Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Could I have some critique of a round of heavybag work?

Haven't posted here in forever, but since my boxing gym closed down, I've been trying to get better on my own, and I think I've improved a lot. However, I still have a lot to work on. Besides keeping my hands up (was last round of HB work after an overhead press workout), what are some things I can work on? I tried to work on movement in this video more than striking, so that's why I'm not jabbing while moving, doing many body shots, or doubling-up my jab, or really throwing combos at all.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOZLvpGMrNk[/ame]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MURDR; 07-05-2012 at 03:41 PM.
MURDR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Jake_Lamotta

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could I have some critique of a round of heavybag work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
Haven't posted here in forever, but since my boxing gym closed down, I've been trying to get better on my own, and I think I've improved a lot. However, I still have a lot to work on. Besides keeping my hands up (was last round of HB work after an overhead press workout), what are some things I can work on? I tried to work on movement in this video more than striking.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks in advance.
I would like to hear what you think after watching that video of yourself? Lets pretend that was a video of someone else what would you say to them? I'll give my feedback after.
Jake_Lamotta is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Lamotta View Post
I would like to hear what you think after watching that video of yourself? Lets pretend that was a video of someone else what would you say to them? I'll give my feedback after.
I dunno. I'm not experienced, so yeah. Obviously, keep my lead arm up and stop dropping it, and maybe get more on my toes? I dunno...

EDIT: And I probably should've got the girl's number for shits and gigs.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
White Tiger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Didnt see to many body shots there - just the same old jab jab - time and again.

I see heavybags like that - as more for body punching work.

Jabbing and moving -to head - is more suited for the floor to ceiling ball.
White Tiger is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Yeah, I was just focusing on movement in this video, and just threw some jabs and hooks in.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

why is your right hand in front of your face?? grab your ear like your talking on a cell phone and leave it there
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Just a quick observation. I notice you hold your jab hand (right in your instance) real low and when throwing the jab, you don't extend your arm much.

Also when you throw your right jab, what is the reason your left hand is following it several inches away from your guard. It looks as though you are trying to throw both arms out at once. You don't do this much when throwing the right hook.

Like someone mentioned, get up on your toes a bit more and pivot more into your shots
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
why is your right hand in front of your face?? grab your ear like your talking on a cell phone and leave it there

That would be his left, he's a southpaw. Almost looks like the Mayweather stance but I doubt he has the reflexes and speed for it to be a good fit for him.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What were you trying to accomplish with your movement? You kept putting yourself in bad spots, where you couldn't hit the bag, but, if it had arms, it could hit you. Also, when you jab, you hunch forward and push your arm out half way. You need to shoot that right arm all the way out.
When you are working on movement, this is where it begins: You need to coordinate your hands and feet. That means, when your front foot moves, you fire that jab. When your back foot moves, you shoot the left hand. Also, you need to treat that bag like it is the body of the guy you are fighting, and move around it accordingly. Keep it in range, and yourself where you can hit it, or step away. You were constantly putting yourself, while in range, in spots where you could not punch.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
usarmy6440
All day everyday BEASt

As said before you just need to keep your back hand on your chin when you throwing the jab you can still catch a punch and looks like your trying to throw both hands at the same time only time your hand was on your chin is when you threw a hook which is some bad ju ju.
usarmy6440 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

What's with moving your back hand forward as you throw the jab?

Well, at least you're not dropping it down like some other people.

Not sure if someone has brought it up, but you lean on your front foot a lot. That leaves your left cross with no power.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

^I dunno why I do it. I just need more practice. I definitely notice that all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
That would be his left, he's a southpaw. Almost looks like the Mayweather stance but I doubt he has the reflexes and speed for it to be a good fit for him.
Yeah, Mayweather uses the shoulder roll defense, also known as the "Philly Shell". Obviously, I can't use that defense. I'm not trying to. I just have my lead hand that low because I'm tired and I had just done heavy overhead presses. Having your lead hand across the body would be Floyd's defense, but I usually have it up really high to be in good positioning for parrying.

I'm trying to master this stance:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiFnITDSn4w[/ame]

It helps keep my opponent from attacking too aggressively, it's very easy to parry the jab from this stance, it helps with not flairing the elbow while jabbing, helps you jab quicker, and it's easier to feint.

I have my rear hand in front of my face because, since I'm a southpaw, I have to worry about jabs and hooks much more than straights. Since obviously, they'd have a long way to go, in theory, I should be able to get my rear hand back to my face quickly.

With that being said, I only use this stance when fighting on the outside. When I go inside, I have both hands on my cheekbone, because of the obvious flaws this would have against the hook inside.

Obviously, I'm not an expert on defense or anything, but I feel more comfortable having both hands in front of my face and my jab extended out a bit more.

Is this like a cardinal sin for a beginner? Or should I just do whatever stance I feel comfortable in, as long as it's not something ridiculous (like the Philly Shell)?
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Try to work on snapping punches too. Notice how much the bag was moving? It's was swinging all over the place and you weren't hitting it that hard... you were just pushing it. With snapping punches, the bag will move very little (even if you are hitting it hard).

More body shots.

Focus on combos of 2-3 punches and then step. Vary the shots. Two quick jabs, hard hook to the body and then roll out.

And I didn't understand when the bag would swing past your side. As noted if that was a true opponent, that's a dangerous habit.

Keep working and post another video down the road.
bck620 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I've tried "snapping" my punches, but the bag still seems to go crazy...only way I can get the bag to not go crazy is to barely hit it with any power whatsoever (i.e. tapping it).

As for the bag on my side, I would never do that with a real opponent. It's hard for me to get my movement right with the HB because of all the wild swinging, and it's very unlike an actual person...I mean, it's too predictable, because I know where it'll move when I hit it, obviously.

That's probably the biggest problem for me in regards to training, not being able to spar or anything, because there are no nearby gyms.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 568

Sorry but that drill was pointless. If you want to work on movement you dont need a heavy bag
withoutwire is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing