Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Sonnen vs Bisping

2 Things:

Why was Sonnen not able to take Bisping down and control him as easily as anticipated? Is Bisping just underrated?

I haven't seen it in a while but why do people think Bisping won this fight? Is it because he did better than expected? I had Chael easily winning one round, and then I also had him edging the 3rd with the takedown and the little bit of GnP.
BewareofDawg is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: Sonnen vs Bisping

Styles make fights, and I have the same scorecard (only until I scored it).
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Not impressed with Sonnen's performance myself.

I think it's a case of a little bit of a lot of things:

Styles make fights

Bisping is underrated

Sonnen was hurt early by a strike and took a while to get back into the fight

Just an off night???

Not as good without roids?

Personally, I had Bisping winning 2-1. And I'm all but certain that Chael did as well.

Anyway, who the **** knows what's going to happen this weekend. I'm hyped for this one for sure. If Anderson KOs or subs him, I'll be gutted but it will be good at the same time because I'm not an Anderson Silva hater. And if Chael wins that will be brilliant.

Personally, I expect Silva to win with some ease. But who knows? It's going to be a first-ballot HOF grudge match showdown regardless of what the outcome is.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

Styles make fights

Bisping is underrated

Just an off night???

Personally, I had Bisping winning 2-1. And I'm all but certain that Chael did as well.

Anyway, who the **** knows what's going to happen this weekend. I'm hyped for this one for sure. If Anderson KOs or subs him, I'll be gutted but it will be good at the same time because I'm not an Anderson Silva hater. And if Chael wins that will be brilliant.

Personally, I expect Silva to win with some ease. But who knows? It's going to be a first-ballot HOF grudge match showdown regardless of what the outcome is.

Win, lose or draw....the post fight interviews are going to be epic!
BewareofDawg is online now  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Bisping took the first two rounds but Sonnen dominated in the third. Schael was lucky to get away with a "W".
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Bisping underrated Haggis ??? By who ?
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

Styles make fights

Bisping is underrated

Just an off night???

How exactly is Bisping underrated?

Since getting put to sleep by a genuine top fighter (Hendo), he has beaten five cans (Kang, Miller, Akiyama, Rivera, Mayhem), lost to a shot fighter (Wanderlei), and lost to a top contender (Sonnen).

And yet he is still universally ranked as a top 10 mw, and in many peoples' reckoning he is top 5.

I ask again - how can he be underrated under these circumstances?

I'd say his overall rating just now is favourable/fortunate. The last top 10(ish) middleweight he beat was Leben in 2008. And Leben is lucky if he's top 10.

If you look at the actual wins on Bisping's resume, it's very very weak indeed for a supposed top 5 fighter. Overrated??
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
How exactly is Bisping underrated?

Since getting put to sleep by a genuine top fighter (Hendo), he has beaten five cans (Kang, Miller, Akiyama, Rivera, Mayhem), lost to a shot fighter (Wanderlei), and lost to a top contender (Sonnen).
Not sure if I would call those guys cans. Lower level guys, but still decent tests. Mayhem did look like a total can in that fight, though.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Not sure if I would call those guys cans. Lower level guys, but still decent tests. Mayhem did look like a total can in that fight, though.
Well, none of them were close to top 10, so I fail to see how those wins against losses to Wanderlei and Sonnen leave him as an "underrated" fighter when most people have him top 5 and all people have him top 10. If anything, he doesn't even deserve that.

I think Bisping is a good, solid fighter and I'd have him in my own top 10 just now, but when I think about it logically, should he be there? Can it be justified based on his wins and losses since the KO loss to Hendo?

Kang and Dan Miller were mediocrities who'd be lucky to be top 20, Akiyama and Mayhem were pointless failures in the UFC 185 division, and Rivera has never been and never will be a top 10 fighter.

It seems Bisping's strongest claim to be in the top 10 is that he lost a competitive 3-rounder with Sonnen. That's the best thing he's done since he lost another fight, to Rashad Evans several centuries ago.

Am I being unfair or missing something here? I think MB is a good fighter and he's in my top 10 just now, but to say he is underrated is crazy. Much closer to being the opposite, going by the facts.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

He was aggressive and did take him down but its very hard to hold Bisping down and always has been. He has the stamina and defensive jits to keep trying to escape. Always has done, you could see it versus Kang, Rashad etc
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I think Bispings style had a lot to do with it....... very close fight but chael just edged it.

I know this sounds ridiculous but i'd like Bisping to rematch Hendo after Jones brutalises him..... I give Bisping a much better chance this time around
kel is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Well, none of them were close to top 10, so I fail to see how those wins against losses to Wanderlei and Sonnen leave him as an "underrated" fighter when most people have him top 5 and all people have him top 10. If anything, he doesn't even deserve that.

I think Bisping is a good, solid fighter and I'd have him in my own top 10 just now, but when I think about it logically, should he be there? Can it be justified based on his wins and losses since the KO loss to Hendo?

Kang and Dan Miller were mediocrities who'd be lucky to be top 20, Akiyama and Mayhem were pointless failures in the UFC 185 division, and Rivera has never been and never will be a top 10 fighter.

It seems Bisping's strongest claim to be in the top 10 is that he lost a competitive 3-rounder with Sonnen. That's the best thing he's done since he lost another fight, to Rashad Evans several centuries ago.

Am I being unfair or missing something here? I think MB is a good fighter and he's in my top 10 just now, but to say he is underrated is crazy. Much closer to being the opposite, going by the facts.
Some people say he was unlucky not to get the wins against Sonnen (no2) and Wandy (top10) so he is most certainly a top 10er and anyone that doesn't think so is underrating him.
kel is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
2 Things:

Why was Sonnen not able to take Bisping down and control him as easily as anticipated? Is Bisping just underrated?

I haven't seen it in a while but why do people think Bisping won this fight? Is it because he did better than expected? I had Chael easily winning one round, and then I also had him edging the 3rd with the takedown and the little bit of GnP.
ACtually Chael barely won round 1 but clearly won 3. I assume you have the 2 mixed up.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
2ironmt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

some writer (poster?) broke it down pretty well and related it to chael's TRT use. according to the writer, TRT makes u put on muscle and retain water (i believe he wrote) but basically makes it harder to cut weight. So as chael ages and continues w TRT, the cut gets harder and it takes more out of him. Hence, you get peak performances leading to and including the Silva fight and you see him a little diminished in subsequent fights. the idea seemed to make sense to me.
2ironmt is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #15
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

chael thought bisping had won.
davidwatts is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum