Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920
Default Re: How can I improve my footwork and stance? (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero_Sennin View Post

Do you live in the country or something so that's why you don't have access to a gym? If you live near or in a city I guarantee there is some place that offers boxing lessons. Try Google out, type in "boxing instruction near 'wherever you live'" and you may be pleasantly surprised.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

or

- Enter address and click 'search nearby'

Although, I can understand living without boxing gyms nearby. I once lived in the middle of the mountain desert, 3 hours away from civilization in all directions.
vibit is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
Ero_Sennin

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibit View Post

or

- Enter address and click 'search nearby'

Although, I can understand living without boxing gyms nearby. I once lived in the middle of the mountain desert, 3 hours away from civilization in all directions.
That's when you take a break from boxing and get real, real good at your road work.
Ero_Sennin is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
That's when you take a break from boxing and get real, real good at your road work.
That's what roommate did...****er runs 10+ miles like it's nothing.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #19
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Do you have a broom?

I think you need to clean that place first before tackling your stance/footwork.
Yeah, I kept slipping on the sand in there. Filmed 3 rounds today, tried to get my footwork down, will post once they upload.

Quote:
Do you live in the country or something so that's why you don't have access to a gym? If you live near or in a city I guarantee there is some place that offers boxing lessons. Try Google out, type in "boxing instruction near 'wherever you live'" and you may be pleasantly surprised.
There is ONE gym, and it's boxercise, the trainers aren't certified, there's no sparring or pads or bags, and it's $100/month. You couldn't pay me to go there.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Alright, here's the videos from today. I tried to get the footwork right, but I still have to think about it, so I'm not constantly hopping around...also, I realize I'm pushing the jab again in my first video. I think I cut that out in the other 2, so the last 2 videos should be a bit better.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MNhto9FvPc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ_I5DBYDVo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDXQC6QMn9U[/ame]
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
Ero_Sennin

Well, your footwork looks a little better then from the first video but that's not saying a whole lot. You need to jump rope and get lighter on your feet and work on just keeping your hands up and moving in different directions without even throwing punches. Your bag work looks like watching a step by step process of throwing a punch and isn't fluid at all. It all starts with the footwork though.

Still, the biggest thing for you is to find a boxing gym or somebody that knows how to box. Hang out in the gym you go to and see if anyone else hits the heavy bag for a workout. If they are decent ask them for some advice or see if you can work some training with them. Not the best way to do it but if that's all you have then you'll have to take your chances with asking somebody who you think is decent (and they may actually be crap).

You have a lot of problems going on beyond your footwork. You're not practicing figuring out distance, you're not fluid, you're lunging with your punches, you're top heavy and leaning forward all the time . . . . all problems that need to be addressed by somebody who can help you out with them. I commend you for your efforts of filming and trying to get advice on this type of forum but until you have maybe 6 months of serious boxing training (on technique, not conditioning) you're not going to be able to use forums, videos, or books as a supplement to training. That's just how it is.

Check out the resources posted so far in this thread to see if you can find anything at least, and use a Google search. If you can't find anything, take your chances with scouting out people using the heavy bag in the gym you're going to now. The importance of actually getting into a gym or finding somebody to train you who knows how to box cannot be stressed enough.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Ero_Sennin

Quote:
That's what roommate did...****er runs 10+ miles like it's nothing.
Yeah, screw that. Not really though as I know running is extremely important as far as working the anaerobic/aerobic capacity and the constant workload it puts on you. Your roommate is a beast, even if he's one of those small guys who would blow away in the wind. Not a lot of people are capable of achieving that, even with a slow, pathetic jog.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 568

MURDR:

This vid explains it perfectly from 6.30:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPwibIUwD9M&feature=related[/ame]
withoutwire is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #24
Ero_Sennin

Awesome video man!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #25
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Unfortunately, I'm the only one who uses the heavybag at my gym. I go at all different hours on all different days and still no one else. I'll have to make due for now with learning from ESB and videos. Stopping and focusing solely on conditioning is not an option. I enjoy hitting the bag...but I don't want to do it just for fitness.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
Ero_Sennin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
Unfortunately, I'm the only one who uses the heavybag at my gym. I go at all different hours on all different days and still no one else. I'll have to make due for now with learning from ESB and videos. Stopping and focusing solely on conditioning is not an option. I enjoy hitting the bag...but I don't want to do it just for fitness.
You should still continue searching. Sometimes gyms are doing well enough by word of mouth that they don't advertise. Go to MMA gyms, Karate, whatever and ask around if they know if there are any boxing gyms. While you're doing that it would probably be smart to work on your conditioning and doing exercises that will transfer over into boxing skills.

Learning to skip rope really well takes a while and helps tremendously with footwork. Look up some rope jumping videos and start working on that. Work on getting proficient in doing calisthenics like pushups, lunges, squats, etc to the point that you can knock out a quick set of 50 without a problem. Work on your running, explosiveness, all that stuff. Getting good and in shape with all that stuff takes MONTHS to achieve, and when you find somewhere to actually box it will all transfer over to the skill set a lot quicker then if you tried to learn without it. In my opinion that's your best option and you're probably going to develop bad habits if you continue to practice bad technique and it's going to cause obstacles for you in the future. Best of luck to you, and keep searching for a boxing gym man.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #27
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Stopping and focusing solely on conditioning is not an option.
Why?

Carry on if you want, ingrain that poor technique into your brain so when/if you ever join a gym you'll have to re-learn how to punch and move.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

^The physical aspect, I shouldn't have a problem with. I've been lifting weights ever since freshman football in high school. I jump rope every day, but there's always room for improvement.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
Ero_Sennin

Quote:
^The physical aspect, I shouldn't have a problem with. I've been lifting weights ever since freshman football in high school. I jump rope every day, but there's always room for improvement.
What is work rest ratio for aerobic interval training for a beginner? What is anaerobic endurance and aerobic endurance and how does each one get conditioned and trained in boxing for maximum effectiveness to maintain proper technique, movement, and punching power without gassing yourself?

Those are very easy questions to answer for somebody who supposedly knows about working out. I'm not on the "weightlifting isn't for boxers" wagon either, but I guarantee you that very little of the weightlifting exercises you did in high school are going to transfer really well into boxing. Interval training, calisthenics, and heavy cardio will give you much more then a big deadlift, squat or bench for boxing. Weight training is not at all traditional for combat sports and it focuses on a lot different philosophy of training for fighting then what a normal high school would probably expose you to.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

You are not a natural Southpaw, I would suggest.
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing