although sonnen had the best of it on the ground, in the end he couldn't finish the fight there.
was that because with silva being a black belt in jui-jistu he was able to stop sonnen doing that? or was he just fortunate in the end that he lasted?

people sing sonnen's praises and rightly so, however he didn't win.
a fight is five rounds, and the fighters have those five rounds to win. it doesn't matter which round.
silva won in the last round. i can't see that he was lucky like a lot of people say.
part of being a great fighter is to take the opportunity when it arises, which he did, and he won.
he survived the onslaught then submitted him. silva doesn't seem to get any praise for doing so.

Sonnen just happened to be a bad match up for Silva. But maybe the effect of surprise will be totally gone in the rematch. And Sonnen was also on roids.

I'm surprised Sonnen is still fighting for the ufc. Dana is usually very strict on steroid issues.
boxingcar is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #86
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcar View Post
Sonnen just happened to be a bad match up for Silva. But maybe the effect of surprise will be totally gone in the rematch. And Sonnen was also on roids.

I'm surprised Sonnen is still fighting for the ufc. Dana is usually very strict on steroid issues.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #87
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Henderson also gave Silva tons of problems before Silva submitted him.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #88
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Henderson also gave Silva tons of problems before Silva submitted him.
Thats because Hendo thought he could stand with Silva (Rightfully so, His Right hand is atomic) but got caught. But he basically raped Silva in the first round.

Chael to his advantage will just go straight for the takedown, Hes not gonna play but eventually will get reckless and possibly get subbed again.

The problem for Silva is Hes just not as strong as Chael to fend off takedowns.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #89
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
Thats because Hendo thought he could stand with Silva (Rightfully so, His Right hand is atomic) but got caught. But he basically raped Silva in the first round.

Chael to his advantage will just go straight for the takedown, Hes not gonna play but eventually will get reckless and possibly get subbed again.

What happened to Allison Stokes? Has that ship sailed?
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #90
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post

Thats true, Silva is wiry, but not really that strong. Thats one reason Chael was able to take him down easier then Bisping.
Big Red is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum