Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tyson Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
I like Fury. He's a character. And he can jab and hit and move. No doubt about it.

BUT. I can't get over his physique. Boxing champs usually don't look like 97 lb. weaklings that get sand kicked in their face on the beach. I mean, he's 6'9", so he doesn't weigh 97 lb., but he looks like that 97 lb weakling to me, just twice as tall.

Can anybody here remember any HW champ that looked like the 97 lb weakling we all remember from the Charles Atlas ads? I can't. All the champs I can remember looked like they could kick Charles Atlas' ass.

Is it possible there is a superman inside that Clark Kent suit?
Its called gigantism, guys of these insane heights cant do mr universe builds. If they could? That would be truly frightening!
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #32
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
Its called gigantism, guys of these insane heights cant do mr universe builds. If they could? That would be truly frightening!
fury hasn't got gigantism.

in the pic of him and Wlad he' only a shade bigger even though he's standing on his tippy toes slyly and wlad is relaxed, leaning slightly

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #33
trakam
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post

in the pic of him and Wlad he' only a shade bigger even though he's standing on his tippy toes slyly and wlad is relaxed, leaning slightly

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Any Lee is the only one doing the obligatory fist pose, this picture is probably fake
trakam is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #34
piscator
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Yes, I know Fury doesn't have gigantism. He's healthy and normal, and very powerful, obviously.
piscator is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 AM   #35
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It's strange that people are obssessing about his physique, or saying he looks weak for his size.

He's 6'9, he's huge. He's lost a lot of that flab and is looking more the part. With his sheer size he's certainly capable of generating some strength and power.

No, he's not got the same Adonis-like physique of Wlad Klitschko, or as strong as the matured version of Lennox Lewis. But he's certainly far from looking like a "weakling".

He looks similar to how Gerry Cooney was in his prime, and is probably quite a bit stronger.
He looks more like a fighter than Robert Helenius.
Guys like Ibragimov and Chagaev had no impressive physiques either, and are not even big.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #36
nick_1204
Lil Floyd
ESB Full Member

His past few opponents havent been amazing but they have all been ok for an up an coming young fighter.

Its good to see him fighting people at a decent level and not bringing in some serious bums every other fight like he used to.

Its also good to see him finally in shape. I know he can still loose about 10 pounds and build some muslce, especially on his legs but now he is coming in around the same weight each fight and not blowing up like he used to.

I would like to see him step up opponents to fringe world level now, Adamek would be good or maybe Perez but im not sure getting one of those is a viable option on one of micks shows. No one who has a lot to lose will want to face an unbeaten fighter on a small show, abroad.

But all in all, ive always been impreessed and he is starting to look more stable as a fighter. He probably needs about 5 good fights against good oposition and to make that final leap in the conditioning department and i think he could challenge Povetkin. But i have serious doubts over whether he could ever take on a Klitschko successfully.
nick_1204 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #37
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

They'll always be levels apart (Fury & Klitschko). I just can't envisage Fury ever beating him, there's no shame in that though.

He's still only 24, he doing well, seems to be maturing mentally and physically which should mean he gets better. Let's get real though - there's no way Adamek comes over to fight on a Hennessey show.

Hennessey will want to see Dimitrenko and Chagaev put in another sub par performance before he tries to get them over.

Franklin Lawrence, Tor Hamer or Travis Walker are fighters that Hennessey could get over here.

If they want to go WBO route then Carlos Takam (never been stopped African) is the only available/safe opponent likely to be ranked above him when the new rankings come out.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #38
Let's Boogie!
"Smooth Operator"
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2745

Get fury in with dimitrenko next please.
Let's Boogie! is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #39
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
They'll always be levels apart (Fury & Klitschko). I just can't envisage Fury ever beating him, there's no shame in that though.

He's still only 24, he doing well, seems to be maturing mentally and physically which should mean he gets better. Let's get real though - there's no way Adamek comes over to fight on a Hennessey show.

Hennessey will want to see Dimitrenko and Chagaev put in another sub par performance before he tries to get them over.

Franklin Lawrence, Tor Hamer or Travis Walker are fighters that Hennessey could get over here.

If they want to go WBO route then Carlos Takam (never been stopped African) is the only available/safe opponent likely to be ranked above him when the new rankings come out.
on face value i tend to agree, but if you go back, when Wlad was the same number of fights as fury he was still 5 or 6 fights away from getting smashed to bits by Purrity. and getting knocked sown by unknown steve pannell. At that stage everyone Wrote Wlad off as a chinny giant who would get mullered by anyone with a punch, amir khan style

all i'm saying is fury has a long way to go, and wlad himself wasn't the all conquering force he is now when he was at the stage fury is. we still need to wait a couple of years to really see what fury is all about imo

Even now, who (other than K2) would be a lock to beat fury? Adamek? Arreola? Seth Mitchell? Fury is well and truly live against any of them.

he's in a good space
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #40
ryanm8655
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3731

I don't get the fury love at all...I just don't see how anyone can compare him to wlad or consider him world class...
ryanm8655 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #41
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
on face value i tend to agree, but if you go back, when Wlad was the same number of fights as fury he was still 5 or 6 fights away from getting smashed to bits by Purrity. and getting knocked sown by unknown steve pannell. At that stage everyone Wrote Wlad off as a chinny giant who would get mullered by anyone with a punch, amir khan style

all i'm saying is fury has a long way to go, and wlad himself wasn't the all conquering force he is now when he was at the stage fury is. we still need to wait a couple of years to really see what fury is all about imo

Even now, who (other than K2) would be a lock to beat fury? Adamek? Arreola? Seth Mitchell? Fury is well and truly live against any of them.

he's in a good space
Haye would KO him, no doubt. Price is 50/50.

You have a point but go further back and compare even their amateur records. No comparison really.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #42
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Initially I have to admit I thought Fury was a bit of a clown and wasnt going to go anywhere, he did look good on Saturday but its pretty easy to look good when the guy in front of you just walks towards you in straight lines.

Shorts were awful and exposed his skinny legs, he's going to need to strengthen them up and may be the reason he's gone down fairly easy in previous fights.

He's young, has plenty of time but needs to start stepping up a bit, I have a feeling Mick is protecting the 0 too much, I dont think a loss to a decent name would make much impact on his career.

C'mon Mick get Adamek next, others have mentioned they would struggle with that due to small hall venue, it was also shown US.

How many were at the venue on Saturday? viweing figures must be good so why not Adamek, he's used to fighting US small hall venues.
rampant is online now  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #43
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
Initially I have to admit I thought Fury was a bit of a clown and wasnt going to go anywhere, he did look good on Saturday but its pretty easy to look good when the guy in front of you just walks towards you in straight lines.

Shorts were awful and exposed his skinny legs, he's going to need to strengthen them up and may be the reason he's gone down fairly easy in previous fights.

He's young, has plenty of time but needs to start stepping up a bit, I have a feeling Mick is protecting the 0 too much, I dont think a loss to a decent name would make much impact on his career.

C'mon Mick get Adamek next, others have mentioned they would struggle with that due to small hall venue, it was also shown US.

How many were at the venue on Saturday? viweing figures must be good so why not Adamek, he's used to fighting US small hall venues.

Adamek is a pretty big draw in Newark. No way does he fight Fury in UK, they'd take that fight in Newark in a flash IMO
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #44
REEVO
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Anyone else impressed with him tonight? Granted, the opposition was poor but for the first time...probably ever, I thought Fury looked physically impressive. He usually starts off fairly quick but that snap in his punches rapidly declines. Tonight, however, I thought he was faster than usual and that speed carried until the fight was stopped. His timing on the uppercut was really nice too and he seemed to be carrying a bit more power.

I was impressed. Maddalone was never going to be a true test but I think he was up against his best opponent since Chisora and he looked good. He looked better than Boytsov, Adamek and Mormeck did against Maddalone, for what that's worth.

Speaking of Adamek, Fury would beat him up pretty easily, I think. I really hope that fight is next.
The best combo's i have seen Fury throw was against Firtha, he really suprised me that night and plus he nearly got banged out..
I have always liked Fury and i see him beating most of the heavyweights about at the moment inclueding Price..
REEVO is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #45
The Chosen
Bada Bing! Bada Boom!
ESB Senior Member

They'll stick Holyfield in there and hype it up as the man who beat Mike Tyson wanting to beat another Tyson or some shit.
The Chosen is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum