Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #31
bam-bam
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: Could I have some critique of a round of heavybag work?

Dont try and master any stance. Get your hands up. The way your lead hand was in front of your face all the time just left you open to a looping right or a right hook. It only protected your face when jabbing.

Although I have a feeling you'll disregard what people say, post a long ass post about why the "Philly shell just feels right" and then get your ****ing head punched in, in your first fight.

Learn to box in the traditional sense, hands up chin down. As you develop, so will your style. As you get more comfortable/confident in the ring, you might feel that your lead hand a bit lower, gives you a bit more fluid head movement etc. everybody is different.

Doing this from the get go though is a sure way to get punched from one side of the ring to another.
bam-bam is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #32
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

^Well, my thinking was that I'll face orthodox fighters like 90% of the time, so I'd probably be able to react quick enough to ge my hand back up to protect against the cross. I may be wrong, but that was my thinking. And I said before that I wasn't trying to do the "Philly Shell" defense. It just appeared that way because it was after like a 2 and a half hour workout, and I need to work on my delt strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Your faults:
Slow foot speed
Very lazy on feet
Feet arent landing properly when you punch (power and solid base is lost as a result of being on your toes or balls of feet)
Throw the punch BEFORE you get into range.
Head movement is sluggish and useless
Dropping that lead hand after the jab (Forget half guard)
Jab faster!
Jab from a little farther away so you get full extension (too close!)
Dont raise both your shoulder when you jab.
Why are you raising your other hand when you jab?
Stop leaning your head forward
Your trunk and hip power just isnt there
Upperbody is stiff moving it helps you be more fluid
Generally slow punches, and they dont have snap (it just seems more like a push)
The lead hook was smothered.
Work rate must be faster
You look like you're Tired in that video.

One at a time...
(Dont get upset)
Thanks. And no, I don't get upset at constructive criticism at all, it's really helpful. The other ones are obvious, but what do you mean by the lead hook was "smothered"?
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #33
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

You move into range although your in no position to throw anything, infact you would eat a cross everytime. Your movement is way off so try improve that first of all
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #34
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Weirdest heavy bag video I've ever seen... You don't punch from your feet, the punches you did throw were pokes. You're a big guy but that movement was very plodding and slow, everything in the same tempo. That left hand is held in a bad position and the poking thing you do when you jab is very strange. Have you ever sparred? I'm guessing no?
You'll pick up what you're doing wrong very quickly when you spar with someone.
If you want to work on movement then shadowbox and stop trying to run before you can crawl. You're trying to be tricky in that video but you don't have a grasp yet on a basic boxing stance or any of the punches. Work on small things and build up. Are you left handed? Your movement to me suggests righty trying to fight lefty.
I don't want to be mean but that was very strange. Rigid and stiff while trying to be perfect, you won't get far with that. Do some sparring and you'll learn what works and what doesn't. Don't try and emulate any style you see on a video, you need to work with what you have. For someone with your build you would never be able to fight in the style you're seemingly trying to use. You're never going to be a stylist unless you lose a LOT of weight. You're going to have to learn to bang and get on the inside once you learn things like balance and jabbing.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #35
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

^Yes, I'm left-handed. I was about to spar at my gym one week (had it set up and everything), but I tore my ACL (for the third straight year), and by the time I recovered, the school year was over, and I had to go home for the summer. Since then, I've had to transfer colleges, so now I really have no gym, because there aren't any near me...

But I don't want to just stop and wait possibly a few years before I can find a good gym.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #36
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
^Yes, I'm left-handed. I was about to spar at my gym one week (had it set up and everything), but I tore my ACL (for the third straight year), and by the time I recovered, the school year was over, and I had to go home for the summer. Since then, I've had to transfer colleges, so now I really have no gym, because there aren't any near me...

But I don't want to just stop and wait possibly a few years before I can find a good gym.

Wait, you have torn your ACL 3 years in a row???? Even though you're young, that is a hell of an injury to recover from even if one knee tore once and the other twice. If the same knee has torn 3 times, you should forget about boxing. The roadwork, skipping, sparring, shadow boxing, etc. to get in good enough shape would likely tear it/them up again.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #37
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
Wait, you have torn your ACL 3 years in a row???? Even though you're young, that is a hell of an injury to recover from even if one knee tore once and the other twice. If the same knee has torn 3 times, you should forget about boxing. The roadwork, skipping, sparring, shadow boxing, etc. to get in good enough shape would likely tear it/them up again.
That's not true, he'll need some muscle reeducation but you can recover from those injuries.
Probably explains the movement.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #38
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
Left leg once, right leg twice. Osteoarthritis, and lots of other tears, lesions, bruised bones, and even a microfracture.

And I've heard this a billion times. But no matters how many injuries I have, I'll still continue to play football and box. You can call it stupid, I don't care. I'm not willing to give up because of a couple of injuries. Not trying to sound like "Rocky" or some bullshit like that, but I enjoy lifting weights, playing football, and (attempting) to box.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #39
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

You absolutely HAVE TO spar to improve. It'll give you a mental picture of what happens in the ring, and you can act accordingly when you hit the bag. Right now you're having to construct an idea of what fighting is like.

Just make a trip to a gym and spar. There's a guy I know of who trains in his garage and drives 2 hours to spar, twice a week. He's a state golden gloves open champ and doesn't even have 10 fights. A guy who posted on here trained at home and would take a bus 5hr to spar once a week. This guy is international level. You gotta work with what you got, but you gotta spar.

Also the jab from an orthodox fighter is the last thing to worry about. The natural counter for everything a southpaw does is a right hand, and you will NOT have time to react.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #40
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

^But, I mean, I'm a college student going to a very expensive university, I don't have the money (nor time) to drive 5 1/2 hours to my old gym. I wish I could, but that's more than a tank of gas for me to go there and back. And again, I don't have time because of school. (Plus, my car is wrecked)

There IS one "boxercise" gym, but they don't have any bags, pads, or anything. They don't hit at all, don't spar, and it's $100/month at some fitness center. Waste of time and money.

I found a gym a few days ago that has kickboxing, but not regular boxing. I wouldn't mind doing kickboxing (I mean, I just want to get to a gym), so I sent them an email and left a voicemail and I'm waiting on their response...hopefully, it's not like $100/month.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #41
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Makes it a bit difficult. You'll develop bad habits on the heavy bag, try to shadowbox as if you're sparring an opponent. Without ever doing it though it's going to be hard to visualise accurately.
How's your quad strength and walking gait since the ACL injuries? With an injury like that you compensate by flexing your hips and using your hammys more than your quads, there are joint receptors in your ACL as well so your balance and feel is going to be compromised after something like that.
Get out your wobble board and and focus on balancing exercises above everything else.
If I were you I'd forget about trying to learn sporting skills until you've learned balance and movement skills to support you and provide a stable foundation to build off.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #42
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Left leg once, right leg twice. Osteoarthritis, and lots of other tears, lesions, bruised bones, and even a microfracture.

And I've heard this a billion times. But no matters how many injuries I have, I'll still continue to play football and box. You can call it stupid, I don't care. I'm not willing to give up because of a couple of injuries. Not trying to sound like "Rocky" or some bullshit like that, but I enjoy lifting weights, playing football, and (attempting) to box.
Well that is stupid, and you won't progress. You'll get reinjured.
It's funny because you think that mindset is demonstrating mental strength when in fact it's demonstrating your mental weakness.
Mental strength is about being patient, being focused and realistic while using little steps to achieve big things.
Your mentality is lazy and impatient.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #43
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Well that is stupid, and you won't progress. You'll get reinjured.
It's funny because you think that mindset is demonstrating mental strength when in fact it's demonstrating your mental weakness.
Mental strength is about being patient, being focused and realistic while using little steps to achieve big things.
Your mentality is lazy and impatient.
Well no, obviously, I have to do it with realistic timeframes. I am patient with it, but once I heal, I'm not gonna like take a year or two off or anything like that.

As for my quad strength, it's pretty bad. It's getting better, but right now, I can only squat like ~330. Hamstrings are definitely much stronger, as I can deadlift much more than I can squat.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #44
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well no, obviously, I have to do it with realistic timeframes. I am patient with it, but once I heal, I'm not gonna like take a year or two off or anything like that.

As for my quad strength, it's pretty bad. It's getting better, but right now, I can only squat like ~330. Hamstrings are definitely much stronger, as I can deadlift much more than I can squat.
Everyone can deadlift more than they can squat, your hamstrings still aren't going to be as strong as your quads. To be honest I really can't be bothered, you don't understand basic functions of muscles and you refuse to treat yourself. You're not healed, don't you get that? Hence your uncoordinated movement?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #45
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Everyone can deadlift more than they can squat, your hamstrings still aren't going to be as strong as your quads. To be honest I really can't be bothered, you don't understand basic functions of muscles and you refuse to treat yourself. You're not healed, don't you get that? Hence your uncoordinated movement?
I do understand the functions of muscles, and I know that everyone DLs more than they squat, but with my deadlift, you'd think I'd be squatting like 500 now...

And believe me, I've torn my ACL three times. I don't know a whole lot about boxing obviously, but I know what my knees can/can't take and what aggravates them.
MURDR is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing